The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Homosexuality

Gay Marriage is a Civil Right!

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
inZane On April 12, 2009

#1New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 13:58:29
I don't wana have to move to Cali or Massachusettes to get married. That's not right.
And don't give me crap about: Civil Marriage is fine, just not legit marriage.

Saying you can be "common law partners" and not "husband and husband" or "wife and wife".
It's like saying, you can have the cake, but you can't taste it.

Those of you who aren't gay just don't understand. Well, how could you? How would you feel if the government told you who you can and cannot marry? It's not right, and is a blatant violation as our civil rights as citizens of the United States of America.
charger On October 01, 2009

bricktown,
#2New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:04:05
@inZane Said

I don't wana have to move to Cali or Massachusettes to get married. That's not right.
And don't give me crap about: Civil Marriage is fine, just not legit marriage.

Saying you can be "common law partners" and not "husband and husband" or "wife and wife".
It's like saying, you can have the cake, but you can't taste it.

Those of you who aren't gay just don't understand. Well, how could you? How would you feel if the government told you who you can and cannot marry? It's not right, and is a blatant violation as our civil rights as citizens of the United States of America.

just curious why the big squeal about marriage? i mean cant you just be a commited couple?
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#3New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:06:39
I totally agree with you. I'm straight, but I have gay friends. I know how some people treat them and it makes me real angry.

I mean why can't we just let people be happy and marry who they want to marry? Why do we have to take the joy of being with someone and marrying them away from people, just because they are gay? It's ridiculous!
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:07:02
@charger Said

just curious why the big squeal about marriage? i mean cant you just be a commited couple?

Married couples have more legal rights than just a commited couple have.

bricktown,
#5New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:07:48
@plebian_angel Said

Married couples have more legal rights than just a commited couple have.

so in essence is that the real matter?
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#6New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:08:56
@charger Said

Well charger, being in love isn't enough. The absolute foundation of true love is a crappy piece of paper stating that you're in love, or something to that effect.
inZane On April 12, 2009

#7New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:10:49
@charger Said

Because it's not the same thing. I want the whole deal, not just a part. Seriously, go tell a happy bride that she can live with her man, buuuuttt sorry, you can't be legally married.

When the gov't says: You can be a "common law partner"
They don't mean: "You can be husband and husband"

Thats the thing. Marriage is a legal bond between two people who love each other. It's way different than a "law partnership" or a "commited relationship". It's hard to explain to someone, they need to feel it for themselves.

bricktown,
#8New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:13:50
@inZane Said

Because it's not the same thing. I want the whole deal, not just a part. Seriously, go tell a happy bride that she can live with her man, buuuuttt sorry, you can't be legally married.

When the gov't says: You can be a "common law partner"
They don't mean: "You can be husband and husband"

Thats the thing. Marriage is a legal bond between two people who love each other. It's way different than a "law partnership" or a "commited relationship". It's hard to explain to someone, they need to feel it for themselves.

in that part i think your right in saying that some people cant understand, i guess i find myself in that category. no offense, just being honest.
inZane On April 12, 2009

#9New Post! Nov 01, 2008 @ 14:16:10
Another thing, there is no legit reason to ban gay marriage. Other than the fact that people are scared. For real, it won't hurt anyone.
sunandsurf13 On June 29, 2009

Deleted

Sydney, Australia
#10New Post! Nov 09, 2008 @ 04:19:49
I think the reason many gay/lesbians want to be married legally is that it protects them financially.
I read an article about a lesbian couple who lived together for 27 years - one of them died. The will was fought by the deceased family for years and they won. The deceased family got the money and property and the remaining partner got nothing.
inZane On April 12, 2009

#11New Post! Nov 09, 2008 @ 04:29:21
Yeah, financial security, and we just want to be like EVERYONE else and have the SAME EXACT RIGHTS as every other person in this country. I mean, it's hardly different than a interracial marriage The only reason we can is because PEOPLE ARE SCARED. Americans are afraid of change. It was a huge step electing a black prez, but I'm proud we dug our heads jsut a little bit out of the sand to do so.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs