Politics

Honoring the military contributions and sacrifices of African Americans

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#1New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 12:44:32
With the resurgence of virulent racism and bigotry.
There is some history of which those people should be made aware!

The very first man to die in defense of American Independence,was a free Black man named Crispus Attucks. He was shot down by British troops at Concord Bridge in Boston Massachusetts!
During the American Civil War, the Union Army for the first time recruited African Americans.
The 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment was slaughtered by confederate soldiers after they had surrendered,after the failed assault on Fort Wagner in Charleston Harbor! Black soldiers were also massacred after capture by cavalry troopers,led by Brigadier General Nathan Bedford Forrest! (who would go on to found the ku klux klan)

After the Civil War, African Americans were recruited into the US Cavalry to fight in the plains war against Native Americans,who gave
them the name they would be known by for many years,that name was the Buffalo Soldiers. There were Buffalo Soldiers now infantry regiments,at San Juan Hill in Cuba, in the Spanish American War.
Buffalo Soldiers would serve during the "Great War"(WWI).
In WWII African Americans served as soldiers, sailors and airmen, The
Tuskeegee Airmen flew cover missions in fighter planes protecting allied bombers over Europe!
Buffalo Soldiers fought in Korea as the 24th Infantry regiment. The very first Congressional Medal of Honor in Korea was awarded posthumously to a soldier of this regiment. One William Thompson who manned a machine gun until he was killed,allowing the other soldiers of the regiment to retreat from numerically superior Korean forces!
After WWII at long last the military of the United States was desegregated,at the order of Pres. Harry S.Truman.
Since that time African Americans have served in every branch of the US armed forces including the Coast Guard.
vicki On May 28, 2010

Deleted

manhattan,
#2New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 12:46:16
For the past 40 years haven't all troops be honored equally.
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#3New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 12:49:01
Did you read what I wrote thouroughly ? I covered that!
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:03:50
@KAMPA Said

The Tuskeegee Airmen flew cover missions in fighter planes protecting allied bombers over Europe!

There's a new George Lucas film, "Red Tails" about this in the pipeline. A few of the warbirds from the European airshow scene were seen in Red Tails colour schemes this year after filming in the Czech Republic.
Charlemagne On December 10, 2012

Houston,
#5New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:06:20
@KAMPA Said

With the resurgence of virulent racism and bigotry.

Where is this happening?
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#6New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:09:33
The Tuskeegee Airmen flew P51 Mustangs powered by Rolls Royce Merlin Engines manufactured in the USA under liscense, And Republic P47 Thunderbolts!
Excellent planes which were superior to almost all of the German aircraft!
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#7New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:13:06
@Charlemagne Said

Where is this happening?

Apparently it happens every time a person doesn't like Obama's policies.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:35:55
@KAMPA Said

The Tuskeegee Airmen flew P51 Mustangs powered by Rolls Royce Merlin Engines, And Republic P47 Thunderbolts!
Excellent planes which were superior to almost all of the German aircraft!

I think the best sound I've heard this year is a Mustang in a dive. The combination of the Merlin engine and the Mustang's trademark whistle from the wind in the machine gun apertures. Awesome!

Houston,
#9New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:37:28
@Ellen Said

Apparently it happens every time a person doesn't like Obama's policies.

Houston,
#10New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:38:44
@TheMightyOz Said

I think the best sound I've heard this year is a Mustang in a dive. The combination of the Merlin engine and the Mustang's trademark whistle from the wind in the machine gun apertures. Awesome!

Wow-that I would like to see!

Lockeed's P38 Lightning is another impressive sounding fighter.
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#11New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 13:42:49
The German Junkers JU 87 Stuka dive bomber had sirens installed in the wings,which produced that caracteristic screaming sound, that frightened almost everyone who heard it! It always told those on the ground that the Stuka was in a dive!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs