Slavery and African American culture

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
VoidStalker On March 10, 2010

detroit,
#46New Post! Oct 20, 2008 @ 05:27:18
@asme251 Said

Racism, by its simplest definition, is the belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

*wikipedia.org

I agree.
So, as I suspected, my definition differs from the accepted norm.

My definition of racism is "a person who prefers the company of their own". This definition is my own, and does indeed describe me. I don't really go out of my way to have black, Hispanic, oriental, Asian, or other ethnic friends, but neither do I shun them. It is a simple preference, no more and no less.

I do go out of my way to shun people who drink excessively, smoke, or indulge in other habits or activities I want nothing to do with.

That said, I wonder how many people I know are racists by the WIKI def vs the number by mine. Does everyone else use the wiki def?
charger On October 01, 2009

bricktown,
#47New Post! Oct 20, 2008 @ 05:31:27
@voidstalker Said

So, as I suspected, my definition differs from the accepted norm.

My definition of racism is "a person who prefers the company of their own". This definition is my own, and does indeed describe me. I don't really go out of my way to have black, Hispanic, oriental, Asian, or other ethnic friends, but neither do I shun them. It is a simple preference, no more and no less.

I do go out of my way to shun people who drink excessively, smoke, or indulge in other habits or activities I want nothing to do with.

That said, I wonder how many people I know are racists by the WIKI def vs the number by mine. Does everyone else use the wiki def?

not sure, but i have to confess that while at a bar i have on numerous occasions ordered a black and tan, does this put me in either category?
VoidStalker On March 10, 2010

detroit,
#48New Post! Oct 20, 2008 @ 05:36:57
@charger Said

not sure, but i have to confess that while at a bar i have on numerous occasions ordered a black and tan, does this put me in either category?

blondieblue227 On January 08, 2012

, Virginia
#49New Post! Oct 20, 2008 @ 15:05:33
Thank you voidstalker for your post.

By your definition I wouldn?t be a racist. But I see your point. People are comfortable around people that are most like them. I suppose that?s partly why cliches form in high school. I think it?s human nature, to surround yourself with others like yourself.

I feel like I have a good range of friends from every walk of life. Female army general, African Americans my age that are disabled like myself, I went to a regular high school so friends from that, older middle class African American man. One area I will say I have no friends is middle class African American women. My African American disabled friends are poor.

I would call myself a racist when I make my assumptions based on what I?ve encountered thru my 29 years. Sad but true. In the back of my mind I know all people are different and it?s wrong of me to do that. My benefit of the doubt can only be stretched so far. At some point you will stop reaching out if your hand keeps getting slapped each time. If that makes me a racist, so be it.

Last week I saw a bunch of young kids getting off the school bus.
There two little kids in the middle of them all holding hands. A white girl and a black boy.
I started to cry.
MindMaping On December 11, 2008

Deleted

Nottingham, Maryland
#50New Post! Dec 09, 2008 @ 16:55:59
@blondieblue227 Said

Is slavery just something that happened to African Americans or is it a part of their culture?

I think it?s both. But I don?t understand why some African American still say whites oppress them because they were once owned by whites.
Yes, African Americans are in the minority. They will always be. What does that have to do with slavery?

Blacks owned black slaves.
They were free blacks in the South.

I watched this and loved it. Have you seen it?
PBS African American Lives
https://www.shoppbs.org/sm-pbs-african-american-lives-dvd--pi-2187368.html

Blondie, You need to educate yourself on slavery and why SOME black people still feel the way they feel. We need to embrace unity and get this race issue out of here. There is a great book out here called "The Real Truth About Race, Color and Racism" you will learn why white and black people can never be racially sperior or inferior to each other and why they should put racial division behind us. Here is the website
https://www.racecolorandracism.com/
blondieblue227 On January 08, 2012

, Virginia
#51New Post! Dec 10, 2008 @ 00:00:05
thanks for the link. i will put it on my 'to read' list.
21boat On December 13, 2008

lancaster, Pennsylvania
#52New Post! Dec 13, 2008 @ 12:20:53
Please I only know Americans that are black. Every time I hear African Amercian already states one thing.The blacks still wont let the slavery thing go. There is still slavery in Africa today. Hows this for black history . Of the first orginial 20 Africans that step foot in Virgina worked off his passage to get here for him and his son and wife. He then bought 5 slaves. Which gave him"Headrightd" The state GAVE him 240 acres. WHile he was in the Jamestown court 1860 one of his slaves "John Casor" wanted a white man for his master. Anthony Jonson told the court he paid for Casor to be his slave. the court ordered Casor that he will be life slave for Anthony Johson and denoed the white master his pettion for Casor.. The court ordered Casor to be a life slave for Anthony Johson. Casor became the first court ordered "slave for life" in all the Virgina State. So history is The first slave for life in Vurgina 1860 was John Casor and Slave Master was an African Anthony Johnson. at one point there were approx. 3,000 africans that owned 20,000 slaves and the werent family members. The biggest slave owner in the south was in New Orleans and that African had over 100 slaves and breed them which was frowned on. In true numbers 27 million Whites 4.5 Million balcks and the blacks owned more slaves than the white did by population. Our U.S. history did not teach us/ me in school in the 70s because again we didn't want to see Another Watts / Rodney King Riot. I am just giving facts and history. and the whys
21boat On December 13, 2008

lancaster, Pennsylvania
#53New Post! Dec 13, 2008 @ 12:36:53
The first endentured servants were white people in england. These were germans, Jews, Irish, ect. At one point the european nations stopped slavery. and stop dealing with Africa. Africa had nothing to trade for goods from the europeans so they turned to Britain. Since Britan were using endentured servants the African nation traded Balck Africans for spices, salt and goodsto the Brits. When this started The colonies didn't exist yet that years later.The work "kid Naping" was a Brit at night taking a child from an orphanage at night while the child was sleeping and there ergo kid Knapping. British had upper and lower class no middle. The lower class crimimals were sent later to the New World. They were slaves for life and lucky the colonist fought the Brits, Then fought the South and freed the Africans and the white slaves also were freed. Just Google 'White Slavery" The rest of the U.S. History Thank You.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs