The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

thousands attend peace rallies in northern ireland..

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
mark66 On August 21, 2011

belfast, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 18:43:58
in a near unique occassion in belfast and other cities including derry and newry people came on to the streets to call for an end once and for all to violence.... the rallies were organised by the trade union movement.politicians, former leaders of loyalist and republican paramilatary groups stood with, policemen, builders, shopworkers, bus drivers, council workers and ordinary members of the public including children (to young to remember the troubles) in an amazing show of strengh and unity against the recent murders of two soldiers and a policeman. there were people there who had lost loved ones in the past troubles, and their passionate calls for no return to the dark old days so that no one else would suffer like they had was very moving..... i am wise enough to know that people that carry out cold blooded murder anywhere dont give a toss about peace rallies, and it prob unlikely to influence them as an organisation, but it might stop others who would think about joining these groups from doing so, as they can clearly see the poeple of northern ireland have spoke very clearly in their condimnation of violence.
Charles On November 16, 2010

, Christmas Island
#2New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 18:49:47
These are the words I was thinking as I stood silently in Derry.

We stood shoulder to shoulder in total silence
Thousands standing to protest this insanity
Words worthless, they never listen to reason
Faces around me aged and strained
Faces that have witnessed hell on earth
Faces not prepared to see that hell return
Faces screaming their silent protest
Faces of our children spared the torment
Bury your weapons and not more bodies
Bury your hatred and trust the people
Learn to live and love and grow old in peace
Learn to be at peace with yourself
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#3New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 19:28:47
Great to see.

wish i could be there to lend my support.
chef_mia On December 11, 2012

derry, Ireland
#4New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 20:02:16
i missed it as i had to work outside da city but i seen it on da news and the rest of my family went

its great to see an united front

, Christmas Island
#5New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 20:08:10
I really think that Martin McGuinness went well towards the sort of effort to convince his doubters that the violence from the Provos is definately over. I would seriously fear for his safety from these madmen but hopefully they will be stopped before they do any more damage.

belfast, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 20:09:16
the people are united at the minute like i havent seen in a long long time,, hopefully it will stay that way. nice words charles and very true also.

belfast, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 20:11:45
@charles Said

I really think that Martin McGuinness went well towards the sort of effort to convince his doubters that the violence from the Provos is definately over. I would seriously fear for his safety from these madmen but hopefully they will be stopped before they do any more damage.

i must admit i was thinking that yesterday, the fact he went to the murdered policemans house to pay his respects was nothing short of amazing, and regardless of what anyone thinks of him it took "balls" to do that.

, Christmas Island
#8New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 20:17:45
I would not be a supporter of the Shinners but I agree that he has shown more balls than I've seen many leaders display for a long time.

belfast, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 21:56:12
@charles Said

I would not be a supporter of the Shinners but I agree that he has shown more balls than I've seen many leaders display for a long time.

i aint a supporter of the shinners myself, in fact i havent voted in years . but mcguiness and robinson have shown leadership when is was required and they are be to congratulated on it. the last lot of days have actually been a bit surreal to tell you the truth.

, Christmas Island
#10New Post! Mar 12, 2009 @ 07:25:35
I feel that these dissidents have welded the community together in a way they never could have expected.
Now the people that know the information about these people need to step up to the mark and prove they are as brave as our politicians.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs