Politics

Violent crime exam

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
LordDaem On May 08, 2012

Wallington, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 15:24:56
Hi guys.

Ok, I'm studying media at college, and I have to get people's opinions on a hypothesis for part of my final exam.

My working Hypothesis is:
How are violent crimes represented in the media, and what effect does this have on the stereotypical views on groups such as Teenagers and Ethnic Minorities?

Could people give their opinions on this question. It doesn't matter how detailed it is, but the more detailed the better
AshleyB On November 21, 2008

Deleted

Hobart, Australia
#2New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 15:32:11
I sometimes that the older generations are way too hard on the younger generations, you know. There's a lot of young d***heads out there, doesnt mean all young folk are, if you get what i mean.
claudibee On November 13, 2009
I will NOT!!

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 15:32:34
@LordDaem Said

Hi guys.

Ok, I'm studying media at college, and I have to get people's opinions on a hypothesis for part of my final exam.

How are violent crimes represented in the media, and what effect does this have on the stereotypical views on groups such as Teenagers and Ethnic Minorities?

Could people give their opinions on this question. It doesn't matter how detailed it is, but the more detailed the better

There is definitely a fearful atmosphere around this issue. One result of media reporting is that some people tend to regard ALL teenagers and ethnic minority groups as dangerous, which is obviously not the case. Violent crime has always frightened people, for good reason, but the media are always inclined to find a good story and run with it, sometimes irresponsibly. Also, it is difficult to find out what the true statistics are, which is another problem when judging how much violent crime can be attributed to whom.
LordDaem On May 08, 2012

Wallington, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 15:40:38
Thanks for that guys

Keep it coming, I need as many opinions as I can get :DD
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 15:48:07
@LordDaem Said

Hi guys.

Ooo interesting topic, wish I chose Media.
Umm I would say that violent crimes are, particularly in tabloid papers such as The Daily Mail, turned into scandals, that, if anything, propel fear more than prevent it. This year they say knife crime is serious and all young people go about carrying them, whereas the number hasn't increased this year, the papers are just making a bigger fuss about it which could in turn lead to younger people feeling more inclined to bring weapons to school as they're scared of everyone else with weapons,etc. It's a bit of a vicious circle. I think Teenagers have been portrayed in a negative light by the Media; according to them we're anti social, knife wielding thugs who like to wear hoods, which I think has kind of created a false impression of the majority, which also can, I believe in turn, propel anti social behaviour as there is a lack of respect between younger people and the sections of the public who read the newspapers,etc.

Hope any of that helps.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013