Fact-Checking Obama's Speech

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#16New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 11:31:06
Well I guess FactCheck.org must think that details and facts are important in a presidents speech. Or for that matter facts and details are important in any politicians speeches because the site takes the time to find out and make the information available to anyone that may be interested in facts and details. Otherwise how would anyone know anything about ridiculous lies or minor errors or lack of attention to details that come out of Washington .
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#17New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 11:37:01
@iwannano Said

Well I guess FactCheck.org must think that details and facts are important in a presidents speech. Or for that matter facts and details are important in any politicians speeches because the site takes the time to find out and make the information available to anyone that may be interested in facts and details. Otherwise how would anyone know anything about ridiculous lies or minor errors or lack of attention to details that come out of Washington .

You're still missing my point, apparently.

Checking the facts is good to do. But sometimes, the facts you check are inconsequential.

Here are two examples of factual errors, one is worse than another.

Example 1: "There is a medical bankruptcy every 30 seconds, therefore we should do more to help people with medical bills"

Not such a big deal if it's 30 seconds or 60 seconds.. the point is, it's a lot.

Example 2: "There is a medical bankruptcy every 30 seconds, based on this figure we suggest an $80 billion dollar program."

In this case, the difference between 30 seconds and 60 seconds is $40 billion dollars.

So you see, how it's not the details that matter, it's only the details that matter that matter.
karljkampovsky On May 13, 2009

Deleted

undisclosed location,
#18New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 11:43:02
I think you should check for bias in your sources,unless you have the same biases!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#19New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 11:49:30
@karljkampovsky Said

I think you should check for bias in your sources,unless you have the same biases!

About FactCheck.org
Our Mission

We are a nonpartisan, nonprofit "consumer advocate" for voters that aims to reduce the level of deception and confusion in U.S. politics. We monitor the factual accuracy of what is said by major U.S. political players in the form of TV ads, debates, speeches, interviews and news releases. Our goal is to apply the best practices of both journalism and scholarship, and to increase public knowledge and understanding

https://www.factcheck.org/about/
crankshaft On May 10, 2009

Banned

#20New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 12:29:13
@eL_TinO Said

You're still missing my point, apparently.

Checking the facts is good to do. But sometimes, the facts you check are inconsequential.

Here are two examples of factual errors, one is worse than another.

Example 1: "There is a medical bankruptcy every 30 seconds, therefore we should do more to help people with medical bills"

Not such a big deal if it's 30 seconds or 60 seconds.. the point is, it's a lot.

Example 2: "There is a medical bankruptcy every 30 seconds, based on this figure we suggest an $80 billion dollar program."

In this case, the difference between 30 seconds and 60 seconds is $40 billion dollars.

So you see, how it's not the details that matter, it's only the details that matter that matter.

We all know, had Bush made that many FU's in a speech, it would be headline news.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#21New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 13:58:04
@Selene_Dendawga Said

You're nitpicking a speech. That's really pointless because you're not checking the facts, you're checking a fact site. What happens if they're getting the information wrong?

Anyways, these speeches are the same thing he's been saying for months. Why not wait for the plan to start and if things get worse over the next four years or better before shaking a finger at him?

Sources
U.S. Energy Information Administration. Weekly U.S. Total Crude Oil and Petroleum Products Imports, accessed 25 Feb. 2009.

U.S. Energy Information Administration. Annual U.S. Crude Oil and Petroleum Products Imports from All Countries, accessed 25 Feb. 2009.

Woodward, Calvin and Jim Kuhnhenn. ?Fact Check: Obama?s words on home aid ring hollow.? Associated Press, 25 Feb. 2009.

?FDIC Head Sees Wide Benefit From Foreclosure Plan.? National Public Radio, 19 Feb. 2009.

?Everyday Mysteries.? The Library of Congress, accessed 25 Feb. 2009.

Kaplan, Fred. "The Air Force Tries to Save a Fighter Plan that's Never Seen Combat." 24 Feb. 2009. Slate. 25 February 2009.

DiMascio, Jen. "Gates: F-22 Production Increase Could Hurt More Affordable JSF." 7 Feb. 2008. Defense Daily. 25 February 2009.

U.S. Courts. "Bankruptcy Filings Near Million Mark for 12-Month Period Ending June 30, 2008," 27 Aug. 2008.

Naughton, Keith. "Ford Chooses Johnson Controls-Saft for Plug-in Hybrid Battery." Bloomberg News, 3 Feb. 2009.

Krishner, Tom. "GM picks S. Korea's LG Chem to make Volt batteries." The Associated Press, 12 Jan. 2009.

@crankshaft Said

We all know, had Bush made that many F's in a speech, it would be headline news.

@eL_TinO Said

So he got a few points wrong... what's your point?

Maybe if we had paid closer attention to 'details' and 'errors' and points in the past , who knows what would be different now?
VoidStalker On March 10, 2010

detroit,
#22New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 14:09:14
Yet another great thread, my friend! Lotsa links with lotas info to read up on.

Cya after classes, take care.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#23New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 14:11:01
Fact check is right about the oil usage decline since 2005.With the economy the way it is I would be amazed if it hadnt dropped in the last year or so. Shame on the president for not mentioning that. I expect that his speech writers will be admonished, however if one looks at the graph the point that he makes about the high oil consumption is a valid one. Never had the consumption risen above 13,000 barrels a day until 2005 and it remains that way since.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#24New Post! Mar 05, 2009 @ 20:24:07
@karljkampovsky Said

Factcheck.org is pretty unbiased.

@crankshaft Said

We all know, had Bush made that many FU's in a speech, it would be headline news.

I saw "fact checks" of Obama's speech on at least two news sites. Show me a headline of a fact check of a Bush speech that contained nothing but trivial errors.

@iwannano Said

Maybe if we had paid closer attention to 'details' and 'errors' and points in the past , who knows what would be different now?

Such as?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs