Bisexuality

How to tell friends/family

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
helpisntfree On November 18, 2008

, Western Sahara
#1New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 08:17:59
Hello
I'm a bi-sexual male and am worried about how my friends and family would react if I told them I was bi-sexual.
Does anyone have any tips for how to tell them or how I can try and feel them out about how they would react?
Real answers only please, I don't like having to read through petty debates that have naught to do with the topic at hand.
Thanks to any willing to help.

John
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#2New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 08:26:24
Set up a Christmas lights display telling them.
Haha, sorry. I'll leave this to serious answers now. For at least a while.
edit: This help was free. Just this once. Like an initial consultation of sorts.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 08:29:28
Nobody can answer for your friends or family, we don't know what they are like. Although its actually none of their business who you choose to sleep with. All I can say is most people would rather hear it from you personally than via gossip. After initial weirdness and shock if they truly love you then they will come to accept you for whatever you are.
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#4New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 08:35:51
@treebee Said

Nobody can answer for your friends or family, we don't know what they are like. Although its actually none of their business who you choose to sleep with. All I can say is most people would rather hear it from you personally than via gossip. After initial weirdness and shock if they truly love you then they will come to accept you for whatever you are.

That's something I didn't consider. You should make sure your family sees the lights display first, or at least don't make it a gaudy monstrosity that will have the whole neighbourhood gawking.

Last one, I promise.
helpisntfree On November 18, 2008

, Western Sahara
#5New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 08:44:02
@treebee: thanks.
Though whether they truly love me is something I question at times.

@not4sale: so long as those are the only two.
Thanks for the slight amusement if nothing else from the first answer
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#6New Post! Nov 19, 2008 @ 07:33:37
Coming back or am I safe to make a few more cracks?
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#7New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 05:46:16
@not4sale Said

Set up a Christmas lights display telling them.
Haha, sorry. I'll leave this to serious answers now. For at least a while.
edit: This help was free. Just this once. Like an initial consultation of sorts.

This was not helpful but it was very funny.
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#8New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 05:51:15
If they can just write a Christmas carol and have a band playing it with the message in it, then they'll be set.
edit: I promise I won't make any more jokes. I'm prone to breaking that promise though.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 06:00:14
@helpisntfree Said

Hello
I'm a bi-sexual male and am worried about how my friends and family would react if I told them I was bi-sexual.
Does anyone have any tips for how to tell them or how I can try and feel them out about how they would react?
Real answers only please, I don't like having to read through petty debates that have naught to do with the topic at hand.
Thanks to any willing to help.

John

Hi John.
I am straight and trying to imagine what I would do if I were bi and wanted the close people in my life to know.
I would hate the lies & sneaking around that invariably goes hand in hand with big secrets. I can tell you that i would make sure I was sure that I was bi before I said anything to anyone. If I was sure, I would tell my friends - they love you for you and if they don't you are better off without them. Trust me, if they turned their back on you for this, they would have turned their back on you any other time your life got hard for you. Bi is no big deal these days and I wouldn't mind betting they already suspect.
As for family? I would be tempted to tell one family member and let the family grapevine take care of the rest. At least then you will know they know, but acceptance and understanding is something very different.
You may find your parents especially, will not understand bisexuality at all. I know how my father would react - "She's either gay or straight, tell her to make her mind up." They may assume it is a phase and it will take some patience on your part to explain that you are equally attracted to both males and females.
the only way to live is honestly, and I hope when and if you decide to tell everyone, it goes well. Wishing you the best of luck.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#10New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 22:45:39
Just spit it out and take it from there.. Either they accept you as you are or they'll throw you out.. At least it will be settled... Painful to you if they kick you out, but there's a lot of help for homosexuals out there now and resources to help you get on your feet.. I think it's called "The Gay Pride Group"? Anyway Good Luck!!!!
angelcake On January 18, 2016
Say whaaa

Eastleigh, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 22:52:21
I don't think it's any of their business who you chose to sleep with and I don't really see the point in outing yourself unless you have a specific person you want to settle down with.

Personally I wouldn't be telling my parents about my flings only the serious relationships.
lilbear On January 18, 2010
Aequitas / Veritas!

Deleted

, Canada
#12New Post! Nov 22, 2008 @ 22:53:54
@angelcake Said

I don't think it's any of their business who you chose to sleep with and I don't really see the point in outing yourself unless you have a specific person you want to settle down with.

Personally I wouldn't be telling my parents about my flings only the serious relationships.

That's true, I didn't take that into consideration when I commented...
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs