Family

Steps -Parents and Step Children

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
lessy On February 08, 2010

, Egypt
#1New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 01:16:43
Hello forumers::::

1. undoubtedly, many among us may have had to experience a step-parent coming into our lives. How did you handle it? How did you feel? was he/she good to you?

2. some of us may become step parents, as we rediscover love after a failed marriage or relationship.Are you ready to love and accept responsibilities that come with step-children?...

3. just share what you think about step-parents and step children? 8)
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#2New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 01:19:32
Uhm, we're currently living with a guy, who I guess is more like a roommate to my mom than a stepparent but I will say this: After living with *just* my mom most of my life, having this guy around has really screwed things up for me. Like a total violation. I know it's wrong and immature but I hate him just being here, it doesn't feel right.

Plus the dude is a total Neanderthal as I just told Stiggy.
funkymunky On September 25, 2009

, Australia
#3New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 01:24:57
well i am a single parent my daughters father left me during pregnancy and i havent seen him since. So basically my daughter is going to have a step parent if i want a relationship. As it happens i met someone 6 months ago and he also has a daughter and things couldnt be better. We all are one big happy family on the weekends and during the week his daughter is not there. But we get on really well he is great to my daughter and i hope he thinks the same bout me.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#4New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 01:26:41
sorry, no help there. It has it's own problems, I know, but it can work as long as the spouses are on the same sheet of music. Based on what I know from others, what causes most problems is the new step-parent tries to step in and do some disciplining, which of course the kids don't like and often the birth parent is not happy with the other one disciplining his/her children.
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#5New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 02:02:25
my step-mom had wrote my mom a nasty e-mail this summer when I was staying with my dad and her
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#6New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 02:16:59
1. undoubtedly, many among us may have had to experience a step-parent coming into our lives. How did you handle it? How did you feel? was he/she good to you?

-I handled it as mature as a child can. It's hard to see a parent get "replaced". I hated it, I couldn't stand him, I secretly relished the day he left, but he never did.

He treated me like s***.

2. some of us may become step parents, as we rediscover love after a failed marriage or relationship.Are you ready to love and accept responsibilities that come with step-children?...

I think I would be, and considering I know how i felt about all of it, I think i would handle it ok.
LaLaMissMandy On September 27, 2009

Deleted

EUGENE, Oregon
#7New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 02:24:00
My mom met her current husband when I was 5 years old, so I grew up with a step dad and step siblings (my mom has 3 kids and he has 3 kids). While I think its possible to make a "step family" work, it absolutely didn't work in my home. Its to the point now where I wont even go to my mom's house for Christmas if he will be there. He is just a really bad man.. you probably don't need details lol. I remember feeling like my mom loved him more than she loved me, like he always came before me and that nothing I did or said mattered to her. I was young, some of those feelings were probably exaggerated but many of them were real at the time.

They faught all the time, and it usually was about us kids. They were both really bad at disciplining the other parents kids. When my step dad was too harsh on us, my mom would get mad and give attitude to his kids (she was wrong lol but it made me feel better in some morally wrong way lol).
tantan On May 21, 2011

Jacksonville, Florida
#8New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 03:45:36
I was..7-8 years old when my step-dad came into my life. My parents had just gotten divorced, and I was in major need of a father-figure. My bio dad didn't stick around to watch me grow-up and go through childhood and adolesence. (He moved on to some other chick, with a daughter 2 years younger than me, which royally f***ed up any type of relationship I could ever have with him). I handeled it well, the adjustment, like anything new is, was hard, but my family over came it easily.

My step-dad has been there for me for almost 9 years now. He's treated/loved me and my 2 other brothers like his own kids.(Even after he had his 2 own with my mom) If he can take on 3 kids at one time, I surly can! (Or atleast become a step-parent)
Stigma On February 13, 2010
zombie vomit

Deleted

, New Hampshire
#9New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 03:57:53
@tantan Said

I was..7-8 years old when my step-dad came into my life. My parents had just gotten divorced, and I was in major need of a father-figure. My bio dad didn't stick around to watch me grow-up and go through childhood and adolesence. (He moved on to some other chick, with a daughter 2 years younger than me, which royally f***ed up any type of relationship I could ever have with him). I handeled it well, the adjustment, like anything new is, was hard, but my family over came it easily.

My step-dad has been there for me for almost 9 years now. He's treated/loved me and my 2 other brothers like his own kids.(Even after he had his 2 own with my mom) If he can take on 3 kids at one time, I surly can! (Or atleast become a step-parent)

Nice to hear something positive about this. Seems so rare that it works out the right way, you know?

tantan On May 21, 2011

Jacksonville, Florida
#10New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 04:00:24
@Stigma Said

Nice to hear something positive about this. Seems so rare that it works out the right way, you know?

Thanks, and its very true. I hear horror stories from my friends with step-parents, and how their parents will just replace them with the new spouse. I was lucky enough to be spared.

Here's to s***ty parents of every variety!
unicorn On March 18, 2010

Deleted

The Oaks, Australia
#11New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 06:29:27
In our house the kids have a step father who respects them and their natural father so it works out great, however in my ex's home they are forced to do as they are told by their stepmother who has no respect for me their mum and totally tries to replace me as their mum and tries to erase the past.

As a result the kids feel at home with us and at ease and they feel restricted and disrespected at their dad's house-don't get me wrong they have a good relationship with their natural father but it does irk them that he lets her discipline them and basically bows to her commands.
lessy On February 08, 2010

, Egypt
#12New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 21:24:51
@sweetheart5545 Said

my step-mom had wrote my mom a nasty e-mail this summer when I was staying with my dad and her

oh-that's sad
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#13New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 21:30:50
@lessy Said

oh-that's sad

yes
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#14New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 22:07:40
@lessy Said

Hello forumers::::

3. just share what you think about step-parents and step children? 8)

Both my parents remarried when I was about 16 and my step dad is a great guy. He is like a 2nd dad to me. My stepmother is a different story. Cold, rude, spoiled, jealous. I am respectful to her but I have never liked her and I suspect the feeling is mutual. I'm pleasant for my fathers sake.

I've dated guys with kids and I have always gone out of my way to be respectful of their children and be kind to them. Probably because I know what it's like to have a strange array of people parading through your parents lives.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#15New Post! Sep 08, 2009 @ 22:10:27
I was 11 when my stepdad moved in. I hate him. He is rude, lazy, arrogant and just a horrid person. I've been subjected to years of abuse from him. He is a nasty, lying scumbag and I wish my mum would come to her senses. He's not even my mum's husband, they've just been engaged for years, but it's easier to call him that.

My dad has never remarried. I got on very well with his ex girlfriend though.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs