The New Proposed Minimum Alcohol Price

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#31New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 16:22:56
This idea has been proposed anyway, in response to supermarkets using the extremely popular idea of having alcohol as a loss leader. The killjoys want to end the tradition of stocking up on the 2 for 1 crates of beers when the football competitions are on

Two groups are complaining about this -

1 - Pub owners who are miffed due to people drinking just as good beer at home with friends in front of the xbox or tv (If you drink lager) for ?0.50 instead of over ?3.00.

2 - There is a minority of youths getting drunk and being arseholes.

Due to the said arseholes, the literally millions of normal people have to suffer.
Isn't this the nanny state - next it will be putting up the price of chocolate because some people with zero self control eat too much and are overweight.

Well how about instead of punishing normal people (As if this damned government is capable of logical thinking), they target the culprits.
Put up the duty on the crud that the youths tend to be drinking - alcopops and sweet cider.
As already said, make drunks liable for their medical bills - though this is perhaps a dangerous route to be going down.

As for pub owners, if they weren't so expensive, perhaps more people would frequent them. Stop moaning about competition.
Hiromi On April 04, 2009

Deleted

, Gaza Strip
#32New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 16:36:38
I will drink even more to protest!!
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#33New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 16:55:49
@Jeopardy Said

They have drawn up plans to charge at least 50p per unit and at least ?4.50 for a bottle of wine. They believe the 50p per unit of alcohol will reduse drinking by 7%!

So what do you think!? Is it really going to affect you that much!?
At that price I would be making my own wine and beer on a regular basis.
sienna On April 24, 2009

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#34New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 17:24:44
In this Country we are already taxed to the hilt on loads of things and putting extra duty on alcohol on a regular basis has never had too much effect previously, so I doubtif this will make much difference to the majority of people who do enjoy having a drink.
As for those crazy...often trouble causing binge drinkers here, they are past being aware of just how much they are paying out by the time they get "off their heads" on the stuff.
I like a couple of glasses of wine myself when out with friends or family, usually when eating out too. So I expect I will be guilty of the cost not changing my habits either....

As to what "Kentoo" said re-making your own beer& wine, actually I personally know quite a few people who has started making their own recently, particularly wines...

Sienna

"Speak Your Mind, Even If Your Voice Shakes"
Jeopardy On April 29, 2011

, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 17:33:27
Making your own now seems to be the norm, i know more and more people that are making wine now and other alcholic beverages.

And the increase on alchohol with the credit crunch, could they pic a worse time!?
slayerman On October 10, 2009

Medway, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 18:35:58
i think its a stupid idea, although clearly it may stop younger people from trying to drink as they wont be able to afford it.
i think we shuld make drinking alchol similar to the european style as most drink from an early age and dont abuse it as soon as they reach illegal age.
x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#37New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 19:41:27
I've been watching this on the news today, I hate this idea!!!

My view is - If someone wants to f*** up their body - So be it. Let them do it!!! Just because some people cannot drink responsibly, the general public shouldn't have to pay more to deter them. It f***ing sucks. It's expensive enough as it is!
MiG32 On March 18, 2009

Quito,
#38New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 20:39:12
There is no way 50p will stop anyone from drinking.
They will buy cheaper stuff instead and keep on drinking.
Jeopardy On April 29, 2011

, United Kingdom
#39New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 20:49:04
@MiG32 Said

There is no way 50p will stop anyone from drinking.
They will buy cheaper stuff instead and keep on drinking.

The point is you wont be able to buy cheaper stuff! it will be the law!
Hiromi On April 04, 2009

Deleted

, Gaza Strip
#40New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 22:02:39
It be a money grab
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#41New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 23:15:37
great u think during credit crunch they would be making things cheaper instead of dearer

i dont think it will make much of a difference it may actually make it worse as ppl will just drink more b4 they go out and be spending less money in bars and more ppl will start trying to brew there on alcohol which could be kinda dangerous
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#42New Post! Mar 15, 2009 @ 23:57:22
@sheepy Said

As for pub owners, if they weren't so expensive, perhaps more people would frequent them. Stop moaning about competition.

There is very little profit to be made in the pub business these days. Most customers have little concept of the overheads it takes to run a pub. site rents, council tax, staffing costs, heating, entertainment licenses.. it all adds up to a ridiculous amount of money. A lot of pubs have to make ?500k clear a day before they even think about profit.. thats why so many pubs are closing down. I got out of the trade in 2002 and things were tough then.. it's far worse now. I know many old friends who are publicans who have given up too. The smoking ban has hit pubs hard especially the community pubs.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#43New Post! Mar 16, 2009 @ 00:09:13
I think the only thing it will really affect is the cheap 'never seen an apple in its life' cider we used to drink on the park as kids (ages 14-16)

You can buy a litre bottle of 7% cider for like ?1, it'll stop that, other normal drinks I can't see it affecting too much. Pub drinks are way more expensive than 50p a unit anyway.
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#44New Post! Mar 16, 2009 @ 06:56:00
alcohol is one of the few 'affordable' luxuries a person can buy. Its going to be one of the last things they will give up as things get tough. They'll give up on the magazine subscriptions, cut out a few coffees from their day and even buy less food before they give up the alcohol.

Nice try making it more expensive, its just not going to work but the tax take will increase so government will be happy I guess.
USA On May 25, 2020

Chicago, Illinois
#45New Post! Mar 16, 2009 @ 18:04:32
We don't live there... it probably wouldn't have an effect on us. Well, it might when we come and visit your country. Oh well.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs