Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#16New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 14:05:37
@derekdg Said

It might be because there is nowhere to keep everone that is arrested until a trial date is set? How many arrests are made in any given area {you say your family is in law enforcement et al so you might have an idea of the sort of figures} and the transport of them all to a secure detention facility. This even in a small city like Glasgow UK is a massive undertaking and expense.

It does also transgress on the fundamental aspect of justice that you have aluded to: in that we are all indeed innocent until proven guilty.

I wonder though if the bail conditions apply to those that are caught in the act of violent crime and those that are merely accused and arrested on alleged crimes?

Our Jail is old , outdated and we have a new one under construction at this time. The new jail hold about 60 maybe if that. The jail has to hold anyone arrested in both the county and the city because we don't have a city jail here. I realize the jail stays pretty much to capacity a lot.

The point is when you have someone serving a 1 year sentence or less they do it in the local jail ,not prison . Anything over 11 months and 29 days is sent to state detention. It takes months for them to transport them to the state facility because there is no room there either , so you have someone in jail for 11/29 for not paying child support. You keep that person in jail where they can not make any money to pay but you let a violent criminal out because there is no room. I know there's nothing that can be done but it just really sucks.
Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#17New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 14:07:44
@WildChild Said

Our Jail is old , outdated and we have a new one under construction at this time. The new jail hold about 60 maybe if that. The jail has to hold anyone arrested in both the county and the city because we don't have a city jail here. I realize the jail stays pretty much to capacity a lot.

The point is when you have someone serving a 1 year sentence or less they do it in the local jail ,not prison . Anything over 11 months and 29 days is sent to state detention. It takes months for them to transport them to the state facility because there is no room there either , so you have someone in jail for 11/29 for not paying child support. You keep that person in jail where they can not make any money to pay but you let a violent criminal out because there is no room. I know there's nothing that can be done but it just really sucks.

Have they considered weekend detention for the child support folks? Here, they sentence them to weekend detention, so they work through the week to make the money to pay the child support and spend the weekend in jail. If they miss a weekend or if they fail to make the payments, then they put them in for the remainder of the sentence.
WildChild On February 16, 2013
Perv Magnet

Southern Middle, Tennessee
#18New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 14:09:41
@Wingsy Said

Have they considered weekend detention for the child support folks? Here, they sentence them to weekend detention, so they work through the week to make the money to pay the child support and spend the weekend in jail. If they miss a weekend or if they fail to make the payments, then they put them in for the remainder of the sentence.

Wingsy On November 26, 2023
wingsdillialicious!

Wingsville,
#19New Post! Mar 13, 2009 @ 14:11:45
@WildChild Said

I wasn't sure about it when they started it here a few years ago, but it seems to work out pretty well for most. I know a guy who did weekend detention for a year and in that time, he was almost completely caught up on his back support and within 2 months after he finished the weekends, he was completely caught up. But the people who get it have to be willing to follow the rules.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs