The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Should western countries outsource prison facilities?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mr_ash On January 08, 2013

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 01:39:36
OK. Here me out please..

Many people believe that the prison system doesn't work.

It's well known that prisons are full.

Prisons should be a deterrent, but they aren't.

We spend about 35,000pound per inmate per year in the UK (2004 figures). I'd guess similar in the US.

Companies outsource service sector work to developing countries, in the hope of saving money.

Why the heck don't we outsource prisoners?

Lets say, we pay Bangkok 4,000pound (USD 7,000 approx) to house them. Wouldn't that solve: over populated prisons, save money, help another economy, and scare the living s*** out of prospective offenders?

Any thoughts?
chief_big On June 12, 2013

haggisville, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 01:55:54
yes but two trolls dont make a right

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 02:03:05
@chief_big Said

yes but two trolls dont make a right

Troll, moi?

I'm looking at money saving.

Would you not be slightly more discouraged about committing a crime, knowing that some s***hole was awaiting?
chief_big On June 12, 2013

haggisville, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 02:05:18
heres how it works , most crimes go unsolved the criminals get away

the end.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#5New Post! Jun 09, 2009 @ 02:07:17
Although that makes some sense...the logistics of it all is sketchy.

A) Do we really trust other countries with our prisoners?

I say this because things such as human rights come into effect. How can we ensure that our prisoners are being treated fairly and not getting mistreated?

B) Is this only for those prisoners that are in jail for long time. What is the time frame

Don't they get parole, and what if they want to exercise that right? They automatically come back to the states for it after they become use to the "other countries" food, televisions and maybe in lifestyle?

What about their families...they can have weakly visits and such...are you going to deny them that?

C) Can you really trust another country with our prisoners?

I say this again because well...take for example, someone who worked in the government (a high place) has valuable information, we don't other countries to know about. How can we ensure that it is kept safe.

Do we keep them here. And if so...how is that fair?

Do we put our own employees there? Can we ask our people to leave their families to go serve a prisons elsewhere?

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 10, 2009 @ 00:15:42
@boobagins Said

Although that makes some sense...the logistics of it all is sketchy.

A) Do we really trust other countries with our prisoners?

I say this because things such as human rights come into effect. How can we ensure that our prisoners are being treated fairly and not getting mistreated?

There would be plenty of money in the kitty, for some staff to be posted there.

@boobagins Said

B) Is this only for those prisoners that are in jail for long time. What is the time frame

Don't they get parole, and what if they want to exercise that right? They automatically come back to the states for it after they become use to the "other countries" food, televisions and maybe in lifestyle?

What about their families...they can have weakly visits and such...are you going to deny them that?

It could be any time frame. Flights don't cost much. It could be used in areas where prison population is too high.

@boobagins Said

C) Can you really trust another country with our prisoners?

I say this again because well...take for example, someone who worked in the government (a high place) has valuable information, we don't other countries to know about. How can we ensure that it is kept safe.

Do we keep them here. And if so...how is that fair?

Do we put our own employees there? Can we ask our people to leave their families to go serve a prisons elsewhere?

Categories already exist for different inmates. There are plenty of prisoners that wont have important information about there brain.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#7New Post! Jun 10, 2009 @ 00:30:14
it would be a logistical nightmare to export prisoners to other country's.

it would be more simple to build more prisons, and on a plus side it would help the economy.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Jun 10, 2009 @ 13:33:09
Ahh fewi!

I just say we take over another country or find a new country or build a new island and post them there! HA!
debbier1999 On October 04, 2009

Perryville, Missouri
#9New Post! Jun 10, 2009 @ 14:52:04
I worked in the prison system in the US for 7 years. It definitely doesn't work.

I think privately owned and run prisons might be the answer. Let a business figure a way to put the inmates to work on something productive. Not only will it teach them a trade but they will be working instead of laying around all day getting free room and board.

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 11, 2009 @ 00:30:37
@boobagins Said

Ahh fewi!

I just say we take over another country or find a new country or build a new island and post them there! HA!

Give them a survival knife and a fishing rod eh? (And a survival manual.)

Can't say human rights not looked after then

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 11, 2009 @ 00:35:47
@debbier1999 Said

I worked in the prison system in the US for 7 years. It definitely doesn't work.

I think privately owned and run prisons might be the answer. Let a business figure a way to put the inmates to work on something productive. Not only will it teach them a trade but they will be working instead of laying around all day getting free room and board.

I saw a documentary on US prisons. Looked similar to ours. Very much a blas? attitude toward the whole thing. (though I'm aware that programmes can be quite one sided).

I was obviously being slightly 'tongue in cheek' with the thread idea, do you think that privately run prisons could work out cheaper than mainstream ones? (even with a view for work houses)..
debbier1999 On October 04, 2009

Perryville, Missouri
#12New Post! Jun 11, 2009 @ 14:57:52
@mr_ash Said

I saw a documentary on US prisons. Looked similar to ours. Very much a blas? attitude toward the whole thing. (though I'm aware that programmes can be quite one sided).

I was obviously being slightly 'tongue in cheek' with the thread idea, do you think that privately run prisons could work out cheaper than mainstream ones? (even with a view for work houses)..

Look at all the businesses that are relocating to countries where the labor is cheaper because wages have gotten too high for them to make a profit. If they used the inmates for labor and gave them a small salary (I'm talking max pay would be $50/mo) and the rest went to pay for their food and housing, then the prisons wouldn't be a drain on our tax money and the businesses would not have to relocate.

When I worked for the prison system, every inmate was given $5/mo to spend in the canteen, 3 hot meals a day and housing and he was free to watch TV, sleep or socialize all day. A few of them actually had jobs cleaning or doing clerical work and they could make up to $15/mo.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs