Domestic partners of New Mexico state retirees get benefits

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Apr 29, 2009 @ 23:43:02
Quote:
SANTA FE ? The state of New Mexico has agreed to offer health care coverage to same-sex domestic partners of retired governmental and educational workers.

The change in policy will settle a lawsuit brought in 2007 by the American Civil Liberties Union on behalf of same-sex couples who worked in state government and Albuquerque public schools.

"It wasn't fair that the state forced lesbian and gay employees to pay the high cost of health care for often inferior health insurance for their families when they worked just as hard as their straight colleagues," Peter Simonson, executive director of ACLU-New Mexico, said Tuesday in announcing the settlement.

https://www.kob.com/article/stories/s903672.shtml?cat=504

For what it's worth I'm thinking our state government has been equal in deducting the money out of 'all' state' employee pay checks all along , but until this lawsuit brought in 2007 by American Civil Liberties Union shed some light on the deal they were less than equal with the benefits to 'all state employees' . IMO
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#2New Post! Apr 29, 2009 @ 23:54:30
domestic partnerships benefits have been available to "straight" couples for a while here. Its not that hard I considered to it when we lived together before marriage, but we get better coverage separately.

This just corrects the fact that it did not allow same sex domestic partners to qualify, even if they can provide the same exact proof and documents that straight people could.

and trust me this state deducts out the wazoo, for the coverage we do get, so its not free coverage, but its at least fair now.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#3New Post! Apr 30, 2009 @ 00:19:59
@DiscordTiger Said

domestic partnerships benefits have been available to "straight" couples for a while here. Its not that hard I considered to it when we lived together before marriage, but we get better coverage separately.

This just corrects the fact that it did not allow same sex domestic partners to qualify, even if they can provide the same exact proof and documents that straight people could.

and trust me this state deducts out the wazoo, for the coverage we do get, so its not free coverage, but its at least fair now.

I'm not a state employee nor gay so all I could 'give' is opinion about this. I was hoping someone with first hand knowledge either as a state employee or part of a domestic partnership either straight or gay would post about this.
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#4New Post! Apr 30, 2009 @ 00:31:24
Yeah, I count as a state educational employee...

domestic partner benefits are easy to get, "proof" is pretty basic for any couple living together, both names on lease, joint accounts, signing a statement that you "look after each other". We can opt into the health and other benefits once a year, or other times if criteria is meet, (like a new marriage or partnership). Like I said, I would have done it for the two years we lived together before marriage, but it would have cost us more money out of pocket and the other benefits just weren't worth it at the time.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#5New Post! Apr 30, 2009 @ 00:42:15
@DiscordTiger Said

Yeah, I count as a state educational employee...

domestic partner benefits are easy to get, "proof" is pretty basic for any couple living together, both names on lease, joint accounts, signing a statement that you "look after each other". We can opt into the health and other benefits once a year, or other times if criteria is meet, (like a new marriage or partnership). Like I said, I would have done it for the two years we lived together before marriage, but it would have cost us more money out of pocket and the other benefits just weren't worth it at the time.

Ya just gotta wonder if them politicians don't like 'egg on the face' with this kind of s***. All along the benefits have been accessible to some but not all employees ,it takes a lawsuit to 'make them 'fix' it . I would think they would crawl off with red faces and tails tucked for being as*holes all this time. .
The Queen of Random

Administrator

#6New Post! Apr 30, 2009 @ 00:53:13
meh, nah they are just doing what will get them elected and keep them there.

And its not like marriage was defined specifically between a man and a woman here in NM, gender used to completely left out of the law. It might be changed now there was a big scandal when the Sandoval county clerk decided to start handing out marriage licenses to same-sex couples. Though its been a few years, I don't remember the details other than there was a mad rush to stop her, so they must have passed something....it's a little fuzzy to me right now.

Though most domestic partnerships couples I knew from work were straight couples, being a community property state sometimes it is in couple best financial interest not to marry. It depends, the laws are weird. But this finally makes it fair. Which is good in my opinion.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs