Female Circumcision...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#76New Post! Apr 10, 2009 @ 15:34:21
@Nyre Said

IMO you can't demean female circumcision as "barbaric". You never grew up in that culture, you don't have those cultural beliefs, you don't know what is fully involved with the process (only what has been put into words), there is always more to know.

Again, I wouldn't want it done, but I can't disagree with it or call it "barbaric".

I disagree with you. Even if those women have been made to believe that this isn't barbaric, that this is normal, event that it's an honor, doesn't make it any less barbaric. it's not a matter of perception, I think. It's a matter of what's being done, why it's being done, and how it's being done.

The fact that it's someone's culture to mutilate children and ruin their sexual lives forever, doesn't make it any less barbaric...
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#77New Post! Apr 10, 2009 @ 15:38:20
It's plain wrong in the 21st century - period!

Miami, Florida
#78New Post! Apr 10, 2009 @ 15:42:09
@Nyre Said

I don't have all the facts or cultural upbringing to say it isn't "barbaric", nor do you to say it is

That's not the point. The cultural upbringings don't matter in this case. The point is that it's done, it hurts, it's dangerous, it's psychologically damaging, it's useless, and it ruins the young girl's sex life forever, or at least until she has it reversed, and even then she'd be way to psychologically damaged to enjoy the experience, i think...

The practice is barbaric. Anyone who has this done to their daughter isn't thinking about her well-being, or her happiness, their thinking about her future husband, and what will make him happy...

Miami, Florida
#79New Post! Apr 10, 2009 @ 15:44:34
@Nyre Said

And I know of a few who are understanding and somewhat pround of it and what it signifies...

the fact that they're made to believe that it's right doesn't make it so...

Quote:
I'm agreeing with you, I think that it is something that isn't necessary, however I can't disagree with their culture and what they deem to be right. The mother's had it done, so there must be some cause to have it done to their daughters. Therefore I cannot call it "barbaric"

The reasons they had it done to their daughters is becuase they think it's normal. but that doesn't make it right.

Miami, Florida
#80New Post! Apr 10, 2009 @ 15:56:56
@Nyre Said

We do plenty to children without their consent

From circumcising males at birth (with or without anesthetic) to getting your child's ear's peirced at 6mos of age.

Neither are their choice, the parent makes them.
And please don't say those don't compare becuase they aren't as bad...some disagree with male circumcision and some find it horribly abusive to get a 6 mos old's ears peirced....it's all relative IMO

Name me a culture where paedophillia is acceptable? you can't use that as your basis for me no condeming female circumcision, no culture exists. There are however cultures that don't accept male cirucumcision yet we still do it

I personally don't agree with any of it. I think it should be the person's choice whether or not a he or she wants to have anything done on their body.

however, I disagree with you that it's all the same. some may find a little six-mo-old's ears getting pierced 'abusive' but its not emotionally or physically harmful if properly cared for. it's not psychologically damaging. it's not comparable. not even male circumcision is comparable because of the countless health benefits it has. again, i don't think it should be done, but it's absolutely non-comparable...

b.t.w. although most cultures won't openly accept it, i can assure you that 'under-the-table' there are countless cultures who wouldn't doubt to sell their daughters for the right price, and others still who marry off their daughters at ridiculously young ages. so yes, there are cultures who are okay with it...

Miami, Florida
#81New Post! Apr 10, 2009 @ 16:03:54
@Nyre Said

Ok you just said that "if they new all the implications and we educated etc" then they would stop.

I agree. 100% But their culture is not that well informed, we are light years ahead of them.

The next sentence you said you will not and cannot condone it because it's their culture.

they don't know better, but you do. so how can you not call it barbaric, knowing as you do the consequences of this disgusting practice?
Victoriana On February 19, 2011

, Australia
#82New Post! Apr 15, 2009 @ 04:40:01
@jeanettesianrachel Said

i think its better to be circumcised cos of the sheer cleanliness,my firends hubby is someone high up in a tribe in africa and when hes sons were born they hd theres done by the priest without pain killers x

*sigh* and 'cleanliness' is exactly the argument that parents of children with female circumcision use. That and 'tradition' and 'it looks better'. Exactly the same arguments. I think cutting off a body part is barbaric, male or female.
DuLu On January 11, 2017
CHOOSE HAPPINESS!!!

Waverly, Washington
#83New Post! Apr 20, 2009 @ 03:48:42
Barbaric.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs