AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:09:58
@alexkidd Said

Thats great,
I was obviously wrong in thinking the term 'teenage mother' was interchangeable with 'unplanned child by a young teenager' i just assumed that the thread was about that kind of thing. no offence meant.

No offence taken i just really really gets my back up when people use the term 'teenage pregnancy' and associate negative things with it. I was just (by about 3 weeks) turned 19 when I found out I was pregnant so I'll be a teenager throughout my pregnancy and after giving birth, even for a short while.

I'm really really proud of it, and I hope that by telling people about me and what's happening people won't use the term 'teenage pregnancy' with such a negative emphasis.
VoidStalker On March 10, 2010

detroit,
#17New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:13:05
@angelcake Said

How ridiculous. Seriously.

Because someones a teenager doesn't mean they're going to live off welfare or chase the baby's father for maintenance because *shock*horror* some people are with their partners when they get pregnant and *shock*horror* stay together and get married!

Being married doesn't mean it's a loving relationship or that you're financially stable.

I honestly think you have a very warped view of what marriage is.

Actually, and unfortunately, I do have a good idea of how our well intentioned welfare system is, and has systematically been, abused by GENERATIONS of welfare abusers. Worse still, there is no end in sight.

And don't think I am saying all teenagers are deadbeats (I'm not, and do apologize if I gave that impression), but what I am saying is that, here in the USA, we have a serious problem with exactly that. I cannot comment on how things are in the UK, as the only time I ever set foot there was on an emergency deployment exercise, and didn't get to see much at all.
Say whaaa

#18New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:16:50
@VoidStalker Said

Actually, and unfortunately, I do have a good idea of how our well intentioned welfare system is, and has systematically been, abused by GENERATIONS of welfare abusers. Worse still, there is no end in sight.

And don't think I am saying all teenagers are deadbeats (I'm not, and do apologize if I gave that impression), but what I am saying is that, here in the USA, we have a serious problem with exactly that. I cannot comment on how things are in the UK, as the only time I ever set foot there was on an emergency deployment exercise, and didn't get to see much at all.

There is always room for abuse of a welfare system if there's one in place. Teenagers aren't the only ones who abuse it, and unfortunately by having children it's the 'easiest' way to abuse the system.

detroit,
#19New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:20:01
@angelcake Said

I'm really really proud of it, and I hope that by telling people about me and what's happening people won't use the term 'teenage pregnancy' with such a negative emphasis.

I also mentally pictured a (to) young girl, getting herself pregnant, with the prospect of getting a welfare check each month. I know several, and their mothers.

Your situation is the opposite extreme, (one that I overlooked in my hatred of the welfare abuser), and I congratulate you on your soon to be motherhood! Good luck, and I wish you and yours happiness in the years to come.
housesprite On May 13, 2009

, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:26:37
I was a teen mum had two kids by the time I was 17, not plan but my resposibility, worked when I could. Now both kids are grown in homes of their own and with jobs. Being a teen mum is hard but I was too scared to tell my parents till it was too late and too ignorant to stop the pregnacies. I think that if girls are educated in birth control and are taught just how hard bringin up a child is there would be less teen mums.
Say whaaa

#21New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:28:55
@VoidStalker Said

I also mentally pictured a (to) young girl, getting herself pregnant, with the prospect of getting a welfare check each month. I know several, and their mothers.

Your situation is the opposite extreme, (one that I overlooked in my hatred of the welfare abuser), and I congratulate you on your soon to be motherhood! Good luck, and I wish you and yours happiness in the years to come.

Thank you

As I said using the term teen pregnancy as a negative term just gets my back up because not all of us are about 13 and going to live off the state.

detroit,
#22New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:34:55
@housesprite Said

I was a teen mum had two kids by the time I was 17, not plan but my responsibility, worked when I could. I think that if girls are educated in birth control and are taught just how hard bringing up a child is there would be less teen mums.

Yes, I have to agree. I wonder what you would think of this idea:
Have a program where young teenage mothers come into high schools, and describe some of the less intuitive aspects of young motherhood?
housesprite On May 13, 2009

, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Feb 02, 2009 @ 19:40:11
Think thats a great idea I know that if I was more informed when I was a teen I would have never been a teen mum

detroit,
#24New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 08:45:06
If you wouldn't mind sharing, could you recount some things that took you by surprise? Things that you never thought of, or that were hard to deal with? Not trying to pry, and you don't have to answer if you don't feel like it. Just trying to get a feel for what your advise would be for prospective mothers in their teens.

Thanks either way.
hallucinogenic_lipstick On January 25, 2022
Cocksocket.

Ely, Cambridgeshire, United Ki
#25New Post! Feb 06, 2009 @ 08:54:20
I was a teen mum and bought up Kat's with a great supportive partner and with out the need to go onto benefits/welfare.

Ok its horrible when young teens fall pregnant but who's to say they can't be good parents? Parenting at any age is hard work wether you're single of in a relationship and unfortunately anyone can end up on welfare/benefits at any age.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs