Society & Lifestyles

Surrounded by Flakes

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
BrianM On December 02, 2008

Deleted

Tacoma, Washington
#1New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 00:26:32
After relaunching my home business, I opted to incorporate this crazy thing called a social life as being part of the daily schedule. This is a mandatory element that you just gotta do in order to maintain your sanity, otherwise you end up going rather stir crazy.

I call these people up, acquaintences and relatives on a regular basis, yet they cannot bother to call back, much less drop by for a visit. It seems that these people don't understand the concept of a 2 way relationship, they can't grasp the concept that you are supposed to make an effort to keep in touch with your friends and relatives and not just assume they will always be the ones to take the initiave to get in touch. I decided that if these guys cannot bother, I'm wasting my time with them. A huge element about myself is the fact, I give freely, with no ulterior motive. It seems that if you don't have something that directly benifets them, they want nothing to do with it.
KZ_page On December 01, 2008

Deleted

lakeville,
#2New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 00:31:50
Maybe,if you didn't call them,You might get a call wondering why........
I think if it was me.I wouldn't be doing to much calling .
and if asked why,say something like.I guess I have been just as busy as you to have called.
roxygemini On April 16, 2009

Deleted

, Canada
#3New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 00:35:44
The world is a very selfish place. Sometimes you just have to realise that not everyone puts as much thought into others as you do. People can be a real let down if you dwell on thier lack of selflessness, so try to be the bigger person in the end and forgive thier flaws. Even through your frustrations you will find peace in being the better person. It's hard sometimes, but people are all flakes in one aspect or another.
backseatcynic On January 19, 2010

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#4New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 00:43:31
I've had friends and family act this way. But I don't take it like that. We all get really wrapped up in our own lives and those we see every day. In this busy-body life we live it's difficult to make time for those outside of the immediate circle of friends, family, and business, even for those that care. I wouldn't take it personally. It's a shame, but it's the way things are.

Deleted

Tacoma, Washington
#5New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 01:33:58
Thanks for the quick responses. I have decided not to call these people anymore. I've done that in the past and after a few months, some of them would chime in, but I feel, mainly out of guilt.

I do blame TV in part for it, for it has replaced real life social interaction these days and I guess you get numb in regards to the real world. I stopped watching it years ago and have found many other constructive things to do, when in the past, I would waste it behind the b*** tube.
lindasue1718 On January 13, 2010

San Antonio, Texas
#6New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 01:36:13
Perhaps you are trying too hard and don't give them time enough to respond before you contact them again? IF not just assume they have wrapped themselves up in their every day life and its not that they dont care. Give them the benefit of the doubt and let things flow as they naturally will. Except for one thing...if you have talked with one of them and said "yeah, we should do that sometime" i.e. go out to eat or something...I would keep trying because Ive lost two loved ones that I promised "we'll get together". I waited too long and missed out on a good time with them. I live with that guilt now. Sorry for the contradicting answer.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#7New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 01:54:26
@roxygemini Said

The world is a very selfish place. Sometimes you just have to realise that not everyone puts as much thought into others as you do. People can be a real let down if you dwell on thier lack of selflessness, so try to be the bigger person in the end and forgive thier flaws. Even through your frustrations you will find peace in being the better person. It's hard sometimes, but people are all flakes in one aspect or another.

As Roxy said, forgive their flaws, and be the bigger person, however; don't be a doormat to be used only when convenient for them.

Don't call them as much, and if they don't call you, don't sulk, or dwell on it...just see it as them letting you know where you stand.

It's better to find out sooner who your friends are, rather than putting all of you energies into a phony relationship, and getting no 'balance' back in return.
LadyBlue On November 12, 2008

Deleted

Memphis,
#8New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 02:32:43
I call people to death. I don't think they have much of a chance to call me.
kentoo On October 26, 2010

Salmon Arm, Canada
#9New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 02:53:45
People are what they are some are extaverts others are introverts . Like belly buttons you have innies and outies but all part of humanity

Deleted

Tacoma, Washington
#10New Post! Nov 10, 2008 @ 03:42:04
I grew up rather introverted, around my mid 20's, that turned around due to my job requirements, after getting into my own business, dealing with a lot of clients I ended up becoming quite extroverted.

These guys say they are going to call me back but never seem to get around to it. It's not like I'm calling them up every day, it's once every week or two, sometimes only one call every month or two.

What happens when you are working from home, you do not get the social interaction that you normally get at a regular work place. That, and your focus does remain a lot more with your work, so organizing the social scene does become difficult to schedule. I guess the biggest thing that frustrates me about it all is when I make these break through s and I'd like to share them with others who know what I'm talking about.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs