Writing

What is plagiarism?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:22:31
You may have heard so many different definitions of plagiarism that you feel confused about exactly what it is.

Why are my instructors so concerned about plagiarism?

In order to understand plagiarism, it helps to understand the process of sharing and creating ideas in the university

What about "common knowledge"?
In every professional field, experts consider some ideas "common knowledge," but remember that you're not a professional

What about paraphrasing?
Paraphrasing means taking another person's ideas and putting those ideas in your own words.

https://www.unc.edu/depts/wcweb/handouts/plagiarism.html

I am usally very careful to link to others words that I post. the reason being , it's against TFS TOS to use others words / writings with out acknowledging they are someone else.
I was pretty bored a while ago and just for the heck of it I googled
plagiarism.
-------------------------

Many people think of plagiarism as copying another's work, or borrowing someone else's original ideas. But terms like "copying" and "borrowing" can disguise the seriousness of the offense:

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

?to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as one's own
?to use (another's production) without crediting the source
?to commit literary theft
?to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source.
In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.

But can words and ideas really be stolen?

According to U.S. law, the answer is yes

https://www.plagiarism.org/

--------------------------------------

Welcome to Glatt Plagiarism Services, Inc.

A Tutorial Program to provide computer assisted instruction on what constitutes plagiarism and how to avoid it.

https://www.plagiarism.com/

---------------------------

Consequences of plagiarism

https://mail.baylorschool.org/~jstover/plagiarism/consequences.htm

-------------------------------

I'm positive sure there are some people here on TFS that are just so smart that they will think this thread is childish and a waste of space. And thats just real good and fine. As it turns out there is alot more to this topic than what I thought . I'm one of them folks that thought it was simply copying an other's work with out giving credit where credits due.
Arakasi On October 08, 2009

Deleted

Hull, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 11:27:28
What I think, is that you may have heard so many different definitions of plagiarism that you feel confused about exactly what it is.

In order to understand plagiarism, it helps to understand the process of sharing and creating ideas in the university

In every professional field, experts consider some ideas "common knowledge," but remember that you're not a professional

What about paraphrasing?
Paraphrasing means taking another person's ideas and putting those ideas in your own words.

link [www.unc.edu]

I am usally very careful to link to others words that I post. the reason being , it's against TFS TOS to use others words / writings with out acknowledging they are someone else.
plagiarism.

Many people think of plagiarism as copying another's work, or borrowing someone else's original ideas. But terms like "copying" and "borrowing" can disguise the seriousness of the offense:

?to present as new and original an idea or product derived from an existing source.
In other words, plagiarism is an act of fraud. It involves both stealing someone else's work and lying about it afterward.

link [www.plagiarism.org]

A Tutorial Program to provide computer assisted instruction on what constitutes plagiarism and how to avoid it.

link [www.plagiarism.com]

link [mail.baylorschool.org]

I'm positive sure there are some people here on TFS that are just so smart that they will think this thread is childish and a waste of space. And thats just real good and fine. As it turns out there is alot more to this topic than what I thought . I'm one of them folks that thought it was simply copying an other's work with out giving credit where credits due.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#3New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 13:27:56
@Arakasi Said

What I think, is that you may have heard so many different definitions of plagiarism that you feel confused about exactly what it is.

What about paraphrasing?

link [www.unc.edu]

plagiarism.

link [www.plagiarism.org]

link [www.plagiarism.com]

link [mail.baylorschool.org]

So it seems you did plagiarism and someone gave you a kudo for it ,, cuz you didn't quote my post you must have copied and pasted it ??

Deleted

Hull, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 14:15:05
@iwannano Said

So it seems you did plagiarism and someone gave you a kudo for it ,, cuz you didn't quote my post you must have copied and pasted it ??

The Kudos was for 'Funny', because I plagiarised your statement about plagiarism.

Or am I missing your point?
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#5New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 14:29:30
@Arakasi Said

The Kudos was for 'Funny', because I plagiarised your statement about plagiarism.

Or am I missing your point?

no, you got it. As a matter of fact , you got it a whole lot quicker then I did , It took several trips back to read your post over and over again and then I was judt hoping I had guessed right when I posted to you .

Deleted

Hull, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 14:36:51
@iwannano Said

no, you got it. As a matter of fact , you got it a whole lot quicker then I did , It took several trips back to read your post over and over again and then I was judt hoping I had guessed right when I posted to you .

Lol, it was too good an opportunity to resist!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 15:08:50
@Arakasi Said

Lol, it was too good an opportunity to resist!

It was one of them deals where you can't see the forest for the trees,
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#8New Post! Sep 11, 2009 @ 16:44:59
@iwannano Said

It was one of them deals where you can't see the forest for the trees,

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others