Forums: Business & Money:
Jobs & Careers

Can you guys check out my resume?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Doc_Rockulus On May 30, 2009

Windsor, Canada
#1New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 17:41:24
Here are my cover letter and resume, can you guys tell me what you think?

Assume I'm applying for tech support positions.

Cover letter:

Myname
myaddress.,
Windsor, Ontario
Day: pho-nen-umber
Night: pho-nen-umber

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

To whom it may concern;

I am writing because I believe that my skills and experience will be a valuable asset to your company. In my attached resume, you will note that I have well founded skills in many aspects of computer troubleshooting for both hardware and software applications on all modern operating systems and platforms. I can also utilize these skills to help people in an efficient and effective manner.

I have invaluable experience working with people who have limited knowledge of computers, and welcome any challenge with a smile. I am a very self-motivated learner, and am always advancing my knowledge in many aspects of technology.

If you are looking for an employee who is hard working, knowledgeable, works well with others, and will be an excellent addition to your company, then I ask you to please consider me as an employment candidate.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

myname

Resume:

MYNAME
myaddress, Windsor, Ontario
Daytime phone: pho-nen-umber
Evening phone: pho-nen-umber

@gmail. com">emailaddy @gmail. com

Summary of Qualifications and Achievements

Experienced in many aspects of computer repair. Works well independently and with others. Good knowledge of hardware, software, and networking. Excellent communication and people skills.

Education

Walkerville Collegiate, Windsor Ontario 2002/2007
- Multiple computer science courses
- Tech club
- Assisted computer administrator with computer repairs

Kennedy Collegiate, Windsor Ontario 2007/2008
- Graduated with over 50 hours community service

Professional Experience

Puter-Telligence computer repairs 2000/Present
- Repaired computers both in office, and in customers homes
- Set-up of home networks
- Installation of various software including multiple operating systems.
- Installation and troubleshooting new hardware.
- Customer service, including negotiating prices, and diagnosing problems over
the phone.

Personal Experience

- Built many home computers.
- Self taught Turing, Java, HTML, JavaScript, and C++.
- Use of Post Probe hardware diagnostics tool.
- Use of information databases.
- Use of Microsoft Office, including: Word, Excel, Front Page, Power Point and Microsoft Access.
- First hand experience repairing a variety of computer and network related problems.

Your input would be appreciated, I really need a job.
DeepRed On March 07, 2010
Tripologist

Deleted

Michael Winner's basement, Uni
#2New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 17:43:34
you can do all that! i can't even find the off button

i'm sure if they don't react like that its just because they can't read.

Windsor, Canada
#3New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 17:48:17
I'm going to be showing this to people who are better than me at this, but I'm confedent in my skills, it's the format I'm worried about.
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#4New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 17:53:18
don't forget to add at the bottom of your resume "Reference upon request"

Windsor, Canada
#5New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 17:55:39
I don't know how I forgot that. Thanks...

Now all I need are some references...
LaLaMissMandy On September 27, 2009

Deleted

EUGENE, Oregon
#6New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 17:58:06
You have a great cover letter prepared, I read over it and the only thing that caught my eye was the word "invaluable", it is correct but imo a different word would work better.

Anywho.. good work and good luck finding employment
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#7New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 18:00:44
Yeah that sound fine to me

Windsor, Canada
#8New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 18:08:46
Awesome, and thanks, it's hard as hell finding a job here, what with all the motor companies shutting down and all.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#9New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 18:23:15
It might be different in canada, but what I see as lacking is information in the education section. Though, if its just difference in educational systems form there and the USA, then you might be ok.

Did you actually get a degree/certificate from those schools or just take a few classes from there? Walkerville Collegiate

Too me it looks like it was a few classes from the first place, and while you graduated from the second, (Kennedy Collegiate) you don't say with what... is the equivalent of high school or higher education?

I recommend putting a degree or certificate if you have it. and maybe listing a bit more info about what that community service is and why its important. (to a tech job)

I do like that you put the tech club and the assistance there, it shows that you did more in college than go to class, and they are skills that are relevant to the field you are looking at. Where as if you were in the knitting club that might not be as useful.

everything else looks good to me, I don't see anything that's going to immediately get you tossed in the "nevermind" pile. keep in mind that for most jobs the hiring person usually sorts though all resumes in less than a minute, then gets down to looking at the details. the key is to make sure you survive that first cut.

And it my sound silly, but use good quality paper and make sure that everything is neatly presented on the page. (unless its an electronic application) Those little things matter, and in a tough job market its best to go in with your best foot forward.

Good luck!!

Windsor, Canada
#10New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 18:30:38
They are both high schools. I haven't actually gone to college or uni. The schools in this city are dumb and were established in like, the 20's and therefore called "colligates". I only went to kennedy for 1 year, and I hated the hell out of it so I didn't really do much extra curricular stuff.

Actually, the main reason I need a job is to go to college.

Also, in Ontario, you need 40 hours of community service in order to graduate, so noting that I went above and beyond expectations is more positive than you might think.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#11New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 19:16:01
Ok great, I thought it might be something like that considering your age. I'm just more used to seeing applications and resumes of American kids right of our HS.

Sounds good then Good Luck.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#12New Post! May 18, 2009 @ 19:57:09
Summary of Qualifications and Achievements do not mean what you described. Those would be awards, certificates, licenses, scholarships, honors, etc

What you put under it, needs to be under a section called skills. Here list what you can do. Under here, you need to move Microsoft office and all your HTML, coding skills from personal experience to skills.

Also instead of saying Use of Microsoft Office, including: Word, Excel, Front Page, Power Point and Microsoft Access....make it short and concise and just say "Experience with all aspects of Microsoft Office"

Also don't say "Self taught Turing, Java, HTML, JavaScript, and C++."

Instead just say, "Experiences working with Turing, Java, HTML, JavaScript and C++."

Make your skills the last section, Professional expression should be first, then schooling and so forth.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#13New Post! May 21, 2009 @ 08:13:13
Listen to the Boobagins. She knows what she is talking about. And probably a lot more than that.

Windsor, Canada
#14New Post! May 28, 2009 @ 23:54:58
Hey, thanks for your help everybody, I got the job! I start in 10 days!
LaLaMissMandy On September 27, 2009

Deleted

EUGENE, Oregon
#15New Post! May 29, 2009 @ 00:00:04
@Doc_Rockulus Said

Hey, thanks for your help everybody, I got the job! I start in 10 days!

Congrats (Wooohooooo!!)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs