Random

Thousands Lose Jobs As Michigan Unemployment Offices Close

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#1New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 19:21:43
LANSING, MI?In another devastating blow to the state's already fragile economy, the Unemployment Insurance Agency of the state of Michigan permanently shuttered its nine branch offices Monday, leaving more than 8,500 unemployment employees unemployed.

Announcing the closings at a press conference, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm called them "a tragic coda" to a once-vibrant industry that until this week defined the Michigan economy and served almost one-fifth of the state's employable population.

"This is a sad day for the people of Michigan," Granholm said to a crowd of part-time reporters and former assembly-line workers Tuesday. "Our state has a long, hallowed history of unemployment, and with these closings, we have lost a vital part of our economic and social fabric."

Since its inception in 1937, Michigan's unemployment benefits system has been among the nation's most productive, outlasting the state's automotive and other industrial and manufacturing sectors to become Michigan's most enduring job-provider.

For many, the closing of UIA marks an end of an era. Flint resident Martha Ayers recalled the "glory days" of the 1980s when the line of workers waiting to get inside each morning stretched around the block.

"Helping people move on with their lives after they'd been suddenly fired is all I've ever known. What am I going to do with myself now?"

"People from all over the state used to come just to visit our unemployment office," Ayers, 52, said. "Just like Detroit, Ypsilanti, Novi, and most other Michigan cities, Flint's an unemployment town. Has been as long as I can remember."

The sudden collapse of the very institution that formed the backbone of the state economy has left its former employees in total shock. Many newly laid-off UIA workers have expressed dismay at how the closures were handled. While most front-line workers were given no advance notice, department heads were presented with pink slips a week before the announcement and privately urged to return to the office while it was still possible to collect benefits.

Fifty-one-year-old Paul Huegli worked for the unemployment office for 25 years, and now finds himself in the odd position of competing for work against the very individuals he once served.

"Helping people move on with their lives after they'd been suddenly fired is all I've ever been good at, all I've ever known," Huegli said. "What am I going to do with myself now?"

Some of Huegli's colleagues are taking action. Former outreach associate Aaron Corcoran, 41, said he plans to join his brother-in-law and move to Kentucky. "We heard there was a lot of unemployment down there," Corcoran said. "I bet they can use someone who learned his trade in the heart of the unemployment industry. We were the best in the world."

Although the UIA closures appeared to come from out of the blue, some had predicted the agency's downfall, calling its spending-based business model unsustainable.

"They were pouring every penny of profit back into the product, and with all this money going out and none coming in, it was bound to catch up with them," said systems analyst Mark Sturdevant, who had spent the past three months observing the UIA offices firsthand since being fired from an untenured teaching position in the economics department of Michigan State University. "No one, not even Michigan's state unemployment office, can elude market forces."

Despite seemingly grim prospects for the Michigan unemployment industry in the near future, Gov. Granholm expressed solidarity with the laid-off UIA workers, saying that she was "confident" the state will once again have a thriving unemployment industry. "In fact, within a few years, I expect to be right out there with you guys," Granholm said.

Link
JanuaryMan On April 15, 2009

Deleted

#2New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 19:27:22
This is real bad news. Many states are like this, so much big spending and when the need for money comes, sorry we are broke. WTF?
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#3New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 19:46:45
great, more jobs lost. what the hell are we doing?
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#4New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 19:49:58
Please check out the link and make sure you read the whole thing.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#5New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 19:53:03
the onion claims more victims lol
hedkandi1984_21 On July 23, 2013

London, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 19:53:03
It's theonion, people - they're not a real news source! Although, they are a highly amusing one I had a feeling it was them at this point:

""This is a sad day for the people of Michigan," Granholm said to a crowd of part-time reporters and former assembly-line workers Tuesday. "Our state has a long, hallowed history of unemployment, and with these closings, we have lost a vital part of our economic and social fabric.""

jinks On May 17, 2009

Deleted

no place in particular,
#7New Post! Feb 08, 2009 @ 20:34:22
What a hoot, only in the Onion. Tomorrows news today; perfect.

"In fact, within a few years, I expect to be right out there with you guys," Granholm said.

jobsy On June 18, 2009

, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Feb 09, 2009 @ 11:52:17
love the onion lol
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs