The World and Human Advancement

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
radharc On June 06, 2011

auckland, New Zealand
#46New Post! Jun 24, 2009 @ 04:35:49
@shinobinoz Said

Naw! We ain't that bright and sure not that sweet. We are more than likely going to cause our own demise. You got this about 180 degrees backwards.

Its about wisdom and technology, if our technology outweighs our level of wisdom then yes, we will destroy ourselves. Which is great! because it means that supidity cannot survive.

@shinobinoz Said

And there is any difference today?

boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#47New Post! Jul 14, 2009 @ 01:39:49
Kristy's gender issue thread made be think about this thread. I love your threads...a couple months go by after I've posted and I always get an "ah-haa" light bulb go off in my head that remind me of your arguments.

Okay...your argument is that we should go back to being hunters/gathers. Now...if we do that...would be be taking ten steps back in gender roles. There is no question that men are stronger then women(physically). They're bodies are designed to build more power, strength, speed etc than the female body.

Now going back to hunters/gathers age...there is no question that its the women carrying and giving birth, not to mention the milk producing afterwords. If we have kids...women are going back to taking care of the kids, nursing, feeding etc while the men are out hunting.

Now this is not to argue...sure women can also do it as men...but with the situation at hand...most will end up compromising and staying back.

Ten steps back. Combat it.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#48New Post! Jul 14, 2009 @ 02:27:33
@boobagins Said

Kristy's gender issue thread made be think about this thread. I love your threads...a couple months go by after I've posted and I always get an "ah-haa" light bulb go off in my head that remind me of your arguments.

Okay...your argument is that we should go back to being hunters/gathers. Now...if we do that...would be be taking ten steps back in gender roles. There is no question that men are stronger then women(physically). They're bodies are designed to build more power, strength, speed etc than the female body.

Now going back to hunters/gathers age...there is no question that its the women carrying and giving birth, not to mention the milk producing afterwords. If we have kids...women are going back to taking care of the kids, nursing, feeding etc while the men are out hunting.

Now this is not to argue...sure women can also do it as men...but with the situation at hand...most will end up compromising and staying back.

Ten steps back. Combat it.

There were far fewer hunter gatherers than you might think. And although there may have been traditional roles (yes and as it stands- only women give birth) there were also women leading First Nations and involved in being hunters or warriors. It all depends. Now can anyone say that they would give up working 10 to 19 hours a week gathering/hunting for 40 + hours in a cage now?

And most of their time was with family and friends. Yours is with co-workers.
Raymondone888 On January 26, 2013
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Apr 30, 2010 @ 16:22:08
@Asme251 Said

I just finished reading the novel Ishmael and I've been thinking about this question: Was the world better off with humans as hunter-gatherers? Also, would humans survive longer if they had stayed as hunter-gatherers?

I think that the answer is yes, to both questions. First of all, there is the obvious environmental damage that humans have imparted upon the world through their industrial expansion.

However, the future of "green" energy and technology promises to stop the environmental damage. However, I believe that the problem is more fundamental than just environmental damage. The problem, as stated in Ishmael, started when humans decided to settle down and become agriculturalists. Now some might wonder, why is that bad? Well, as hunter gatherers, humans had to live and adapt to the environment. That's how humans came to evolve. They needed to survive and thus needed to evolve. More importantly, humans also had to limit their growth (like every other animal) in order to survive as hunter gathereres. If there are too many humans, then resources will run out, the population will decrease, food will be available again and the cycle repeats. This practically happened to every Animal in the world .

When humans settled down after the first Agricultural Revolution (also called the Neolithic Revolution ) , they decided to step out of their hunter gatherer lives. In doing so, they tried to exempt themselves from the laws that limited the growth of other Animals. When you grow your own food, when you have surplus food available, you no longer depend on the availability of prey or plant life. You can simply harvest the food and live as you wish. More importantly, you can live without having to limit your growth . Why is this bad? Well think about it. If you grow a lot, what do you need? Food. How do you obtain the food? You settle on new areas, drive out the competiton (Animals who eat your prey) and obtain enough food to feed your population. But now you have more food than your population needs. So what happens? The cycle repeats, and you have what we have today! A poupulation expanding with unchecked growth.

Obviously, this means that we have successfully exempted ourselves from the laws that govern the growth of other Animals right? No. And I think most people everywhere know it. Eventually, we'll suck the resources out of the earth and we will have to reduce our population, drastically. What's different this time is that we won't be able to recover. As hunter gatherers, our prey would repopulate as our population declined. Judging by the way things are going now, we won't have the same prey in the future. We will have killed off all of our competition, reducing the diversity of nature, and we have domesticted and homogenized our prey. So by the time humans start dying off, most other animals will have died out. This is inevitable.

Some might argue that we're trying to keep our population under control through birth control, condoms...etc but of course, that's not taken seriously by anyone. Most people don't want to get pregnant because it will ruin their future, not because it will contribute to population increase. So in the end, we have to question our way of life. Is it the best way to survive in the long term? I mean, sure we have all these comforts but what use are they if we only destry ourselves in the end? Are we better off as hunter gatherers?

Now, of course no one is willing to go back to living as nomads. However, it is the only way to ensure our long term survival. Ishmael had a good theory about why humans are reluctant to live as nomads.As hunter gatherers, Humans were the best adapted species in the world. They had few to none natural predators and, as omnivores, they could eat a wide vareity of food. So why did humans detest living in the mercy of nature? Quinn argues that once humans discovered agriculture, they hated going back to the mercy of nature. He states that humans wanted a guaranteed food source. They did not want to rely on the weather or on the availability of prey. So they decided to take themselves "out" of nature's grip and live as settled communities. Quinn says that humans did not escape nature's grasp. We are still constrained by food resources. We will eventually die off. And it's not going to be a gradual process either. So, ironically, our attempt to escape the grasp of nature will drive us to extinction.

So, I have to ask, With Gorilla gone Is there any hope for man?

Criticisms and other points of view are welcome!

I don't believe that this is a complicated matter.
My belief is that the human race are definately up for a very hard time in the future. The way that I see it is that the human race are actually divided into two sepperate spieces, givers & takers. The givers are responsible and have few children, and will give back to our fellow humans and to our environment. The takers are no different to a virus. Viruses eat and multiply which is exactly what the takers do. We have wars, Plagues, famines, which all help to keep the population down, although modern vaccines fight against this natural proccess. The west funds the third world, supplying life saving medicines and vaccines, as well as suplementing their food supply. What will happen when the west has a food supply problem, which it will have at some point in the future?. Many people believe that science will solve the problem although I believe that it is making the problem worse. Thats my case.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#50New Post! May 02, 2010 @ 06:40:58
Nice Ishmael recap. And I agree! 8)
Raymondone888 On January 26, 2013
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#51New Post! May 02, 2010 @ 22:58:47
@shinobinoz Said

Nice Ishmael recap. And I agree! 8)

Except that I will add that the one true enemy's are "FEAR" and ignorance.

The majority of humans and inhumans have underlying fear and are ignorant to the truth, because they fear it.

Fear of not having enough food, water, warmth, and a roof over their head. Survival is the dominant factor at the very core of the problem.

Fear causes people to behave in an irrational manner and the results of this fear lead to greed, power seeking, and the general madness that is endemic in society today.

We have the haves and the have not's. The haves are preocupied with keeping what they have and accumalating more. More is never enough because they always fear loosing what they have.

The have not's are preoccupied with scraping by with the leftovers from the haves. They keep the haves in power because it is what they are accustomed to, and they fear change.

I think the movie "AVATAR" sums it all up.

What a mess we are in.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs