Forums: Travel:
The Great Outdoors

the ziplock method

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
xtreme On April 05, 2012

dirty south,
#1New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 11:25:05
We went with some out of town friends Sunday for breakfast, and we sat in the enclosed patio section beside the house. We happened to notice a couple of zip lock baggies pinned to a post and a wall. The bags were half filled with water, each contained 4 pennies, and they were zipped shut. Naturally we were curious!

She told us that these baggies kept the flies away! So naturally we were even more curious! We actually watched some flies come in the open window, stand around on the window sill, and then fly out again. And there were no flies in the eating area! This morning I checked this out on Google.. Below are comments on this fly control idea. I'm now a believer!

Zip-lock water bags

Sue says:

Many people swear that a zip-lock bag filled half-way with water and attached over entry-ways will repel flies. No one yet knows how or why it works, but there is speculation that it has something to do with the way the moving water refracts light.

If you have tried this please use the comments form at the bottom of the page to share your results with the rest of us.

Ann Say

I did tried the ziplock bag and pennies this weekend. I have a horse trailer with full LQ. The flys were very bad this weekend while I was camping. I put the baggie with pennies above the door of the LQ. NOT ONE FLY came in the trailer. The horse trailer part had many. Not sure why it works but it does!!!!!!!

Danielle Martin Says:

Fill a ziplock bag with water and 5 or 6 pennies and hang it in the problem area. In my case it was a particular window in my home. It had a slight but significant passage way for insects. Every since I have done that, it has kept flies and wasps away. Some say, that wasps and flies mistake the bag for some sort of other insect nest and are threatened by this.

Maggie Says:

June 7th, 2009 at 11:40 am

I swear by the plastic bag of water trick I have them on side porch (our house entry) and all around the basement door. We saw these in Northeast MO at an Amish grocery store & have used them since. They say it works because a fly sees a reflection & won't come around.

Just DJ Says:

May 16th, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Regarding the science behind zip log bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner. When you figure that flies are basically prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain but I tried it, worked immediately! We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but he didn't hang around long.
incognito On February 26, 2010
Giddy In The Pants

Deleted

, Canada
#2New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 11:46:08
Never heard of that in my life.
I guess if you live some place with a lot of them, then it's worth a try.
Neat.
funkymunky On September 25, 2009

, Australia
#3New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:05:55
I am so gonna try that!!! That is really weird but whatever works right?
Lockdog On October 16, 2018

Indianapolis, Indiana
#4New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:22:21
I am so going to try it. Thanks
xTeddyx On April 30, 2012
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#5New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:29:44
That is so awesome! Lockdog you must tell me if it works for you!!
jonblaze On May 11, 2011

Tulsa, United States (general)
#6New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:32:11
i have been using this method for years to repel flies, I had heard that to a fly the penny in a water bag looks like a wasp's nest which is why they stay away. not sure if thats actually true but it does work.

Whenever we go camping its part of setting up and we don't normally have fly problems.
xTeddyx On April 30, 2012
Teddy Hugs

On my mind, Georgia
#7New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 12:33:02
@jonblaze Said

i have been using this method for years to repel flies, I had heard that to a fly the penny in a water bag looks like a wasp's nest which is why they stay away. not sure if thats actually true but it does work.

Whenever we go camping its part of setting up and we don't normally have fly problems.

That is so cool to know!! Great info
49thbrat On November 17, 2009

Deleted

Truro, Canada
#8New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 21:53:39
I gotta know if this works!I hate flies!OK outside,but not inside!I would not be surprised-cause sometimes,science beats all!
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#9New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 21:56:08
This coffeeshop I go to tried this.

It didn't work.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#10New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 21:57:20
ohhh they did this down in NC when I was down there. There didn't seem to be an issue with flies this year!!
lisajones On December 31, 2009

Woodbridge, Virginia
#11New Post! Sep 09, 2009 @ 21:59:38
Interesting idea and inexpensive.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs