The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Moral right vs. Moral obligation Round 1!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#2New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 05:58:27
No, it was not your "moral responsibility" to do anything. You could have done more as an act of goodwill but you certainly don't have any responsibility.
Allyson On January 20, 2010

Deleted

, Michigan
#3New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 06:03:35
I think you handled it well,
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#4New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 08:04:12
Confused, I'm not going to comment on your specific situation here since I know from previous posts you aren't looking for advice but just an interchange of ideas.

What that leaves me with from your OP is this:

"Since I?ve become a member here it seems like all the religious posts have been of a prove it nature. It?s just silly and unproductive to yell at one another over the internet saying ?Prove it, prove it, prove it, ha ha see you can?t prove it!? Why don?t we discuss some actual morality here?"

If you look around, I feel sure you'll find genuine morality and discussion about everywhere. As for the debate? That's what makes a forum. Not everyone will agree with you or me. It's not a place to feel right all the time, but a place you can learn from others when you hear what their points of view are.
ConfusedWishes On July 20, 2009

Reno, Nevada
#5New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 08:39:45
@sunandsurf13 Said

If you look around, I feel sure you'll find genuine morality and discussion about everywhere. As for the debate? That's what makes a forum. Not everyone will agree with you or me. It's not a place to feel right all the time, but a place you can learn from others when you hear what their points of view are.

Please show me some worth commenting on.

A question I've always thought was tough but good: If you could save 1000 people by sacrificing a single child, would you?

My answer is no. But not because the single loss is to terrible a cost. Death is important, it's a fact none of us want to face, people need to die so that we may live on. Currently I believe we have overpopulated to much. Soon even germs will scarcely outnumber us. I'm not saying we should commit mass genocide, but we definitely need to stop living in Disneyland. If everyone lived to 100 the world would not be as nice a place to live in. It's tough but it's true.

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#6New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 09:10:01
@ConfusedWishes Said

Please show me some worth commenting on.

Confused, I'm not sure how to respond to this post.
If you don't like the site, or find the comments interesting, I guess you won't be here long....
Since you've only been a member here for 3 weeks, perhaps there are some posts you haven't read?
Just my 10 cents worth

Reno, Nevada
#7New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 09:11:25
@sunandsurf13 Said

Confused, I'm not sure how to respond to this post.
If you don't like the site, or find the comments interesting, I guess you won't be here long....
Since you've only been a member here for 3 weeks, perhaps there are some posts you haven't read?
Just my 10 cents worth

Subtract two and a half weeks from that.

I have severe ADD though.

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#8New Post! Jan 25, 2009 @ 09:19:17
@ConfusedWishes Said

A question I've always thought was tough but good: If you could save 1000 people by sacrificing a single child, would you?

My answer is no. But not because the single loss is to terrible a cost. Death is important, it's a fact none of us want to face, people need to die so that we may live on. Currently I believe we have overpopulated to much. Soon even germs will scarcely outnumber us. I'm not saying we should commit mass genocide, but we definitely need to stop living in Disneyland. If everyone lived to 100 the world would not be as nice a place to live in. It's tough but it's true.

I disagree.
That one child in your scenario could die at 2 years from cancer. Chances are slim the child would live to add much to the world. Working on odds of 1000 its different. Those 1000 people may be future scientists, future discoverers, future brilliant minds. They may be brilliant minds already, at work on life-changing discoveries. All of that could help generations of people, not just their own.
I also disagree with you because most people live until 80 something anyway these days. With advances in modern medicine, vaccinations and health care being what they are, most people in my generation will live until 100 at least. My kids will live longer than that....and so on.
The world and the people within it are amazingly clever - they have solved problems facing the globe before, and if over-population poses a real problem, they will solve that too. I feel respectfully that your scenario would be more relevant if we were all so over-populated that we were standing shoulder to shoulder on the earth with no more room left & the person with the longest neck to breathe the air would win.
We aren't there yet. Hopefully we won't be; I suspect that the world will be too smart to let that happen before it happens, if that makes sense.

Reno, Nevada
#9New Post! Jan 26, 2009 @ 02:33:58
@sunandsurf13 Said

I disagree.
That one child in your scenario could die at 2 years from cancer. Chances are slim the child would live to add much to the world. Working on odds of 1000 its different. Those 1000 people may be future scientists, future discoverers, future brilliant minds. They may be brilliant minds already, at work on life-changing discoveries. All of that could help generations of people, not just their own.
I also disagree with you because most people live until 80 something anyway these days. With advances in modern medicine, vaccinations and health care being what they are, most people in my generation will live until 100 at least. My kids will live longer than that....and so on.
The world and the people within it are amazingly clever - they have solved problems facing the globe before, and if over-population poses a real problem, they will solve that too. I feel respectfully that your scenario would be more relevant if we were all so over-populated that we were standing shoulder to shoulder on the earth with no more room left & the person with the longest neck to breathe the air would win.
We aren't there yet. Hopefully we won't be; I suspect that the world will be too smart to let that happen before it happens, if that makes sense.

That is just like us. Wait until the very last moment to care enough to change. We gamble with ourselves more than is acceptable, letting it all ride just at the brink and then looking for the solution. One time soon we'll come to regret our actions in this manner.

My money in on the super flu!
abzenze On March 21, 2011

unknown, Australia
#10New Post! Jan 26, 2009 @ 04:29:30
honestly i think you did the best you could without being too invasive.. for the fiance i hope to god she finds out and dumps him..
i wish there was some way she would know though.. she is going to get married to this guy.. what a way to start her life..
ael1969 On April 21, 2009

#11New Post! Jan 26, 2009 @ 04:49:51
Don't expect that because you do for someone else that it will be done for you. Not on your terms anyway.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs