Deleted

Here and there,
#91New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 20:45:14
That is an excellent summary.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#92New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 20:50:19
@Tako_400 Said

The term Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics was often used interchangeably with and as a synonym for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle by detractors who believed in fate and determinism and saw the common features of the Bohr-Heisenberg theories as a threat. Within the widely but not universally accepted Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics (i.e. it was not accepted by Einstein or other physicists such as Alfred Lande), the uncertainty principle is taken to mean that on an elementary level, the physical universe does not exist in a deterministic form, but rather as a collection of probabilities, or possible outcomes. For example, the pattern (probability distribution) produced by millions of photons passing through a diffraction slit can be calculated using quantum mechanics, but the exact path of each photon cannot be predicted by any known method. The Copenhagen interpretation holds that it cannot be predicted by any method, not even with theoretically infinitely precise measurements.

If one goes even further to the direct interpretation that classical physics and ordinary language are only approximations to a completely quantum reality, then the probabilities are assigned to these approximations and are no longer fundamental. The equations of quantum mechanics themselves specify the progression of the quantum state of any isolated system uniquely."

This is quite new to me... I don't know what to think of it this very moment.

Yeah we looked at quantum mechanics in my Philosophy class as well, as a counter argument for Hume's Causation theory (I think, bearing in mind I failed that module ). It makes sense but I think when thinking about Philosophy if you go too far into science then you just get to dead ends and eventually infinite regress as we still don't know that much about the world and the universe really, science or no science.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#93New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 20:52:43
Philosophy chases science
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#94New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 20:53:57
@sister_of_mercy Said

Yeah we looked at quantum mechanics in my Philosophy class as well, as a counter argument for Hume's Causation theory (I think, bearing in mind I failed that module ). It makes sense but I think when thinking about Philosophy if you go too far into science then you just get to dead ends and eventually infinite regress as we still don't know that much about the world and the universe really, science or no science.

But then again you can always say that the world around us is possibly in-existent. We're all possibly living in a virtual made up world by some guys in lab coats that test us. Philosophy has no limits. If philosophy goes down, everything else goes down with it.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#95New Post! Sep 18, 2009 @ 21:57:55
@Tako_400 Said

But then again you can always say that the world around us is possibly in-existent. We're all possibly living in a virtual made up world by some guys in lab coats that test us. Philosophy has no limits. If philosophy goes down, everything else goes down with it.

Yeah, aah alluding to the Cogito then. Yeah I agree, the lack of boundaries is what I love most about Philosophy.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013