The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
News & Current Events

25 five people to point the finger at....

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#1New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:22:59
Twenty-five people at the heart of the meltdown ...
The worst economic turmoil since the Great Depression is not a natural phenomenon but a man-made disaster in which we all played a part. In the second part of a week-long series looking behind the slump, Guardian City editor Julia Finch picks out the individuals who have led us into the current crisis....
https://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jan/26/road-ruin-recession-individuals-economy

Alan Greenspan, chairman of US Federal Reserve 1987- 2006
Mervyn King, governor of the Bank of England

Politicians
Bill Clinton, former US president
Gordon Brown, prime minister
George W Bush, former US president
Senator Phil Gramm

Wall Street/Bankers
Abby Cohen, Goldman Sachs chief US strategist
Kathleen Corbet, former CEO, Standard & Poor's
"Hank" Greenberg, AIG insurance group
Andy Hornby, former HBOS boss
Sir Fred Goodwin, former RBS boss
Steve Crawshaw, former B&B boss
Adam Applegarth, former Northern Rock boss
d*** Fuld, Lehman Brothers chief executive
Ralph Cioffi and Matthew Tannin
Lewis Ranieri
Joseph Cassano, AIG Financial Products
Chuck Prince, former Citi boss
Angelo Mozilo, Countrywide Financial
Stan O'Neal, former boss of Merrill Lynch
Jimmy Cayne, former Bear Stearns boss

Others
Christopher Dodd, chairman, Senate banking committee (Democrat)
Geir Haarde, Icelandic prime minister
The American public
John Tiner, FSA chief executive, 2003-07

....and six more who saw it coming
Andrew Lahde
John Paulson, hedge fund boss
Professor Nouriel Roubini
Warren Buffett, billionaire investor
George Soros, speculator
Stephen Eismann, hedge fund manager
Meredith Whitney, Oppenheimer Securities
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#2New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:29:58
Somehow, and yes, I do like him, I'm not surprised that Clinton saw it, and did nothing about it. He's just not that type of man.

Although, as a nation in whole, we should have seen it coming, and, at a personal level done something about it. There are people I know, who kinda saw it coming, and started saving like 10 years ago, so they could breeze through as best as possible. You know what, I wish I had listened to them.
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#3New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:30:17
First of all, let me actuall withdraw Gordon Brown. As far as I know, he was one of the nation leaders in the world to react quickest and try to do something about this.

Additionally, George W. Bush is the single biggest blame. USA have huge debts, debts that will not ever be re-paid, yet he spent tons of money in several wars. What he should have done would be to cut spending and let people live a bit tight for a few years, instead of having them crash when he leaves.
innit!

#4New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:32:01
My mum 5 years ago said the crash is coming, a year may 2 years ago i wrote a thread on here about the bust is coming very soon...
ConfusedWishes On July 20, 2009

Reno, Nevada
#5New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:32:38
Oh we're playing the blame game, I chose (points finger around a crowded room) him, him, her, him, the guy in the back with the bad hair cut, that Hispanic girl up front there and you. You in the mirror. I see you pointing at me!

This was not a surprise to those who pay attention to the markets and what is happening. There have been warnings for twenty years and people shouting at the top of their lungs about this. It started with banks lending money sub-prime style. The tower fell when we entered into War. The veil will break when the troops come home. There isn't much blue on the horizon, don't play the blame game though, because the only people really responsible won't be punished anyway. They cut town with their fortunes and sheltered up in the hills.

Hopefully you make it through okay though. If you need to play the blame game I vote you start up to thirty years ago, and work back from that. Maybe you'll be interested in what you'll find.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#6New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:32:54
Who did Barney Frank pay off, in order to not appear on this list?
innit!

#7New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:34:00
@chrill Said

First of all, let me actuall withdraw Gordon Brown. As far as I know, he was one of the nation leaders in the world to react quickest and try to do something about this.

Additionally, George W. Bush is the single biggest blame. USA have huge debts, debts that will not ever be re-paid, yet he spent tons of money in several wars. What he should have done would be to cut spending and let people live a bit tight for a few years, instead of having them crash when he leaves.

Brown was in charge of the purse strings of the UK for 11 years.. he was the man that made the UK have a boom single handedly, he even told blair to mind his business when it came to the economy.. blair saw it.. and did a runner in my opinion.. but the point is.. Brown was the man in the hot seat for the UK.
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#8New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:36:41
What does bother me, though, is that when USA went bad this spring, nobody here (Europe) cared. Most people probably said to themself "Oh s***, that cannot be good" but nobody cared. Nobody reacted. Nobody prepared. Here we are now - my family is hit severely by this "financial meltdown", my father runs his own company, depending on investors. Investors who does not invest right now.
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#9New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:39:17
Yeah, I was kind of surprised by the lack of reaction in other nations, you always hear about how USA is a conorstone of world economy. What did they think, that if we had our meltdown, then others would prepare some..

Sorry to hear about your family Chrill
crankshaft On May 10, 2009

Banned

#10New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 21:40:44
Everything goes in cycles. So, let me be first to say a boom is coming.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#11New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 22:15:20
why bother blaming?... one way or another, we couldnt stay on top forever... we'll get back there again though...

besides... recession could do us some good... we're too spoiled as a country... this may teach us to pull back on the luxuries... we're no where near the levels of the great depression anyway...

and either way... defining who's fault our current economy is wont fix anything... we just need to tighten up our belts and move forward...
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#12New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 23:11:00
How about we start pointing the finger at ourselves. Only we are responsible for where we are now. f*** i am such a hippie
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#13New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 23:17:34
How about we blame all our ancestors. I mean if they hadn't had some sex we wouldn't be here to have this crisis.

Or let's blame Ronald Reagan. You could make a strong argument that if the top marginal tax rate were still 70% that none of this would have ever happened.

Or let's blame some other person

treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#14New Post! Jan 28, 2009 @ 23:18:52
@eL_TinO Said

How about we blame all our ancestors. I mean if they hadn't had some sex we wouldn't be here to have this crisis.

Or let's blame Ronald Reagan. You could make a strong argument that if the top marginal tax rate were still 70% that none of this would have ever happened.

Or let's blame some other person

Hey! anyone who did a movie with a monkey is OK in my book!
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#15New Post! Jan 29, 2009 @ 20:36:01
@crankshaft Said

Everything goes in cycles. So, let me be first to say a boom is coming.

Very true, that's how it's all worked out historically as far as I've seen.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs