Biology

Evolution question

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:45:43
Some species survive because of their billions at birth with fertilized eggs being an essential food for other species. Especially in the oceans. Flying phase of many insects is for species dispersal not to escape being eaten. Sometimes the young of those species that when as adults get to the top of the food chain, or near it, start at the bottom so only few last beyond their early life stages. Evolution is on a planetary scale not species by species but by how all living species interact. All this can be observed and measured so is part of science and not a belief.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#17New Post! Sep 27, 2009 @ 12:48:48
@richph Said

Who'd have thought a flying ant!! That makes me wonder why everything can't fly, everything can swim. But I agree, Sugarfly, I hate them too, but then I hate all insects and spiders, especially!

That's what I don't understand, Whisper, if nature develops animals so that it's survival of the fittest, surely the end result would be animals that can't be eaten by any other animal?

That's what worries me, El Tino, if there is a biological switch to curtail survival instinct, what about us? Will Nature say we are too many, and how many is too many?

That makes sense, d***ie, I suppose there may be an infinite number of ways to survive!

All ants will fly during their alar stage,ie reproductive season!
Flying male ants will mate with flying females (in the air) the males die after mating, the females go on to found new colonies,or will kill an old Queen and take over her colony!
richph On March 07, 2010

Oxford, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Oct 08, 2009 @ 16:38:39
@KAMPA Said

All ants will fly during their alar stage,ie reproductive season!
Flying male ants will mate with flying females (in the air) the males die after mating, the females go on to found new colonies,or will kill an old Queen and take over her colony!

I didn't know that, Sugarfly, and I have to agree with the posts on here, it is the overall ecosysytem that needs to be balanced out, and it's not a species by species battle, in other words, I suppose it's not survival of the fittest, but survival of the planet.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs