Forums: Random:
Rants & Raves

Trivia

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#1New Post! Oct 30, 2005 @ 04:01:10
Does anyone else really hate trivia? I do. A lot. It's like, why do people even BOTHER memorizing all that stupid information?! The trivia games I've played were all dumb. The questions were soooo specific and about things I would have never thought about before. Ok so like I know I think about weird random things a lot, but like, these were things that were totally out there. Like, I wouldn't ever even try to remember any of this crap! It's pointless and stupid and useless!

Like, wouldn't you rather know about a variety of topics and rather in depth in a few, than know a little bit about everything and everything in like..one?! I mean seriously!

Trivia questions are so stupid and meaningless. Who really cares? All it is is guesswork...
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Oct 30, 2005 @ 04:04:49
Trivial Pursuit is my favorite game ever.

Occasionally I will sit down with the deck of cards from one of the games (Millenium Edition was my most recent conquest, but now I'm working on the 20th Anniversary Edition but forcing myself not to read the cards obsessively).

I find it interesting... I love knowing a few topics in depth, but I also like having a wide base of knowledge. I don't see it as memorizing "facts," as that really won't get you too far in life or in trivia games... the more you understand a wide variety of situations and their historical contexts (and all of these trivia things really boil down to history, no matter what the category... what we think of as 'history' is really geopolitical history) the more "trivia" you seem to know.

#3New Post! Oct 30, 2005 @ 04:13:13
@jonnythan Said
Trivial Pursuit is my favorite game ever.

Occasionally I will sit down with the deck of cards from one of the games (Millenium Edition was my most recent conquest, but now I'm working on the 20th Anniversary Edition but forcing myself not to read the cards obsessively).

I find it interesting... I love knowing a few topics in depth, but I also like having a wide base of knowledge. I don't see it as memorizing "facts," as that really won't get you too far in life or in trivia games... the more you understand a wide variety of situations and their historical contexts (and all of these trivia things really boil down to history, no matter what the category... what we think of as 'history' is really geopolitical history) the more "trivia" you seem to know.

Ok I can definitely see you liking Trivail Pursuit.

I hate history. And I know that it's really in all aspects of life, and it's related to everything, but I hate it! For the most part at least.
garnet On January 28, 2006

, Pennsylvania
#4New Post! Oct 30, 2005 @ 09:01:20
Trivial Pursuit is also one of my favorite games... and before you go saying you hate ALL history at the ripe ole age of 15, wait a few years. History in highschool was by far the most boring thing in life, because they want you to memorize dates and times and people. But when you get in college, you learn about concepts and how pivotal some points in history were. I'll bet then you'll find some part of history that interests you.

#5New Post! Oct 30, 2005 @ 14:19:11
@garnet Said
Trivial Pursuit is also one of my favorite games... and before you go saying you hate ALL history at the ripe ole age of 15, wait a few years. History in highschool was by far the most boring thing in life, because they want you to memorize dates and times and people. But when you get in college, you learn about concepts and how pivotal some points in history were. I'll bet then you'll find some part of history that interests you.

You're right, I do hate history from a textbook. I'd rather "experience" it, find things out for myself, you know? I went to George Washington's home in Mount Vernon last May and took a tour, and it was very interesting. I probably learned more from that one visit than all the reading I've ever done from a history textbook.

I'm taking a college level world history course at the moment, and I do definitely see a difference from last year's high school level course. We're actually required to know "parallels" and concepts, and major turning points, and how it impacts the world today. Last year we weren't even introduced to that. I prefer this, it's a lot of work, and most of it I'm still not interested in, but when we talk about something many years ago that directly impacted something today, then I kinda wake up That's what I'm interested in the most. And I understand that all history somehow has an influence on life today, but most of that I just put at the back of my mind and eventually forget about. You know what I mean?
glitter_sniffer On August 25, 2015
Om nom nom

Glasgow, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Oct 30, 2005 @ 14:22:15
I'm a cross between both views here, I dislike being asked about all these pointless little things, but for some very strange reason I also like to sit and red the Trivial Pursuit cards. I learn a lot of pointless knowledge, but as long as I'm not tested on it I'm very happy, I just like the fact that I have these silly things in my head.

#7New Post! Oct 30, 2005 @ 14:24:51
Random facts are cool. Like the ones that come on the opposite side of a Snapple cap!

Like, here's one: "Real Fact" # 159 "The first TV show ever to be put into reruns was 'The Lone Ranger.'"
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Apr 09, 2006 @ 14:12:54
Nope I hate trivia, I have no use for it and dont care to fill my head with useless information. although some creeps in

#9New Post! Apr 09, 2006 @ 14:16:06
I don't mind things I can relate to. I kinda adds to my randomness. People wonder, how the hell did you know that?

I've found that not many people know that John Mayer and Vanessa Carlton had dated for a while.

Why do I remember this? Because I thought it was totally strange My favorite male musician dating my favorite female one? But they're a lot alike I think. So I guess it's not that strange.

I have no idea where I'm going with this.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs