Television

Bringing Back Old TV Shows

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#1New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:09:24
Does anyone see the point?

Maybe for a cast reunion or something like that but to film a whole new series of a show that ended years ago seems like wasted effort to me...

Fans get excited about it, but every time it's a pure disappointment, because things now will never be the same as things then.

So why do they bother?

Why not spend time writing and filming TV shows that will actually have viewers interested, and not wishing for TV shows of the past to return

I think John Cleese pretty much agrees with me, this is where I got my idea for a thread from: https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8036055.stm

Have you been disappointed by the revival of an old TV show that you liked? I know a lot of people were disappointed in the return of Red Dwarf.

Or is there a show that you want to see brought back and think it could be done well?
RrrendezVoodoo2 On July 10, 2015

#2New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:12:19
Rugrats All Grown up was a pile of dog s***

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#3New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:12:40
@RrrendezVoodoo2 Said

Rugrats All Grown up was a pile of dog s***

Haha, I remember that
RrrendezVoodoo2 On July 10, 2015

#4New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:14:47
@x_Laura_x Said

Haha, I remember that

It was so f***ing stupid!
Nyre On August 28, 2009

Regina, Canada
#5New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:17:30
Ok I'm totally going to bring out my dork-side here but here goes:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#6New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:19:47
Yeah, I agree with you Laura; if they are going to spend money and time, at least think up some new material..things of interest, and wit, to hold our attentions.

..scary avatar there by the way!! he was my childhood favorite..I'm gonna have nightmares!

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#7New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:20:59
@loveis Said

Yeah, I agree with you Laura; if they are going to spend money and time, at least think up some new material..things of interest, and wit, to hold our attentions.

..scary avatar there by the way!! he was my childhood favorite..I'm gonna have nightmares!

The Marshmallow Man is awesome
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#8New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:23:35
Dragon Ball Kai is kickass.
But that's just like a re-edit of the original, not a spin-off like you're talking about.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#9New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:23:37
@x_Laura_x Said

The Marshmallow Man is awesome

Marshmallow man? - I thought it was the pillsbury doughboy!!!

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#10New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:25:55
@loveis Said

Marshmallow man? - I thought it was the pillsbury doughboy!!!

Nope! It's the Marshmallow Man from Ghostbusters!
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#11New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:29:23
@Nyre Said

Ok I'm totally going to bring out my dork-side here but here goes:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

No, because Sarah Michelle Gellar now looks like a stringy celery stalk, unlike the sweet, soft, sexy little cutie she used to be.
Nyre On August 28, 2009

Regina, Canada
#12New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 06:34:24
@tardcore Said

No, because Sarah Michelle Gellar now looks like a stringy celery stalk, unlike the sweet, soft, sexy little cutie she used to be.

pfft I don't care about her.

James Marsters
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#13New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 07:05:12
The guy who played Spike? Well he is a talented actor....
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#14New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 07:15:20
@x_Laura_x Said

Does anyone see the point?

Maybe for a cast reunion or something like that but to film a whole new series of a show that ended years ago seems like wasted effort to me...

Fans get excited about it, but every time it's a pure disappointment, because things now will never be the same as things then.

So why do they bother?

Why not spend time writing and filming TV shows that will actually have viewers interested, and not wishing for TV shows of the past to return

I think John Cleese pretty much agrees with me, this is where I got my idea for a thread from: https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8036055.stm

Have you been disappointed by the revival of an old TV show that you liked? I know a lot of people were disappointed in the return of Red Dwarf.

Or is there a show that you want to see brought back and think it could be done well?

I agree - I think viewers have a lot of loyalty to an old show, but to try to breathe life into an old concept often has disappointing results. I think that Hollywood espec is learning this - they tend to go out on a high now (Scrubs, Raymond, Seinfeld, Sopranos) instead of waiting for viewers to get sick of them.

It gets to the point that every possible storyline has been explored -unless of course, there are so many cast members that new storylines are always possible. That's why I think shows like ER, NYPD blues, Neighbours and espec Eastenders, have survived.

I actually can't think of a TV show that was revived; some game shows have been revived in Australia and done well, but that's all I can think of.

There are a couple of shows I'd be intrigued to see reworked and brought back to screen. Moonlighting is one, and Upstairs Downstairs is another. In both cases the writing was excellent & if they could match the writing standard and find good actors I think both could work well.
maximillion On December 13, 2016

, Minnesota
#15New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 07:24:59
Red Dwarf was shocking but i dont blame the cast the plot was awful i will admit it was good to see the guys back together but to me the spark was gone
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs