Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

behind closed doors...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
steraw04 On December 12, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#1New Post! Nov 21, 2005 @ 23:11:46
i just got awakened to the fact that so much HORRID stuff goes on behind closed doors...or out of the sight of societies eyes!

there are a lot of things in life that are supposed be "one" off things...yet that doesnt seem to be true at all!!

you will be surprised how many people are physically, emotionally and sexually abused...or how strife domestic violence is.
you can look at every corner of life and see something horrid going on...something society could put an end too.

yes...this is a part of life...but shouldnt we be doing something bout it?? or at least acknowleding it...
glitter_sniffer On August 25, 2015
Om nom nom

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 21, 2005 @ 23:15:19
I was just woke up a few weeks ago after my friends cousin was murdered. It was a shocker for a lot of us...Before I knew it was happeneing, but it doesn't really click as being in your world (if you understand that). In reality just now I think the only way for people to "wake up and smell the coffee" is by something happening, and that isn't exactly a peachy thing to happen...
Planet Earth kinda sucks!
ketrino_wolfgirl On October 30, 2013

Ft Worth, Texas
#3New Post! Nov 21, 2005 @ 23:17:01
i don't think it is any big deal or our business. people need privacy.
glitter_sniffer On August 25, 2015
Om nom nom

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 21, 2005 @ 23:20:17
But if you think about it...If for any reason one of these things happened to yourself, while you wouldn't want people knowing about it all etc. would you not feel you should pre-warn people of these dangers and educate them of it?
I know if something happened to me I would take it as part of my future to stop it happening again.
steraw04 On December 12, 2007

Toronto, Canada
#5New Post! Nov 22, 2005 @ 19:12:54
hmmm...i dont agree with the fact that ppl need privacy!!!
oh yeah...like the woman who is getting beat up by her bf really wants privacy so she can get beat up even more!
or the kid who is getting sexually abused wants to be left alone with the very person who is abusing them!

i know we arent trained counsellors or anything but we do know when things arent right. whats the worse thing that can happen if you ask a friend..."is everything alright?"

but glitter sniffer...i do agree with your comments!

okay...i could post everything that has happened in my life...but that would only make ppl very down and not solve any problems.
i was just shocked...and still am tbh...just how lil...we "smell the coffee".
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 23, 2005 @ 18:01:39
Yes Steraw its quite shocking, without sounding patronising, the older you get the more atrocities you hear about. When i started in health care i used to go home feeling sick most of the time. I did harden up but ever now and again something will unexpectedly hit me and i will have to run outside and start blubbing!

I think also most people have thier share of abuse in a lifetime whether it be sexual, verbal, bullying. Recognising that this is happening is the first step to stopping it.

Im glad you took the time to write it! It somehow does help!
maroonscorp On February 28, 2017

Amsterdam, Netherlands
#7New Post! Nov 23, 2005 @ 18:07:30
one should learn martial arts ,like karate,,judo, ,kick boxing so that one is prepared for the worst situation..
ketrino_wolfgirl On October 30, 2013

Ft Worth, Texas
#8New Post! Nov 23, 2005 @ 18:08:03
@steraw04 Said
hmmm...i dont agree with the fact that ppl need privacy!!!
oh yeah...like the woman who is getting beat up by her bf really wants privacy so she can get beat up even more!
or the kid who is getting sexually abused wants to be left alone with the very person who is abusing them!

i know we arent trained counsellors or anything but we do know when things arent right. whats the worse thing that can happen if you ask a friend..."is everything alright?"

but glitter sniffer...i do agree with your comments!

okay...i could post everything that has happened in my life...but that would only make ppl very down and not solve any problems.
i was just shocked...and still am tbh...just how lil...we "smell the coffee".

i didn't mean it like that!! i mean the more subtle stuff.
arianwen On March 03, 2007

, Australia
#9New Post! Nov 24, 2005 @ 03:22:13
I agree that something should be done, I think it is a VERY big deal, but I also think that simply acknowledging it is useless, and almost as bad as accepting it. In this case, I think that privacy should not come into it, if someone is being abused.
I admit, I don't know what we could do to stop this , but something should be done, and if anyone has any ideas, I am right behind you.
sleepless3nights On January 02, 2008

Tempe, Arizona
#10New Post! Nov 24, 2005 @ 03:26:45
It's hard to fix everything, even though we want to. Everything isn't black and white.

Take child sexual abuse as an example. A lot of those kids being hurt don't know how to deal with what's being done to them. They feel a lot of guilt, and it messes up their brain. Then they grow up with hurt brains and sometimes end up hurting others. It's not their fault, but what they're doing is still wrong.

And you can't stick someone in an electric chair, or even brand them as a criminal just because complicated things happened to them when they were little.
justvr On February 20, 2006

, Wallis and Futuna
#11New Post! Nov 24, 2005 @ 03:34:38
I worked in the child abuse industry years ago and most of my work was with
abused children, and children in custody. What finds its way into the Courts
is just the tip of the iceberg. In my opinion the most common unreported
crime is incest. The brutality and the determined and consistent effort made
by some people to abuse their children is staggering. Yet very often abused
children want to go home. Some don't know any better, others fear the
welfare system (probably with good reason). After dealing with several
thousand of these kids I'd had enough and got out. While I was there my
philosophy was simple. I never lied to a kid or exaggerated how much
trouble they were or were not in, and even though I couldnt fix everything I
felt that by making a difference on one or two occasions and helping children
through a particualr crisis, I was doing all that I could and that would have to
be enough. I should say, too, that the hours were staggering while I did this
work. For a lot of days my work started at 7.45am and my after work reading
didn't finish till 11pm. This is draining, demanding and emotionally
exhausting work. I have to say too, sadly, you do get over the need to do it,
burn out, and leave.....
sleepless3nights On January 02, 2008

Tempe, Arizona
#12New Post! Nov 24, 2005 @ 03:39:15
@justvr Said
I have to say too, sadly, you do get over the need to do it, burn out, and leave.....

I would imagine it's extremely draining work. Good for you, doing that for a while.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs