The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Teens:
School

Would you enjoy school more if your teachers behaved like this?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#16New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:25:44
You really have a lousy team, they need reprimanding. We have advocates for our students. Do you know anything about that?

#17New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:27:55
I'm a psychologist so I understand the terms, it's good to explain it though. All education of other people can only help you.
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:30:18
I think all the points are really good and would have made all the difference - personally I loved school though but did hate some of my teachers for thier in your face attitude!!! I was in top sets and did quite well but thier attitude could make me retaliate and be stubborn - there just isn't a need to scream at someone for the slightest thing in front of the whole class!!!
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:30:27
Yeah I wished some of my teachers just did one of these.
We have some great teachers though! Another thing that is good is when they use different learning methods and quizes and things. And humour!

#20New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:32:49
Okay, it doesn't have to be a parent, just an adult who will go to bat for you. I'd demand a different type of test, one that fits your needs. If you don't feel that you're ADHD, then an adult can sit in on meetings and request, demand new tests. Do they have I.E.P.s where you live. Each student must have one, an Individualized Educational Program. In the U.S. they are required to keep students from being lumped into a pile. ADHD is the current catch all phrase when they don't know the right diagnosis. Is this helping?
salinaa On May 11, 2010

Surrey, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:33:15
Humour is defo a good thing

#22New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:34:26
Should have quoted, that last one was for Jessie.
dumdedum On July 07, 2009

-, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:36:31
@smallbutterflies Said

But having ADHD is no excuse to treat me like I am different. It seriously pisses me off. I would be sitting there and the teacher would be like "jessi, did you take your meds today?" In front of the class.

They would say this like I was too dumb to care. It truly pisses me off. They don't do research on things like ADHD and selective mutism. They just assume.

That is AWFUL! If there's something wrong with a part of your brain (not that I actually think you are like you said so yourself) it's not like you want everyone to know about it!

It reminds me of the time when one of my teachers told the entire class when my Mum had died when I wasn't there. Everyone was fake to me for ages. Girls who had tried to beat me up the year before invited me into their group in PE!

However she did that for a good reason - so people were sensitive but that's just nasty!

#24New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:40:08
@smallbutterflies Said

Yep, I have an IEP.

Selective mutism is an anxiety response. Until your emotional responses to what's happening to you are addressed, you won't get the help that you need. This should be part of your I.E.P. Please don't call all of us Nazis, too many are, but I go out of my way to try to help. I'm retired now, but fairly young, so I like doing this. It helps me too. Thank you for sharing.

#25New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 16:46:24
There are several articles on selective mutism under psychology. Maybe you've already looked, but you sound bright to me. Give it a look see and pm me if you have any questions. Okay?
tinydancer On January 18, 2009

Deleted

, Christmas Island
#26New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 18:41:56
All great ideas, except for the not reprimanding in front of other students.

I understand your reason for saying this, but not all students leave you a choice.

#27New Post! Nov 11, 2008 @ 18:51:49
There are choices in most things when it comes to how we treat each other. I'd certainly grab a child ready to harm themselves; but humiliation never solved anything.You can stop kids from doing something stupid in the presence of others, but save the reprimand for a better time. When tempers are high we say things that we don't mean. I'm no perfect saint;I just try to leave both of us with a sense of respect. I've reamed kids over the coals, but not within earshot of other students. Growing up is hard enough and teaching is one of the hardest jobs there is.
Teaching; show children and adults the right way to handle situations. We're human, we often fall short; keep trying.
cmh0114 On January 14, 2014

#28New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 04:55:03
For me, all of my favorite teachers have had a few things in commmon, in order of importance:
1.) They actually care about and have a personal bond with the students.
2.) They know when to bend and when to uphold the rules.
3.) They know what they're talking about. Especially needed for their subject, but also for other areas of life.
4.) They grade somewhat harshly, but do so in order to make the students understand the material, not to make them feel bad.
4 1/2.) They don't like making kids feel bad, but they understand it's necessary in order to learn.
5.) They have a comeback for the kid who makes a snarky comment that makes the kid look bad, not the teacher.

I don't know about yours, but my school district is much too focused on making students feel good about themselves than on actually teaching them the material. We used to get gold seals for an all-A report card - they discontinued it because some kids felt bad they didn't get it. We've replaced the system of honoring the student with the highest GPA to honoring everyone with a 4.0 or above. At our school, we had 40 valedictorians last year. Utterly rediculous. Of course, instead of analyzing the problem, they concluded that there were so many valedictorians because an A+ was worth about 4.25, so they took away the A+, when the problem is that "valedictorian" refers to the (singular) person with the highest grade point, and not to anyone with a good grade.
If you're teaching student teachers, teach them this: They want to get to know the students and help them get good grades. It's good if the students feel good about themselves in your class, but that's a secondary goal of school. The primary goal is to learn.

#29New Post! Nov 18, 2008 @ 05:08:26
I taught disturbed, but gifted teens; they were bright, but hated themselves. I got better responses and more eager learners when the students entered into a classroom that expected them to learn, but also gave them incentive to want to learn. When people feel good about themselves they walk taller try harder. Not all people are raised with a good work ethic' someone has to light the fire.
SpicyMonkey On January 08, 2010

Maple Shade, New Jersey
#30New Post! Jan 06, 2009 @ 21:25:43
The only thing you want to remember is be nice, but make sure you actually teach. I have one teacher, he is so funny, always tells us funny stories and hardly ever gives us work. But he doesn't teach anything. So when my mid-terms come around, I'm probably going to bomb it. And whatever you do, DO NOT, rush your students. They'll hate the class.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs