The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Science

Something to keep you from being bored this fine Sunday!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#1New Post! Jul 26, 2009 @ 23:43:15
Know you've been bustin' to know this -- How Come an Igloo Doesn't Melt Inside? Eskimos still construct the igloo for special occasions or while on a journey, even though stone and wooden houses have become more popular among them. An igloo is quickly built and it defies any kind of weather. First a trench is cut about 5 feet long and 20 inches deep into a newly made snowdrift. Then, from the face of the trench, blocks are cut with a knife. These are shaped so that they lean inward when set on edge. A circle of those snowblocks is laid and then shaved down so that as the Eskimo builds there will be narrowing spiral. The material is cut from the inside of the house as the man works. Then a keystone --with edges wider above then below-- is dropped into the space at the top. Then all the cracks are filled in with soft snow. A small igloo can be built in this way in a couple of hours. When the house has been built, the woman takes over. She lights her blubber lamp and makes it burn as hot as possible. Then she closes the door with a block of ice and makes everything airtight. Now the snow begins to melt. But because the dome's roof is curved, it doesn't drip. Instead, it soaks gradually into the blocks so that they are nearly wet all the way through. When the blocks are sufficiently wet, she puts
out her lamp and opens the door. The intensely cold air rushes in, and in a few minutes -- the house is transformed from a fragile building of snow to a dome of ice! It is now so strong that a polar bear can crawl over the roof without breaking it in.
And, because it is so solid and hard, it doesn't melt and therefore provide a nice, snug shelter. In all honesty, igloos generally don't last for years. Once the winter ends --and the temperature rises-- the igloo does begin to melt, and it is usually the roof which first caves in.
***It's so damn hot here now, the thought of being in an igloo right now, or somewhere where it is cold enough for there to be one -
is enticing.
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#2New Post! Jul 26, 2009 @ 23:57:26
Huh..... I find that really interesting. I never knew all of that. Thanks for teaching me something new!
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#3New Post! Jul 27, 2009 @ 00:04:33
@squirt_aka_casey Said

Huh..... I find that really interesting. I never knew all of that. Thanks for teaching me something new!

No prob!
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#4New Post! Jul 27, 2009 @ 00:04:42
Yeah that was actually very interesting I had no idea they could be that hard, or that solid
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#5New Post! Jul 27, 2009 @ 00:40:12
Thanks for the edjimacation! That was very interesting! I did actually wonder many times about that too..

Here's another that I never could find an answer for, but have wondered:

How does an astronaut, in outerspace, take a dump? And how do they get rid of it?
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#6New Post! Jul 27, 2009 @ 05:47:25
@loveis Said

Thanks for the edjimacation! That was very interesting! I did actually wonder many times about that too..

Here's another that I never could find an answer for, but have wondered:

How does an astronaut, in outerspace, take a dump? And how do they get rid of it?

Hmmmm, I don't have the answer to that one. But I hope you'll enjoy one of my threads in the near future -- you'll love learning why a fly rubs his legs together.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs