The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Bisexuality

Does owning a piece of bisexual-themed artwork imply that you are bisexual?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
limacoc On November 16, 2008

san francisco, California
#1New Post! Nov 15, 2008 @ 08:56:27
I am a bisexual women currently dating a man. This man collects art in his home and I found out through him that one of his paintings has a bisexual theme. Is it safe to conclude that this man is bisexual? If the best way to confirm this information is to ask him myself, what is the best approach to do it? Thanks.
el_diablo On December 19, 2008

Deleted

Maui, Hawaii
#2New Post! Nov 15, 2008 @ 09:03:13
I have no idea.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#3New Post! Nov 15, 2008 @ 09:05:43
If he is bi and intended to hide that from you, he would never have said a thing about the theme of the painting. I don't know how honest you have been with him, but if you ask him outright I suspect you will get an honest answer.
I am straight, but if I had to tackle this conversation I would make light of it. I would point to the painting one night and say "So how much of a fan of bi-sexuality are you? Do you admire it in theory or in practice?" and then just laugh and wait for his reply.
If you are dating him, you are entitled to an answer of sorts. Hopefully his answer either way doesn't make any difference to your relationship - and you are prepared to be as honest in return. Only fair.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 15, 2008 @ 09:24:17
well not necessarily but sometimes its difficult to come right out and say what your sexual orientation is to new people if its relevant to the situation so leaving clues kinda takes the edges off the surprise when they tell you or you happen to find out.

Having said that, when you say bisexual theme, if its two girls it may just be erotic art in his eyes. If its two guys then maybe he is fully gay or bisexual.

I guess when he wants you to know he will let you know.
svierge On January 24, 2011

minneapolis, Minnesota
#5New Post! Nov 15, 2008 @ 09:38:16
I'd just ask him. Or I would just point to the painting with the bi-sexual theme and ask, "How do I interpret this?"

Care to describe this particular painting?
hope On March 17, 2015

haifa, Israel
#7New Post! Nov 15, 2008 @ 11:55:12
@limacoc Said

I am a bisexual women currently dating a man. This man collects art in his home and I found out through him that one of his paintings has a bisexual theme. Is it safe to conclude that this man is bisexual? If the best way to confirm this information is to ask him myself, what is the best approach to do it? Thanks.

you can't be sure if he is bisexual just because he is owning a related painting.
why don't you just ask him for the reason he is having this piece?
limacoc On November 16, 2008

san francisco, California
#8New Post! Nov 16, 2008 @ 07:48:32
Hi everyone. thanks for the replies. The painting is not explicitly sexual nor does it depict nudity. It's beautiful, nearly wall-sized and probably one of the biggest paintings in his loft. It depicts two people (I assume a couple, or perhaps the two depicting the dichotomy of bisexuality) positioned next to eachother but inverted so that the person on the left is upside down in the viewer's eyes. It's hard to tell whether these people are male or female (which may exactly be the point). I don't recall breasts being visible but then the painting stops short just above the chest area. Tricky. Your analysis?
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#9New Post! Nov 16, 2008 @ 08:32:52
@limacoc Said

Hi everyone. thanks for the replies. The painting is not explicitly sexual nor does it depict nudity. It's beautiful, nearly wall-sized and probably one of the biggest paintings in his loft. It depicts two people (I assume a couple, or perhaps the two depicting the dichotomy of bisexuality) positioned next to eachother but inverted so that the person on the left is upside down in the viewer's eyes. It's hard to tell whether these people are male or female (which may exactly be the point). I don't recall breasts being visible but then the painting stops short just above the chest area. Tricky. Your analysis?

I understand your dilemna, but being straight, this would be a bigger issue for me than I would imagine it is for you. You're bi, does it really matter if he is too?
There are a couple of explanations I think:

1. He is bi and this painting is an expression of his soul - and he wanted you to know that.
2. He is straight & really likes art and was helping you out with a genuine explanation of the theme of the piece so you could enjoy it more.
3. He is very straight & made it all up & there is no theme, he was just flirting with you.

I'm sorry, that's the best I can do. If you really want to know, you will have to ask him. Unless of course, there are a lot of good looking guys who drop by all the time, and look at you like they want to kill you. For the record, I'm leaning towards option 3.
And please tell us either way lol. I'm intrigued now too.
Good luck.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs