The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Health & Fitness

Do you feel less sympathy to those who have lung cancer resulting from smoking?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8
rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#106New Post! Jun 14, 2009 @ 22:55:03
Life kills people and sure, choices can lead to an earlier death. Does people with Aids deserve to die because of their sexual preferences? I don't think anyone "deserves" to die based on what they do.

Does government have the right to make people choose their choices? Looks like our Obama tends to think he will save the world by telling us what to eat, how much sodium, fat content, etc. Not to mention the stupid tax hike on cigarettes.

Why do people think they are better than others just because they have different vices?
debbier1999 On October 04, 2009

Perryville, Missouri
#107New Post! Jun 15, 2009 @ 21:10:06
I do feel more sympathy for non-smokers who get lung cancer than I do smokers. I've been smoking off and on for over 20 years knowing what the risks are. If I get it, it is my fault because I choose to continue knowing the possibilities.
Exylis On May 27, 2012

Deleted

Madison, Belgium
#108New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:48:36
@xnuvax Said

Do you feel less empathy or sympathy for those who suffer from lung cancer as a result of long term smoking?

A person in my sociology (tutorial) class mentioned, that those people deserve no sympathy because they caused harm to themselves voluntarily. His other example was people who suffer health problems from obesity. He says that people who smoke themselves to death or eat themselves to death deserve no respect or sympathy.

I disagree with it. I think it is just as devastating as other illness which aren't a direct result of lifestyle. Smoking and overeating (or eating fattening foods) both are unhealthy, but can be a coping mechanism to emotional problems. It does not mean that these people "deserve" to die. They chose an unhealthy lifestyle, and it was a mistake, and they deserve some sympathy, at least.

What do you think?

To say they don't deserve respect is just downright ignorant on that moron's part. This guy sounds pretty self-righteous. Those types make me sick.

As far as the sympathy part...I, myself, am an addicted smoker, so I feel okay to say that I won't ask for sympathy when my lungs are rotting some years down the road...nor will I drain the health care system's finances to treat something I walked head-on into. I'll simply accept responsibility for the choice.
Exylis On May 27, 2012

Deleted

Madison, Belgium
#109New Post! Jul 30, 2009 @ 15:50:43
@rocket48 Said

Life kills people and sure, choices can lead to an earlier death. Does people with Aids deserve to die because of their sexual preferences? I don't think anyone "deserves" to die based on what they do.

Does government have the right to make people choose their choices? Looks like our Obama tends to think he will save the world by telling us what to eat, how much sodium, fat content, etc. Not to mention the stupid tax hike on cigarettes.

Why do people think they are better than others just because they have different vices?

You got me on that last question, man. I don't understand those holier-than-thou types either. I just brush 'em off.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs