The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

What Happened To The Republican Party???

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Alanna On February 13, 2010

Cincinnati,
#31New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 03:58:51
@crazylikeafox Said

Not all corrupt CEOs are Republican, so that 1st part didn't even make sense. It's true, there are corrupt CEOs. However, they're the minority not the majority. That's why Enron was such big news. It isn't an every day occurance.

It is an everyday occurance to turn on the news and find another corporation going under due to fiscal mismanagement by the executives. It is an everyday occurance for people to watch their 401K's dwindling down to nothing. That is why we are in this economic depression. And...The majority of the CEO's of the largest corporations are Republican.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#32New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 09:41:04
@Alanna Said

Some guy supposedly representing the new Republican coalition was on TV last night talking about the party's platform - but it sounded like their historic economic position to me - free market economy, no taxes, and no social welfare programs. These are all the trademarks of Third World countries.

Free Market Economy means no government regulation of big business. This allows companies to not have to pay the mimimum wage, or health benefits, or vacation or sick days, and it allows the CEO's to drain all the money out of a corporation and abscound with your retirement and 401K before anyone notices.

No Taxes - Means no public schools, roads, bridges, health departments, clean drinking water, police protection, and no unemployment benefits, social security, and social welfare programs.

All the above are trademarks of a Third World Country.

That's quite a conclusion to leap to. I can't possibly tell you what he really meant because all I have to work with is "some guy supposedly representing the new Republican coalition" (whoever the heck THAT'S supposed to be) and a summary in your own words of what he actually said. Regardless, you still made inacurate assumptions based on your summary.

Free Market doesn't necessarily mean Industrial-Revolution-style-laissez-faire economics. It's just another word for Capitalism. No taxes would indeed mean everything you said, but no politician in their right mind would ever suggest such a thing. After all, that's where their paychecks come from. Even the weakest government in the world collects taxes. I'm not sure how a government could possibly survive without them.

You also seem to be confused about what "Third World Country" actually means. To be honest, the term is a little vague since the end of the Cold War. Originally, 1st World meant Capitalist countries allied with the US. 2nd World meant Communist countries allied with the USSR. 3rd World meant everyone else. Now, 1st World seems to mean industrialized nations while 3rd World means unindustrialized to industrializing nations. In other words, a 3rd World Country can have any number of economic systems. The fact Communist Vietnam is frequently referred to as a 3rd World Country should be enough proof that your deffinition doesn't work.

McKinney, Texas
#33New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 09:49:28
@Alanna Said

It is an everyday occurance to turn on the news and find another corporation going under due to fiscal mismanagement by the executives. It is an everyday occurance for people to watch their 401K's dwindling down to nothing. That is why we are in this economic depression. And...The majority of the CEO's of the largest corporations are Republican.

Well 1st of all we're in a Recession, not a Depression. 2nd most of the companies going under are doing so because they made bad decisions or were weak to begin with. 3rd, how can you possibly know the CEO's of the largest corporations are Republican? Assuming they were, where do you think Democrats get all their money? I'll give you a hint, it isn't from poor or middle-class workers.

Cincinnati,
#34New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 14:44:00
@crazylikeafox Said

That's quite a conclusion to leap to. I can't possibly tell you what he really meant because all I have to work with is "some guy supposedly representing the new Republican coalition" (whoever the heck THAT'S supposed to be) and a summary in your own words of what he actually said. Regardless, you still made inacurate assumptions based on your summary.

You also seem to be confused about what "Third World Country" actually means. To be honest, the term is a little vague since the end of the Cold War. Originally, 1st World meant Capitalist countries allied with the US. 2nd World meant Communist countries allied with the USSR. 3rd World meant everyone else. Now, 1st World seems to mean industrialized nations while 3rd World means unindustrialized to industrializing nations.

Yes,I did not get the name and credentials of the guy speaking for the Republican party on national TV. If you have the precise and accurate platform of the Republican Party direct from the Party Chairman you may post that.

You seem to be confused about what "Third World Country" means, due to the many definitions. I have copied the Wikipedia definition below which is widely accepted. The important fact is that little or no taxes results in little or no military, education, health, roads, bridges, airports, police and other public services.

From Wikipedia:
"Third World is a categorical label used to describe states that are considered to be underdeveloped in terms of their economy or level of industrialization, globalization, standard of living, health, education or other criteria for 'advancements'.
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#35New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 15:06:20
@Alanna Said

Yes,I did not get the name and credentials of the guy speaking for the Republican party on national TV. If you have the precise and accurate platform of the Republican Party direct from the Party Chairman you may post that.

You seem to be confused about what "Third World Country" means, due to the many definitions. I have copied the Wikipedia definition below which is widely accepted. The important fact is that little or no taxes results in little or no military, education, health, roads, bridges, airports, police and other public services.

From Wikipedia:
"Third World is a categorical label used to describe states that are considered to be underdeveloped in terms of their economy or level of industrialization, globalization, standard of living, health, education or other criteria for 'advancements'.

Actually crazylikeafox's definition is the proper definition of a third world country that was been given in political science texts. Wikipedia is not a reliable source of information. They definition they give is what the meaning of a third world country has kind of morphed into, but its not the official definition.
demosthenese On May 06, 2009

St Clair Shores, Michigan
#36New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 17:51:28
@WASH Said

You can say that of the Democrats. The power behind the Bushes was Wall Street. The power behind the Democratic party is money as well. Sample: UAW of the auto workers.

I wish that were true, but the fact that American workers, especially the UAW are getting screwed by Democrats right now disproves that myth.
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#37New Post! May 06, 2009 @ 23:22:57
@demosthenese Said

I wish that were true, but the fact that American workers, especially the UAW are getting screwed by Democrats right now disproves that myth.

What? Union workers at Chrysler essential own the company now while the bondholders are being screwed over hard.

McKinney, Texas
#38New Post! May 07, 2009 @ 09:33:44
@Alanna Said

From Wikipedia:

My point about the speaker on TV wasn't against you, I was just saying none of us can comment on it because we don't know who "he" is and you gave us a summary in your own words. Considering how little you seem to know about Republicans, you can surely understand my lack of faith in your summary.

When a Republican talks about lower taxes, they don't mean little to no taxes. That would be Libertarians (if we were to simplify things to their very basic definitions). We're well aware of the importance of the military, education, health, roads, bridges, airports, police and other public services. However, I should also point out that many times it's benificial to have private individuals offer these services as well (like private schools and hospitals). Why? Because it creates competition and avoids giving the government a monopoly, which is just as bad as letting companies have a monopoly.

I won't get into the 3rd World Country stuff because someone else already got into it. However, I'd like to point something out. Notice how your source doesn't say anything about Free Markets. In other words, your own source even says your definition is off.

Cincinnati,
#39New Post! May 08, 2009 @ 20:16:21
@crazylikeafox Said

My point about the speaker on TV wasn't against you, I was just saying none of us can comment on it because we don't know who "he" is and you gave us a summary in your own words. Considering how little you seem to know about Republicans, you can surely understand my lack of faith in your summary.

I said in my original comment I didn't know the name or credentials of the guy on TV talking about the platform of the Republican Party.

I've already told you if you know the exact platform straight from the Party Chairman, you may post it yourself.

How many more times are you going to bring this up? You can surely understand that I don't care whether you have any faith in my summary or not.

You are the one who seems to know little about the controllers of the Republican Party, or corporate politics.

McKinney, Texas
#40New Post! May 09, 2009 @ 03:53:26
@Alanna Said

I said in my original comment I didn't know the name or credentials of the guy on TV talking about the platform of the Republican Party.

I've already told you if you know the exact platform straight from the Party Chairman, you may post it yourself.

How many more times are you going to bring this up? You can surely understand that I don't care whether you have any faith in my summary or not.

I'm so glad you focused on the least important part of my post. Instead of, you know, the parts where I corrected you in regards to how Republicans view taxes and basic government services as well as pointing out your source about 3rd World Countries actually goes against you.

Quote:
You are the one who seems to know little about the controllers of the Republican Party, or corporate politics.

I know enough to know turning the richest country in the world into a 3rd World Country would prove devastating all around. I know no person would be stupid enough to even try it, and "greed" is a lousy justification because there's absolutely no benifit to it. Likewise, I know what Republicans believe, I know Democrats are just as important, and I know both make the country great and a loss of 1 would be a terrible blow to our Democracy.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#41New Post! May 09, 2009 @ 03:57:34
@crankshaft Said

We're just giving the 'crat's enough rope to hang themselves. And they are.

You can say that, but it doesn't make it true. Pretend all you want, the Republicans have spent the past 8 years f***ing a dead dog.

The question is "What Happened To The Republican Party?" and the answer is "Bush."
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#42New Post! May 09, 2009 @ 04:01:44
Alanna, the Republican Party has traditionally (in modern times) been the party of small government. Reagan remains the gold standard real champion of that. Less government interference in business and personal finance, less government interference in social issues, and the overall promotion of traditional values.

It's really silly to say that these are trademarks of "third world countries." Makes no sense. Third world countries are not characterized by stable, open, democratic governments, extremely advanced industry and technology, highly educated populaces, high per-capita GDPs, stable currencies, enormous imports, etc.

These are values and ideas that, frankly, the US was founded on. They have been core American principles from the beginning. Even liberals generally embrace the ideas of personal freedom. From a European perspective, the American Democratic Party is in favor of relatively low taxes, small government, and promotion of personal freedom.

Look up the Libertarian platform to see what it looks like when you have a Republican that feels he has no business legislating morality.

Those aren't third world country values. They're democratic ones.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs