Random

the school system today

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
xtreme On April 05, 2012

dirty south,
#1New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 10:02:09
i dont know about your school system in other countries
but here in the us in ga. i think there needs to be some change's made like foe instance when i was young pe you excercised
pull ups situps pushups you would run pe meant excercise
now it means you go to pe and just play games while you sit on your chunky little a** oh no that needs to change and they to to add some subjects like how to balance a check book and learn how important good credit is the important stuff you really need to survive as you get older there are way to many kids now days that are to lazy and over weight as soon as they get off of the bus at home all they want to do is go in the house and play video games
bulls*** if you have young kids make them stay outside tough them up put those games away make them stay in shape and stay smart
keep them active outside at all times
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 10:35:19
There is much room for improvement in the English education system from preeschool to postgraduate level. These are some ideas so probebly contreversial.
1, Funding should be via taxation so that education is free to the student. Everyone benefits from an educated and informed community. With better education usually comes better paid work so in a system of progressive taxation these increased taxes will be paying for that education.
2, Class sises should be minimalist, preferably no more than 12 per class/teacher. We need a system that meets both the needs of each pupil plus meeting the needs of future skills.
3, Further and higher education should be equally funded to meet changing needs and retraining.
4, Population fitness is as important as education - minds and bodies both! Stop selling off recreational areas and swimming pools. Alow free access to people in full time education [and the retired]. Have deficit funding from national taxation.
5, Alow tax brakes for parents and part time students for both health, education and recreation activities.
6, Also tax advantages to promote good quality and economically priced homes including shared equity scheems for all workers, not just so called key workers.
7, The key goal being to maximise community integration and minimise segregation. No more 'sink estates'.
8, Just for starters! I'm glad this topic thread got started.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 10:39:06
easy to blame the state and system for what parents should be ensuring thier children get, nothing is stopping a parent from not driving them to school or putting thier kid in a baseball team or football team or even taking them for a kickabout in the park.

Why should the government take the blame if parents are happy to feed kids s*** and let them sit on thier arses?
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 10:45:10
@Richard142 Said

1, Funding should be via taxation so that education is free to the student. Everyone benefits from an educated and informed community. With better education usually comes better paid work so in a system of progressive taxation these increased taxes will be paying for that education.

2, Class sises should be minimalist, preferably no more than 12 per class/teacher. We need a system that meets both the needs of each pupil plus meeting the needs of future skills.
3, Further and higher education should be equally funded to meet changing needs and retraining.
4, Population fitness is as important as education - minds and bodies both! Stop selling off recreational areas and swimming pools. Alow free access to people in full time education [and the retired]. Have deficit funding from national taxation.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but realistically:

1- That's true, but even if the Government were to increase taxation to improve education which would benefit society, the public would go into hysteria, not good for the Party in power when they would already face aggro from the opposing party.

2- I completely agree but honestly that would be extremely difficult. There would need to be more classrooms built and more teachers introduced into schools, which both cost a lot of money.

I do however whole heartedly agree with you about Higher Education getting more funding though, I think tuition fees should be scrapped or at least lowered somewhat (which is in itself unrealistic but hey I can dream ), you are right everyone deserves to get good quality education at a low cost, I think education is a right not a privellege (sp?).
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#5New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 10:59:35
@treebee Said

easy to blame the state and system for what parents should be ensuring thier children get, nothing is stopping a parent from not driving them to school or putting thier kid in a baseball team or football team or even taking them for a kickabout in the park.

Why should the government take the blame if parents are happy to feed kids s*** and let them sit on thier arses?

Because the parents want to sit on their arses and let everyone else do the hard work and motivate their kids.

I wonder where the kids get it from?
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 11:00:44
@MonkeyMadness Said

Because the parents want to sit on their arses and let everyone else do the hard work and motivate their kids.

I wonder where the kids get it from?

exactly! we have become a nation of WAH WAH WAH! someone parent my kids for me, i cant be botherd, dont we pay tax for someone to do that for us?
MonkeyMadness On April 08, 2015
Lord of your mum

Big Tree, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 11:02:08
@treebee Said

exactly! we have become a nation of WAH WAH WAH! someone parent my kids for me, i cant be botherd, dont we pay tax for someone to do that for us?

And people have the cheek to moan about the nanny state!
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 11:04:10
@MonkeyMadness Said

yeah exactly, i think i remember Doug saying something about it a couple of years ago. We complain about a nanny state but are not prepared to be responsible even for ourselves.
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#9New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 11:22:47
@Richard142 Said

There is much room for improvement in the English education system from preeschool to postgraduate level. These are some ideas so probebly contreversial.
5, Alow tax brakes for parents and part time students for both health, education and recreation activities.
6, Also tax advantages to promote good quality and economically priced homes including shared equity scheems for all workers, not just so called key workers.
7, The key goal being to maximise community integration and minimise segregation. No more 'sink estates'.
8, Just for starters! I'm glad this topic thread got started.

I taught for 25 years, and ideally this should be the case, but realisticly( teacher needs spell check); no way.My friend has three children, I have one; gifts, we lose, weddings, we lose, graduations, we lose.I don't resent it but she has six grandchildren and I don't think it's fair. This is what will happen with taxes; why do I have to pay the bill for someone's huge family? There are many programs and anyone who wants a higher education can find a way.
My son worked all the way through school and was better off for it.
Have you ever been to a school board meeting, they don't want to pay the teachers, let alone pay more for the students. Anybody thinks we get off easy hasn't seen me grading papers at midnight. The schools are overwelmed with safety issues, and the parents have to come up and get with the game. I'm not paying for laziness. We need to bring back many things, but schools are looking to cut programs not add.
I left after being shot in my classroom; they're busy paying for armed guards. It's very very sad, but this is reality today.
We all need a huge wakeup call, schools aren't like when we went, put government in the mix.
SKUBER On July 20, 2009

Deleted

N/A,
#10New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 11:35:11
School funding has always been very unfair in the US,funded neighborhood by neighborhood by property taxes! That meant that poor neighborhoods that paid lower taxes got fewer funds for the schools,but the neighborhoods with higher property values,received everything for their schools!
Richard142 On February 15, 2015

Greater London, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 11:36:36
I agree with "We all need a huge wakeup call, schools aren't like when we went, put government in the mix." We need a mega wake up call. All the huge money used to bail out the banks. Much of this would be better invested into education, buildings and teachers. Many schools are being opened in evenings for futher education classes. This is basic investment in all our futures. So many, in thousands, miss out on basic education skills each year. Also each year millions is spent keeping people in prision. Many of these people also missed out, the then 'education' system let them down, so letting us all down.
Invest and spend wisely now will be helping the place our children inheret. [I also need help spelling and typing!]
xtreme On April 05, 2012

dirty south,
#12New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 13:12:26
@treebee Said

thats the point i was getting at the parents need to get a grip on the kids these days even in public places they let the kids rule and run about like a wild child just like i was in a rsteakhouse yesterday in a benchseat with my wife and on the other side was a couple with a kid about 4 years of age ok hes old enough to know how to act in public he was all over that damn place screaming jumping up and down till i had enough then i stood up and said shut up the dad said what i said you heard me take him to the estroom and deal with him before i deal with you
now the government is not in these situations
xtreme On April 05, 2012

dirty south,
#13New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 13:15:42
@MonkeyMadness Said

exactly parents need to start busting some ass's on some kids now days these kids are way out of control
Paradigm10 On July 09, 2010

Old Forge,
#14New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 13:42:47
I am fortunate enough to live in a small community where many of the parents are involved in their childrens educations. Their is actually friction between the school administration and the PTA because the parents want to be so closely involved in the day to day activities of our public school. They stopped parents from volunteering in the lunch room amongnst other things.

The people trip over themselves to volunteer their time or to donate food, money, and clothing. They pack the auditorium with all the Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents,etc... everytime there is some choral program or talent show. I love it but you have to be there an hour ahead of time and there will still be people there ahead of you.

Don't even get me started about the line of traffic I have to deal with when I drop my kids or pick them up after school. There are buses but many of us prefer not to put our precious little ones on with the other hooligans. LOL We really would benefit by having bus monitors as the drivers have to keep their eyes on the road and kids will be kids.

We have a school uniform policy (which I hate because of the extra laundry,but I deal with it), we have a wellness policy whereby there are no more horribly unhealthy food and beverage choices allowed in school. We have mandatory after school tutoring for the kids who are not maintaining an average of 80 or better.

We are not the most affluent neighborhood and we're all jealous about that. There is always room for improvement. I do have a list of complaints.

I keep reminding my children how very lucky they are to be given the opportunity to go to school. They don't believe me but I keep on them. Still, with all that is being offered to these children we still find many of them ungrateful and unresponsive to our efforts.
Paradigm10 On July 09, 2010

Old Forge,
#15New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 13:43:26
@Paradigm10 Said

I am fortunate enough to live in a small community where many of the parents are involved in their childrens educations. There is actually friction between the school administration and the PTA because the parents want to be so closely involved in the day to day activities of our public school. They stopped parents from volunteering in the lunch room amongnst other things.

The people trip over themselves to volunteer their time or to donate food, money, and clothing. They pack the auditorium with all the Aunts, Uncles, Grandparents,etc... everytime there is some choral program or talent show. I love it but you have to be there an hour ahead of time and there will still be people there ahead of you.

Don't even get me started about the line of traffic I have to deal with when I drop my kids or pick them up after school. There are buses but many of us prefer not to put our precious little ones on with the other hooligans. LOL We really would benefit by having bus monitors as the drivers have to keep their eyes on the road and kids will be kids.

We have a school uniform policy (which I hate because of the extra laundry,but I deal with it), we have a wellness policy whereby there are no more horribly unhealthy food and beverage choices allowed in school. We have mandatory after school tutoring for the kids who are not maintaining an average of 80 or better.

We are not the most affluent neighborhood and we're all jealous about that. There is always room for improvement. I do have a list of complaints.

I keep reminding my children how very lucky they are to be given the opportunity to go to school. They don't believe me but I keep on them. Still, with all that is being offered to these children we still find many of them ungrateful and unresponsive to our efforts.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs