The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

When will American culture take over the world?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
windstorm On June 28, 2012

Birmingham, Alabama
#31New Post! Dec 14, 2008 @ 04:08:46
@rubylights Said

what you said before was that everyone should adopt our culture. now you're saying that we should accept everyone elses' (as we've done for 200+ years) and they should accept ours, thereby blending all cultures into one big happy family. i like your second argument better. but the fact is that there is not enough tolerance in the world for that to happen yet. I doubt it will ever happen that way.

No, as I told you before, it is not my say. Just research statistics. We ARE NOT anywhere near becoming a "big happy family" and I personally wouldn't want it that way because that is the purpose of diversity. No one should change for anyone(I'm sure as heck am not) but like it or not it's happening, western influences are appearing everywhere and vice versa. But just because cultures are merging DOES NOT mean that they will ever become united. If everyone were under the same standards the world would be quite boring don't you think?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Dec 14, 2008 @ 12:03:19
@windstorm Said

In some cases, other countries are already experiencing the first taste of western American influence through by means of modernization and technology so domination is inevitable. But my question is, when will America fully be able to convince these countries to abandon their old-fashioned traditions and embrace the future for good?

WHAT!????
rubylights On November 30, 2021

Miami, Florida
#33New Post! Dec 14, 2008 @ 19:24:25
@windstorm Said

No, as I told you before, it is not my say. Just research statistics. We ARE NOT anywhere near becoming a "big happy family" and I personally wouldn't want it that way because that is the purpose of diversity. No one should change for anyone(I'm sure as heck am not) but like it or not it's happening, western influences are appearing everywhere and vice versa. But just because cultures are merging DOES NOT mean that they will ever become united. If everyone were under the same standards the world would be quite boring don't you think?

absolutely. i wouldn't want that to happen either. and i don't deny that western influences have extended past the western world. that's a commonly known fact. my argument is that, contrary to what you originally suggested, that's not necessarily a good thing.
AgentSmith On December 25, 2008

#34New Post! Dec 15, 2008 @ 12:29:51
American culture or what is probably a lack thereof, is probably the most powerful weapon in the US arsenal. Also the most effective-the fall of the Soviet Union can be attributed, at least in part, to the relentless propagandist projection of the west as champions of freedom. While western capitalist countries were accusing the Soviets of brain-washing and oppression, they were guilty of the same.
American is a melting pot of cultures but primarily, it is a safe haven for rebels and misfits. There was a thread in the politics forum which questioned the UK's asylum rules. This is just one example of what a government is willing to do(endanger its own citizens) for the single ludicrous purpose of supporting capitalist policies.
Of course American culture is strong, as I said before. With technology and entertainment a monopoly of the USA, no other country can compete. To do so would be foolhardy-infringing the first rule of logic NOT to complicate but to simplify. It is expected and shyly accepted-the intel chip and McDonald's.
Having said that, there is always an undercurrent of capitalistic design, of freedom, of unbridled individualism in American culture. It encourages rebellion, disobedience and mutiny. Most other cultures succumb to this heady mix of selfishness and indulgence, there are some, like the Muslim world which is the sine qua non of hedonism, ergo the antithesis of American culture.
Therein lies the problem of American culture-it's strength is its weakness.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs