Mac or Windows

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#31New Post! Apr 27, 2009 @ 11:57:12
But then again, if you have any uncertainty about which one you should get, go with the Mac:

When you get your Mac, you can run Boot Camp and run Windows too. You don't have to choose.
Plus this:
https://gizmodo.com/gadgets/notag/pc-worlds-declaration-of-vista-fastest-on-a-macbook-pro-turned-into-mac-vs-pc-ad-329555.php
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#34New Post! Apr 30, 2009 @ 12:08:03
My computer is better than a mac that would cost twice as much.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#35New Post! Apr 30, 2009 @ 22:04:15
@ShadyFx8 Said

yeah you can game on the mac, all you need is a mac that costs twice as much as a windows computer + bootcamp + a $250 copy of windows. why isent there a bootcamp to run osx 10 on windows? because windows does everything.

4 years old? maybe the case is but there is no way with 4 year old parts your dads computer is the 3rd most powerfully in the country

Actually, there isn't a legal way to run OS X on a PC because Apple tried Mac clones once before and almost went bankrupt. There is however the OSx86 community. And no, Windows does not do anything that Mac OS X does not.
ShadyFx8 On October 11, 2017

cairns, Australia
#36New Post! May 01, 2009 @ 14:12:38
@Xilmwa Said

Actually, there isn't a legal way to run OS X on a PC because Apple tried Mac clones once before and almost went bankrupt. There is however the OSx86 community. And no, Windows does not do anything that Mac OS X does not.

except games and the millions of pc programs. if you bootcamp them your using windows.

id like to ask; if you had to use a pc with windows installed but you could bootcamp mac osx what would you use it for? what would you do with osx that you couldent do with windows?
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#37New Post! May 02, 2009 @ 00:03:12
@ShadyFx8 Said

except games and the millions of pc programs. if you bootcamp them your using windows.

id like to ask; if you had to use a pc with windows installed but you could bootcamp mac osx what would you use it for? what would you do with osx that you couldent do with windows?

First of games. Mac OS X can run the games you use on Windows. It's called Crossover Games. ( https://www.codeweavers.com ) Besides that, I'm tired of hearing "WAAHHH MACS CANT PLAY GAMES CUZ MACS SUCK WAAAHH!!!" It's bulls***. Macs don't have as many native games because, you, the gamers, are practically non-existent on the Mac. Mac OS X has a rock-solid kernel, and the OS has advanced graphics from the ground up. Macs don't have many games because of a smaller user base, NOT because they aren't competent.

Second, I'd like to see a PC that comes bundled with an easy-to-use music creator, a fairly competent website-builder, a DVD creator, and a Movie creator. Also, many prefer Mac OS X because it is more aesthetically pleasant to them. Not only that, but Mac OS X is also faster than Windows Vista: https://ptech.allthingsd.com/20071025/leopard-faster-easier-than-vista/

Leopard can do more things with less resources than it's equivalent Windows OS, Vista, and don't even go off on Windows XP. It's now 8 years old. That's like comparing Windows XP to Windows 3.1 OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO BE FASTER!!!
Yappy1 On March 18, 2013

Deleted

, Canada
#38New Post! May 27, 2009 @ 17:38:15
Macs are hard to use (from personal experience), and make you feel dumb by telling saying things like closing window...

I like PCs, like 95% of software is made for PC while there is a lot that is not made for mac..and also I have always used PCs...

Who knows, Mac could be better if you try long enough to figure out how to use it.

PS The mac vs pc commercials are funny!!
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#39New Post! Jun 01, 2009 @ 17:53:18
@Yappy1 Said

Macs are hard to use (from personal experience), and make you feel dumb by telling saying things like closing window...

I like PCs, like 95% of software is made for PC while there is a lot that is not made for mac..and also I have always used PCs...

Who knows, Mac could be better if you try long enough to figure out how to use it.

PS The mac vs pc commercials are funny!!

Changing operating systems any time is a matter of learning a new language. For people with English as a primary language, Spanish will be hard, however, Spanish is very easy to those who learn it first. It doesn't mean it's impossible to learn it, it's just a bit more difficult.

That said, WTF are you talking about "closing window"?

95% of software is made for Windows (keep in mind, PC is an umbrella term. This can refer to Linux, BSD, SCO, even Mac OS X.) becuase Windows 2000, XP, and Vista alone have a market share of 89.92% compared to Mac OS X's 4.95%. It is therefore, unprofitable for the majority of companies to develop for the Mac platform. Switch the numbers, and you switch which platform has more programs.

Mac OS X is based on the Darwin kernel, which is related to the Mach microkernel. Because of it's UNIX-style of permissions, it is already more secure out of the box. In Windows, all files in the root directory (usually C are read-write accessible to even limited users (note that this has changed in Vista with User Access Control.) In any UNIX-like operating system, files outside of a user's home directory are off limits to anyone but another user (if in another user's home directory) or to root, the superuser. Regardless of UAC in Vista, it doesn't make much of a difference yet, because XP has a market share of 66.21% compared to Vista's 22.53%.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#40New Post! Jun 01, 2009 @ 18:00:45
Your statements about file access in both Windows and Unix environments are rather inaccurate.
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#41New Post! Jun 01, 2009 @ 19:27:46
@jonnythan Said

Your statements about file access in both Windows and Unix environments are rather inaccurate.

Would you care to extend this statement, or continue to gloat while the rest of us wait in suspense?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#42New Post! Jun 01, 2009 @ 19:30:02
@Xilmwa Said

Would you care to extend this statement, or continue to gloat while the rest of us wait in suspense?

I don't think anyone else really cares, so I won't bother.

I'll leave you with one thought though: how does 'ls' work for a user on a Unix terminal if he can't access files outside his home directory?
Xilmwa On June 19, 2015
Phoenix

Zarglibniksokternimilis,
#43New Post! Jun 01, 2009 @ 19:37:09
@jonnythan Said

I don't think anyone else really cares, so I won't bother.

I'll leave you with one thought though: how does 'ls' work for a user on a Unix terminal if he can't access files outside his home directory?

I said off-limits didn't I?

I meant anything outside the user's home folder cannot be written to by said user.
Yappy1 On March 18, 2013

Deleted

, Canada
#44New Post! Jun 02, 2009 @ 13:39:50
@Xilmwa Said

Changing operating systems any time is a matter of learning a new language. For people with English as a primary language, Spanish will be hard, however, Spanish is very easy to those who learn it first. It doesn't mean it's impossible to learn it, it's just a bit more difficult.

That said, WTF are you talking about "closing window"?

95% of software is made for Windows (keep in mind, PC is an umbrella term. This can refer to Linux, BSD, SCO, even Mac OS X.) becuase Windows 2000, XP, and Vista alone have a market share of 89.92% compared to Mac OS X's 4.95%. It is therefore, unprofitable for the majority of companies to develop for the Mac platform. Switch the numbers, and you switch which platform has more programs.

Mac OS X is based on the Darwin kernel, which is related to the Mach microkernel. Because of it's UNIX-style of permissions, it is already more secure out of the box. In Windows, all files in the root directory (usually C are read-write accessible to even limited users (note that this has changed in Vista with User Access Control.) In any UNIX-like operating system, files outside of a user's home directory are off limits to anyone but another user (if in another user's home directory) or to root, the superuser. Regardless of UAC in Vista, it doesn't make much of a difference yet, because XP has a market share of 66.21% compared to Vista's 22.53%.

Sorry, I meant Windows

I do not do good with other languages...a total fail at trying to learn French in school

Whenever I did ANYTHING with the mac, it would say stuff like firefox is open and closing window and stuff like that...very weird...

The directory bit was too technical for me but I get the general idea. I love my XP over my Vista computer..
northnet On February 21, 2012

Pomeroy, Iowa
#45New Post! Jun 03, 2009 @ 08:10:47
I'm a computer programmer, and I use Windows Based Computer since most people I work with have them. It's easier to make programs for Windows, and running commands and automations couldn't be simpler. I also have used Macs, and I've learned different languages (HTML, PHP, Java, Binary), but to me, getting alot of stuff done is more of a hassel on a Mac. It alone is like learning another language for me. That's just my view on it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs