The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Art & Literature:
Literature

What are the most "Thought provoking" books? & why?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
emlyn On May 02, 2010

Deleted

, Ireland
#1New Post! Mar 07, 2009 @ 20:32:17
These r my entertaining, most thought provoking & insightful books

Conversations with God 1-3 & communion (the phasing is even better than the bible & far less misleading for a peaceful ethics)

Awareness by Anthony Demelo -My most inspiring thought provoking book ever
Some quotes“Problems only exist in the human mind.”
"You don't have to add anything in order to be happy; you've got to drop something. Life is easy, life is delightful. It's only hard on your illusions, your ambitions, your greed, your cravings."

"The Way of the peacefull warrior" Saga. This is reallllllly incredible. It's about a story of Dan millman in college which is lost in life. Then he meets a mystical old warrior working in a petrol station.... If you know of any fascinating stories on incredible wizard warrior like people I'd Love to hear them!

Illusions by Richard Bach is a fiction type of peaceful warrior but is still fantastic.

Deepak chopra -Way of the wizard- Another peacefull warrior type, Great.

The hermit- About a blind hermit that is taken by aliens on board a space craft, given is eye sight back temporarily & receives Alien insight on our universe & existence. Astonishing to say the least dudeS

The Body Hanif Kureishi- fiction Short story on a old celebrity that pays mllions to swop his mind to a fit man in his 20's, This should be a movie, Its origanal

The teachings of Don juan- I stepped into world I've never known with this book

Dialogues- Conversations with my higher self Mac Lean- Life CWGod saga, but more in the direction on questions with science, consciousness, mysteries & the universe. I've no idea why this master piece is hard to find, cos its deeply original and a fascinating read.

What are yours?
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#2New Post! Mar 07, 2009 @ 20:36:20
I'm reading this book called Ecopsychology: Restoring the Earth, Healing the Mind

It's a book of a bunch of essays from psychologists and stuff and it's just amazing. Everytime I read one it makes me think a lot.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#3New Post! Mar 07, 2009 @ 21:00:33
Just gonna pick a few from the bookshelf in my room that have been of great inspiration over the last few months.

Origin of species - Charles Darwin
-well that's self explanatory.

selfish gene- richard dawkins
-insightful look at how evolution actually works, must read for any layman.

trick of the mind- Derren Brown.
-fantastic book by mentalist and magician derren brown discussing everything from nlp to amazing memory techniques to the techniques used by fake mediums.

Why people believe weird things- Michael schermer
-a look at the psychology behind those who believe in strange things with such stalwart determination in spite of evidence. looks at everything from holocause denial to creationism.

Bad Science- Ben Goldstein
Writer of the bad science articles in the guardian newspaper, gives great insight into the scientific process along with wary tales of how the media and quacks have influecned public perception. covers everything from alternative medecine to the MMR scandal to celebrity nutritionists.

Brain washing- Kathleen Taylor
psychology and neuroscience based book detailing intricitely how the brain form ideas and beliefs and techniques used to alter and change those beliefs.
covers everything from torture to advertising.

They're the few that have 'blown my mind' over the last few months or so.
I recommend everyone read through them.
emlyn On May 02, 2010

Deleted

, Ireland
#4New Post! Mar 08, 2009 @ 13:36:19
Excellent, guys!
SugarcoatedStacie On March 15, 2010

Baltimore, Maryland
#5New Post! Mar 11, 2009 @ 19:31:38
If Grace is True by Philip Gulley abd James Mulholland.
Tagline: Why God Will Save Every Person.
Amazing book, simply amazing. I cried by the second chapter.

The Undertaking by Thomas Lynch
Tagline: Life studies from the dismal trade.
Awomse book about life, death and eveything in between written my a small town undertaker who see's it all.

Ray Bradbury - Farenheit 451
AWSOME

Animal Farm - George Orwell
AMAZING

Anything my Sylvia Plath (especually her poetry!) or Alice Hoffman.

Alice Hoffman - Green Angel
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Apr 30, 2009 @ 08:14:11
London Orbital by Iain Sinclair. Psychogeography as it applies to the M25. Well worth reading.
beckysbigguy On March 12, 2010

Deleted

#7New Post! May 04, 2009 @ 20:08:39
I find myself strongly attracted to 19th century Russian writers for their ability to examine the human condition. Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov are amazing tomes that gave me ample opportunity to reflect on humanity, love, religion and other salient forces that shape our lives. The same can be said for the short stories of Chekov. He's a brilliant writer than can expatiate a theme with a brevity that'll inspire you to think in a different manner and direction.
alexkidd On February 07, 2012
Captain Awesome!

Deleted

in a bog, Ireland
#8New Post! May 04, 2009 @ 21:09:13
just finished 'on the origin of the human mind' by Andrey Vyshedskiy.
Nice little theory on what makes our minds different to other animals. Detailing through experiment what animals can and cannot do as opposed to humans.
worpd201 On February 29, 2024
The Muffin Man.

Manistee, Michigan
#9New Post! May 04, 2009 @ 21:13:11
In the Shadow of Man - Jane Goodall.
mkrogstad On May 05, 2009

Bay City, Michigan
#10New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 01:44:56
Jodi Picoult writes some thought-provoking subjects in her books. However, the accuracy of some of her writings shows poor research. For instance, in her latest book Handle with Care, she writes a reference to Jesus and how nails shattered his bones during his crucifixion, likening this to the subject's bone disease of Osteogenesis Imperfecta. Biblically, Jesus never had a single bone broken during his entire tortue and crucifixion. That is a pretty simple fact to know or research and it is disappointing to read the errors. And there are many other small errors through the book, such as dates and other small mistakes.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#11New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 11:48:11
Life A User's Manual by Georges Perec. How many ideas can you fit into one book?
beckysbigguy On March 12, 2010

Deleted

#12New Post! May 05, 2009 @ 14:18:07
The Bible. It always makes me think "Holy s***! How can anyone with enough brains to remain ambulatory believe that this s*** is literally true??"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs