Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
worpd201 On February 29, 2024
The Muffin Man.

Manistee, Michigan
#31New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 11:18:21
@angelcake Said

Gall stones can be a really difficult thing to diagnose as it presents usually with symptoms that are similar to other things and without an ultrasound on the gallbladder then there's no way of knowing it's gallstones.

I know, but I went to the hospital seven times with agonizing stomach pain before they thought to give me an ultrasound.

A friend of mine went in once with stomach pain and she was in surgery in less than 4 hours.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 11:29:24
A big resource drain on the NHS is paperwork.

The government and european standards have set targets within every aspect of the NHS.

What has happened is more work is going into proving that the departments are meeting the targets than necessary. We are wound up in beuraucracy.

Although standards were just as high in the past we now have to have written protocols in just about everything we do. Not just have the protocols written but reveiewed every year and everyone re-trained in it every single year.

And we understand that to deliver a rate of service that is equal at any hospital, health centre or surgery regardless of where it is or how poor or affluent the area is then we do have to stick to standard protocols of care.

However when we have to bring in managers to cope with legislation and protocol and we have to pay them a good corporate wage just to keep up with the paperwork the government has set, there is our leak of resources.

The NHS is in a transition stage, Doctors are now trained in business management. The old Doctors cannot recognise todays role. More senior nurses are encouraged to take jobs in management with no hands on work.

And the thing that annoys us most is that if and when the conservative government come back into power the whole system will change AGAIN.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 11:33:03
@worpd201 Said

I know, but I went to the hospital seven times with agonizing stomach pain before they thought to give me an ultrasound.

A friend of mine went in once with stomach pain and she was in surgery in less than 4 hours.

It really does depend on presentation and the doctor. I got diagnosed with gall stones on my first attack but I've got a lot of risk factors and had textbook presentation but my cousin who didn't have such a classic presentation went for years without it being diagnosed.
The Muffin Man.

Manistee, Michigan
#34New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 11:34:44
@angelcake Said

It really does depend on presentation and the doctor. I got diagnosed with gall stones on my first attack but I've got a lot of risk factors and had textbook presentation but my cousin who didn't have such a classic presentation went for years without it being diagnosed.

I understand. It just seems funny to me that I had to be completely jaundiced before they even thought of doing the test.
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 11:36:37
@treebee Said

A big resource drain on the NHS is paperwork.

The government and european standards have set targets within every aspect of the NHS.

What has happened is more work is going into proving that the departments are meeting the targets than necessary. We are wound up in beuraucracy.

Although standards were just as high in the past we now have to have written protocols in just about everything we do. Not just have the protocols written but reveiewed every year and everyone re-trained in it every single year.

And we understand that to deliver a rate of service that is equal at any hospital, health centre or surgery regardless of where it is or how poor or affluent the area is then we do have to stick to standard protocols of care.

However when we have to bring in managers to cope with legislation and protocol and we have to pay them a good corporate wage just to keep up with the paperwork the government has set, there is our leak of resources.

The NHS is in a transition stage, Doctors are now trained in business management. The old Doctors cannot recognise todays role. More senior nurses are encouraged to take jobs in management with no hands on work.

And the thing that annoys us most is that if and when the conservative government come back into power the whole system will change AGAIN.

The doctors at work (the olders ones especially) have serious issues with the paperwork and electronic system basically causes them to have melt downs.

Most of the paperwork is 'unnecessary' and will be binned/recycled but t all takes time.
The Muffin Man.

Manistee, Michigan
#36New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 11:41:51
@angelcake Said

The doctors at work (the olders ones especially) have serious issues with the paperwork and electronic system basically causes them to have melt downs.

Most of the paperwork is 'unnecessary' and will be binned/recycled but t all takes time.

I think that this is the reason why we haven't socialized health care in the states. A lot of our patient filing system is still done on paper, and sometimes uses carbon paper to make copies. Although we are working on it, I think their should be a standard operating system for hospital computers with dedicated internet servers so that information can be filed and transferred easier and quicker. This would give doctors more info on supposed hypochondriacs.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#37New Post! Apr 21, 2009 @ 12:01:05
A&E? is that like our ER/Emergency Room here in the USA? Here at the hospital we go to, I've spent over 12 hours there from the time I walked in, until the time I walked out. It is all a matter of prioritizing. And yes, you're in a lot of pain, but you are not going to die from pain, and you've been triaged as best as possible. I always take a book to read, sometimes I've been so into the book I haven't even heard my name being called. And I always
remind myself these things #1) as much as my complaint is bothering me, I know myself it is most likely not life threatening; 2) yes, there are others in the waiting room worse off then I am (ewwww, fish hook stuck in his hand); 3) I know there are only a few doctors on hand on staff at that time; 4) I know that back where I can't see it there are ambulances coming in frequently that have a
higher priority; and 5) I know that if pain is my major complaint, I can always take something at home before I leave to help alleviate it. Usually, I decide to go in after that doesn't work. I used to go in when home meds wouldn't work and my misery was keeping me awake at nights. Now if at all possible I try to use one of the
other alternative ways of seeing a doctor (which they have put in place to help decrease the amount of people in the waiting room): 1) it's really good, they came up with a way that you can go online, put down why you want to be seen, and get an appointment for the very next day. If you can make it through the night. 2) Another possibility is call first thing in the morning, state you chief complaint, and if it is critical enough and you are one of the first callers, they will make you an appt the same day. Each day, there are a few slots left open for this type of appt, but only a few, and appts are made based on severity of chief complaint.
jobsy On June 18, 2009

, United Kingdom
#38New Post! Apr 22, 2009 @ 09:02:58
@DuLu Said

A&E? is that like our ER/Emergency Room here in the USA?

Yes, it stands for accident and emergency
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Apr 22, 2009 @ 13:44:55
@DuLu Said

A&E? is that like our ER/Emergency Room here in the USA?
Here at the hospital we go to, I've spent over 12 hours there from the time I walked in, until the time I walked
out. It is all a matter of prioritizing. And yes, you're in a lot of pain, but you are not going to die from pain,
and you've been triaged as best as possible. I always take a book to read, sometimes I've been so into the book I haven't even heard my name being called. And I always
remind myself these things #1) as much as my complaint is bothering me, I know myself it is most likely not life
threatening; 2) yes, there are others in the waiting room worse off then I am (ewwww, fish hook stuck in his hand);
3) I know there are only a few doctors on hand on staff
at that time; 4) I know that back where I can't see it
there are ambulances coming in frequently that have a
higher priority; and 5) I know that if pain is my major
complaint, I can always take something at home before I
leave to help alleviate it. Usually, I decide to go in
after that doesn't work. I used to go in when home meds wouldn't work and my misery was keeping me awake at nights. Now if at all possible I try to use one of the
other alternative ways of seeing a doctor (which they have
put in place to help decrease the amount of people in the
waiting room): 1) it's really good, they came up with a
way that you can go online, put down why you want to be
seen, and get an appointment for the very next day. If
you can make it through the night. 2) Another possibility
is call first thing in the morning, state you chief complaint, and if it is critical enough and you are one of the first callers, they will make you an appt the same day.
Each day, there are a few slots left open for this type of appt, but only a few, and appts are made based on
severity of chief complaint.

Before I got in there I almost gave myself hypothermia sitting outside in nothing but I nightie because I was convinced that I was too hot. My flatmate tried to give me a glass of water and trying to swallow that made me scream out loud. I was confused and had no idea what was going on except for the vague idea that this maybe had something to do with the surgery I'd had a few days before. My mum called the NHS 24 service which is there to give help and advice for something that you think needs to be seen to but is not serious enough for you to call out an Ambulance. The advisor on the other end of the phone was the one who sent out the ambulance and the paramedics who came to see if the ambulance was really necessary didn't stop to think about it. Next was the fact that I had screamed a few times and bit chunks out of a vomit bowl I'd been sent home with in case I was sick in the car because it was either that or chew my own hand to try to get some relief. I screamed quite a few times from the pain, some of the worst I've ever felt and I was supposed to wait until morning and see my GP?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs