Forums:
Politics

Free Speech and Disorderly Conduct

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Alanna On February 13, 2010

Cincinnati,
#1New Post! Sep 16, 2009 @ 13:38:47
There is a line between free speech and disorderly conduct. Free speech has been held by the courts to mean the right to respectfully disagree with any political, religious or social philosophy.

Disorderly conduct is held as interfering with a speaker's freedom of speech during a lawful assembly where people have gathered to hear the speaker speak. This includes such assemblies as church, town hall meetings, movie theatres, and presidential addresses to joint sessions of Congress.

While Republicans may think that disorderly conduct is ok. let me assure you that we will become a nation of chaos if everyone starts jumping up in church, movie theatres, and meetings and starts disagreeing with everything that is being said and interfering with the speaker's freedom of speech. There are ample venues for Americans to disagree without disorderly conduct.
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#2New Post! Sep 16, 2009 @ 14:25:03
There is no such thing as free speech. At least not in this world.

Cincinnati,
#3New Post! Sep 16, 2009 @ 15:20:56
@Tako_400 Said

Wouldn't your statement above be considered free speech?
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#4New Post! Sep 16, 2009 @ 15:30:55
@Alanna Said

Wouldn't your statement above be considered free speech?

No. I am permitted to say that.

Cincinnati,
#5New Post! Sep 16, 2009 @ 15:55:17
@Tako_400 Said

@Tako_400 Said

No. I am permitted to say that.

But you didn't pay anyone to let you say that, so it was free, right?
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#6New Post! Sep 16, 2009 @ 16:01:43
@Alanna Said

But you didn't pay anyone to let you say that, so it was free, right?

You don't have to pay someone for it to be permitted. All I said was that I was permitted to say it meaning that someone or something ALLOWED me to say it. You do not have a freedom to do something if you are permitted to do it. If the phrase "free speech" means saying something without paying to say it, then I think you're looking at it at a different angle than I am.
Paradigm10 On July 09, 2010

Old Forge,
#7New Post! Sep 17, 2009 @ 15:59:24
@Alanna Said

There is a line between free speech and disorderly conduct. Free speech has been held by the courts to mean the right to respectfully disagree with any political, religious or social philosophy.

Disorderly conduct is held as interfering with a speaker's freedom of speech during a lawful assembly where people have gathered to hear the speaker speak. This includes such assemblies as church, town hall meetings, movie theatres, and presidential addresses to joint sessions of Congress.

While Republicans may think that disorderly conduct is ok. let me assure you that we will become a nation of chaos if everyone starts jumping up in church, movie theatres, and meetings and starts disagreeing with everything that is being said and interfering with the speaker's freedom of speech. There are ample venues for Americans to disagree without disorderly conduct.

Usually the Republicans are very quick to discipline their own so I don't think that any of them thought it was O.K. that Wilson shouted out that the president was a liar in the chamber.

The congress is allowed to yell out during the joint sessions but there is a list of what they are not allowed to yell out. Liar is on that list as well as traitor and a few other things. It would have been perfectly acceptable had Wilson yelled out that Obama was a nitwit for instance or a disgrace to the country.

I thought that was an interesting fact and I obtained it from a liberal radio commentator.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#8New Post! Sep 17, 2009 @ 17:08:18
I think that we have free speech until someone silences us in one way or another. We may have to deal with the consequences of speaking freely.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs