Forums:
Random

for those who'll be "joining the gym" for your new year's resolution

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ultranewbie On December 31, 2012

el dorado, New Mexico
#1New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 00:05:37
Usually, we can tell the folks who've been thinking about joining the gym for their new year's resolution.

There are things the trainer/counselor doesn't tell you. After they've taken your money, what do they care?

If you're going to join a "hard/core" gym like Gold's..a.k.a. Jurassic Park, there are few things about gym etiquette that should be explained.

1) Working in: If someone asks, "may i work in?" let them..Don't use any excuses, or become defensive by saying "You have to wait til i'm done", or "I prefer that you didn't".."but i only have 3 more sets"..yes this, and many other statements have gotten a few folks in trouble.

2) if you're adjusting your IPOD and can't get it done within a fair amount of time, get off the the equipment, and adjust.

3) If you like talking, don't do this in the MIDDLE of the aisle, and get pissed off, when people pass - interupting your conversation. apparently, you've picked a high traffic area..

4) If you see someone who really takes their workouts seriously - don't interupt them in mid-rep..it can get ugly..at least have the courtesty to wait until they are finished lifting. I did that once, and almost got my head taken off..by a woman on steroids..i learned my lesson very quickly..

5) If a person is in the gym, and doesn't talk to anyone, and they are extremely focussed on their workout, don't take it personally..it just means they are extremely focussed on their workout..

6) don't use the bench press as your step-class, while others are waiting for the bench press..that's why it's called a bench press..

7) if you prefer to have long conversations with others? please, don't do it on the equipment. And if someone interupts you to work on it..just let them use the equipment and politely take your conversation elsewhere.

I have seen some strange interactions at some of the gyms. Usually, at about the end or first of the year..These occur due to not knowing "gym etiquette"..If you run to your counselor, thinking they will "settle the matter" they won't..they don't want to get caught in the middle of anything..so they'll just agree with you..and probably say: "I'll talk to them about it"..believe me, they don't..
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#2New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 00:09:22
Actually, that is really interesting.

What is working in?
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#3New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 00:14:05
I found some exercise DVDs I love and I will never join a gym again

el dorado, New Mexico
#4New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 01:56:44
good..but if you join a gym, maybe you'll remember these pointers. saves your a** later..

working in just means taking turns..
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#5New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 02:25:16
HAHA

I'm switching gyms January and I'm joining Golds.

Haha
VeraBlue On December 10, 2008

, New Jersey
#6New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 11:55:09
And the cell phones use!!! Honestly, is your life that important that you cannot leave your cell phone in the locker while you work out? I go to Gold's gym (haha, talk about your meatheads and fat necks) so there is rarely a problem finding enough equipment. The place is huge with lots lots lots of everything. So...if you see someone on one of the cardio pieces and you plan to blabber on the phone the whole time, put a little space between you and the person not on the phone.

And for the loveofgod, wipe the machines down when you are done.
VeraBlue On December 10, 2008

, New Jersey
#7New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 12:02:17
@squirt_aka_casey Said

Actually, that is really interesting.

What is working in?

Say there is one bench press machine and you happen to be using it, doing 5 sets of 10 reps. JoeBlow from Chicago wants to do some bench pressing too, and waiting isn't an option. He should ask first how much longer you'll be. If there is only two sets, he can and should wait. Working in usually means changing the weights and moving the seat. Very time consuming. If you just got into your routine, you should be willing to let someone work in. Finish your set, get up. Wipe down the seat, too! He'll move the seat, change the weights, and do one set, then get up. He should wipe down the seat, as well, especially since he saw you do it. Then you do another set, after you change the weights and seat back.

Who changes what? Also a confusing question. If you are already mid sets, and you get up for someone, you can leave the stuff the way you had it. Hey, there is always the chance the person working in is the same size and lifts the same amount, right? That person will make alterations to fit his needs. Then he'll get up and most likely will leave everything the way he used it. If you have to change it back, just do it. If he changes everything back for you, great, but don't expect it.

Whenever you are done, you move on. A third person should never ask to work in. Two on one piece of equipment is enough.

el dorado, New Mexico
#8New Post! Dec 05, 2008 @ 23:46:38
whoa! Vera Blue! you sound like a pro..

i will say, the cell phones do cause a problem..several folks sit on the equipment either talking on the cell phones, or in many cases - reading a newspaper or magazine between sets..i'm not kidding..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs