Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Charlemagne On December 10, 2012

Houston,
#46New Post! Sep 20, 2009 @ 13:12:41
@Pcptrvanion Said

Classless buffoons.

Agreed. It would be hard for me to restrain myself if I were to actually witness such mindless stupidity.
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Sep 20, 2009 @ 13:14:29
Protesting at or near a funeral is clearly distasteful to many, but, as has been pointed out, it seems to be excused because of the protesters 'rights'.

Perhaps the authorities should pay a bit more attention to those laws that prohibit activities likely to cause breaches of the peace, we have them here I presume you have something similar in USA.

Sometimes we seem to be far too concerned about the 'rights' of specific individuals or minority groups.

The actions of numptys like these should not be tolerated or excused.
fatman On May 30, 2010

asheville, North Carolina
#48New Post! Sep 20, 2009 @ 13:22:12
WOW!! I just learned something from this thread. It is an answer to a question that has plagued me for nearly fifteen years! I'd like to share it with you. Hang in there, it is relevant, but a little complicated:

There is a black guy from Asheville who used to be very active in the NAACP. There was a huge feud over whether the Confederate battle flag should be outlawed. For related reasons nobody quite understood, he quit the NAACP, donned a Confederate uniform (complete with forage cap) and started marching around all over the place with the stars and bars over his shoulder. He kept it up off and on for years! I would see him every once in a while, eyes straight ahead, battle face that said he truly believed Gettysburg was just over the next hill.

Why would he do that? Why would he alienate everyone he loved to don the uniform of the very army who struggled to hold his ancestors in slavery? What unspoken point is he trying to make that is important enough to do something like that? He never explained. He REFUSED to explain! Everybody (including me) wrote him off as crazy!

Perhaps it is because he realized, that right or wrong, for him the battle was over. Perhaps he realized that in struggle there is honor, regardless the cause, and that honor deserves to recognized and respected in its own place and time. He had the courage to call a truce in his own struggle, and honor the struggle of his adversary. He did this with quiet courage, rather than in a throng railing against injustice in impotent rage. If I ever see him again, I will shake his hand and thank him. It is a relief to no longer be afraid of him.

Houston,
#49New Post! Sep 20, 2009 @ 13:43:54
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#50New Post! Sep 20, 2009 @ 13:44:21
@fatman Said

WOW!! I just learned something from this thread. It is an answer to a question that has plagued me for nearly fifteen years! I'd like to share it with you. Hang in there, it is relevant, but a little complicated:

There is a black guy from Asheville who used to be very active in the NAACP. There was a huge feud over whether the Confederate battle flag should be outlawed. For related reasons nobody quite understood, he quit the NAACP, donned a Confederate uniform (complete with forage cap) and started marching around all over the place with the stars and bars over his shoulder. He kept it up off and on for years! I would see him every once in a while, eyes straight ahead, battle face that said he truly believed Gettysburg was just over the next hill.

Why would he do that? Why would he alienate everyone he loved to don the uniform of the very army who struggled to hold his ancestors in slavery? What unspoken point is he trying to make that is important enough to do something like that? He never explained. He REFUSED to explain! Everybody (including me) wrote him off as crazy!

Perhaps it is because he realized, that right or wrong, for him the battle was over. Perhaps he realized that in struggle there is honor, regardless the cause, and that honor deserves to recognized and respected in its own place and time. He had the courage to call a truce in his own struggle, and honor the struggle of his adversary. He did this with quiet courage, rather than in a throng railing against injustice in impotent rage. If I ever see him again, I will shake his hand and thank him. It is a relief to no longer be afraid of him.

Conflict isn't honourable; it has no merits.

Houston,
#51New Post! Sep 20, 2009 @ 13:52:40
@buffalobill90 Said

Conflict isn't honourable; it has no merits.

Hmm, I wonder if the slaves who were freed by conflict would agree?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Sep 20, 2009 @ 13:55:37
@Charlemagne Said

Hmm, I wonder if the slaves who were freed by conflict would agree?

Probably not.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#53New Post! Sep 22, 2009 @ 07:11:05
@zerach Said

I will be heading back home tomorrow from Iraq and one subject that was brought up was be careful who you tell your in the military. I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone tell me what I do is wrong.If It wasn't for pple like me all freedom is sacrificed.If I even catch any protesters at military funerals I'll lose it.It should be a crime

Isn't America supposed to be the Land of the Free...? If you're not fighting for freedom for everybody to express themselves openly, then what are you fighting for..?

Having said that, personally, I think that to demonstrate at a funeral is an appalling thing to do. I wouldn't do it myself although I make no apologies for opposing the war, but the loss of life is too serious and sad a thing for people to use it to make cheap points.

The families of bereaved servicemen should be allowed to mourn in peace and dignity. They should be allowed to say goodbye to their loved one without being heckled.

The war is wrong........ nobody will convince me of anything else.... and the demonstrators do have the freedom and right to be heard. But not like this. There are plenty of other ways for them to make their point and they should show restraint at funerals out of respect for the bereaved families.

Making demonstration illegal would also be wrong. I do not believe that oppression is what the USA should stand for. Give people the right to demonstrate, but the expectation should be that they do it appropriately and responsibly.

Liberty to those who have the courage to speak out appropriately, but shame on those who demonstrate at funerals.

fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#54New Post! Sep 22, 2009 @ 08:20:47
@GeneticAnomaly Said

Protesting at or near a funeral is clearly distasteful to many, but, as has been pointed out, it seems to be excused because of the protesters 'rights'.

Perhaps the authorities should pay a bit more attention to those laws that prohibit activities likely to cause breaches of the peace, we have them here I presume you have something similar in USA.

Sometimes we seem to be far too concerned about the 'rights' of specific individuals or minority groups.

The actions of numptys like these should not be tolerated or excused.

Yeah if people using their right to free speech annoys anyone it should be stopped.
Alanna On February 13, 2010

Cincinnati,
#55New Post! Sep 22, 2009 @ 12:05:00
@zerach Said

I will be heading back home tomorrow from Iraq and one subject that was brought up was be careful who you tell your in the military. I'll be damned if I'm going to let someone tell me what I do is wrong.If It wasn't for pple like me all freedom is sacrificed.If I even catch any protesters at military funerals I'll lose it.It should be a crime

I agree that protesters should not be at a military funeral or any other type funeral. A funeral is a private time for the family, and consideration of the family should take center stage, not the protesters.

The people from the Baptist Church who go around protesting at military funerals with their hate posters are an example of the terrible take-over of the churches by anti-Christian pastors claiming to be Christians.
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#56New Post! Sep 22, 2009 @ 17:46:46
@fitzyp Said

Yeah if people using their right to free speech annoys anyone it should be stopped.

Protesting may be a right ... but with rights come responsibilities, something these idiots and those who seek to justify their actions seem to be lacking.
fitzyp On December 23, 2014

Auckland, New Zealand
#57New Post! Sep 23, 2009 @ 03:38:28
@GeneticAnomaly Said

Protesting may be a right ... but with rights come responsibilities, something these idiots and those who seek to justify their actions seem to be lacking.

The responsibly to not protest if it will offend anyone? Your statement really made no sense. It failed to show how these protesters weren't acting within their rights.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#58New Post! Sep 23, 2009 @ 22:44:23
While I agree those protesters are f***ing horrible people, I do not agree that they should be censored. In the United States you have Freedom of Speech, Expression, and Assembly.

I think they should be at least 300 yards away though. Out of site and our of ear range of the mourners.
aceuvclubs On August 22, 2020
You with the face!

Seattle, Washington
#59New Post! Sep 26, 2009 @ 06:17:29
Just because you have the right to protest at a funeral, doesn't mean you ever should
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs