Al Gore and the environmental crisis.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
amelie3 On March 07, 2010

Sydney, Australia
#46New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 04:35:48
@coolhand Said

I am pretty sure that there is just as many "scholarly" works rejecting global warming as there are espousing it. People's perspectives warp scientific research into this supposed issue because it is such a hotly contested subject. The only way to know for sure is to become a climatologist and study it yourself. Even then, though, can you really believe the evidence you discover? Probably not. I don't claim to know the answers, but both sides of the political spectrum have used this to gain not only votes, but in some cases to pass somewhat questionable legislation. So either way, someone is getting something out of this, so no side can really be trusted.

I agree with a lot of this, and it's one of most considered posts on this topic I've read.

A point I wanted to make: in Australia it was important to us that our winning political party had a strong position on climate change. So even if it wasn't important to our government theoretically, they had to be seen taking it seriously or they would not have recently won.

I acknowledge that corporate CEO's or governments may 'get something' out of supporting climate change - but so do people that vote, and corporate share-holders. Discussions around climate change have encouraged us to re-use, to not waste, no pollute - all good things as kat pointed out, no matter what your position on the 'future' of climate change may hold. Just my opinion.

Again, thanks for a thoughtful post. Kudos.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#47New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 05:32:48
@curiouskat Said

With all due respect (less than 12 hours ago i was with you on this!) but how do we know that the melting of the polar ice caps ISNT a cyclical thing? Something that occurs naturally every few thousand years?
There was an ice age before us, right?
Maybe (and just maybe, ill still be recycling, just in case!!!) it will happen regardless of what we do...

That's the problem with this debate. Both sides have very good, solid evidence. So figuring out which 1 is right is a little hard. I think I've heard that most scientists are actually somewhere in the middle. Industry DOES create excess green gases, and the Earth IS warming up naturally. The biggest thing they disagree on, is how much is natural and how much is man-made. I've also heard the consequences have been completely blown out of proportions, mostly thanks to Hollywood. That doesn't mean it won't be a big deal, but it won't be an end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it catastrophe either.
coolhand On March 11, 2013

Fayetteville, Arkansas
#48New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 05:43:33
The-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it catastrophe is when we run out of oil without a viable alternative for energy production. This will make the issues in the Middle East seem like child's play. Think Mad Max and the like, it is likely an accurate portrayal of the pending situation(or maybe not). Seriously though, it will be catastrophic. We need to end our dependence on oil, mainly because it takes millions of years to create and we are running out. Any environmental gains from this would be good of course, but not as clear as the economic/social impact of such a discovery.
curiouskat On February 16, 2010

Deleted

Adelaide, Australia
#49New Post! Jul 19, 2009 @ 06:17:34
@coolhand Said

The-end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it catastrophe is when we run out of oil without a viable alternative for energy production. This will make the issues in the Middle East seem like child's play. Think Mad Max and the like, it is likely an accurate portrayal of the pending situation(or maybe not). Seriously though, it will be catastrophic. We need to end our dependence on oil, mainly because it takes millions of years to create and we are running out. Any environmental gains from this would be good of course, but not as clear as the economic/social impact of such a discovery.

I totally agree with this assessment.
It always perplexes me when i hear of another wind farm (one of Australia's largest resources given the amount of useless desert we have) thats been stalled by gov policies, or funding withdrawl.
Not to mention solar, deep core and i recently heard about one that uses the oceans current to create energy (sorry, no idea of the tech term!)
Why arent these all up and running better?
Ive heard the 'too expensive' debate, RUBBISH.
Maybe a long term investement, but surely eventually it would save a fortune in oil purchases.(not to mention said catastrophe)

I guess though it all comes down to control.
Reminds me of the electric car story....
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs