The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

Should the rich help to look after the poor ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7
keighley On June 15, 2006

Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
#91New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 11:09:34
I disagree, it seems to be that we are being punished for developing our economy faster and more efficient than those of the developing world, and why should we be? Yes giving to charity is way to help but when not all the money goes straight to the cause - this is why people just stop giving, for example Pakistan has been hit with a devastating earthquake and is asking for International Aid to come from America and Great Britain, but what these kind souls in our country don't realise is that a few short months ago, terrorists from the Far East bombed London, And struck the twin towers four years ago last month!

#92New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 11:10:03
god bless their souls
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#93New Post! Oct 13, 2005 @ 14:03:27
@localisedgirl Said
its the decent thing to do? because they can? because they have a moral obligation? rubbish, why should somebody give their money away just because theyre deemed selfish? how about the government who deem the minimum wage to be expected to live on? blame should be pointed there rather than ppl who earn more. so, you net a job that earns you a decent amount, your not millions in wealth but can live a happy life, nice house, never worrying for bills etc, and you would be happy that a cut of your wages is to go to someone who earns less than you? leaving you less of your earned money?
i dotn care whatsoever what you would call me, if i earnt whatever amount of money, as far as im concerned, its mine. and mine to provide myself and my family a nice life. i am under no law, nor obligation to make a decision that doesnt benefit others. i find it extremely selfish to expect others to pay for others. wages in my area average ?5 an hour, even a 50 hour week isnt enough to get your mortgage paid and bills etc. but i woudlnt expect someone to give me their money just because i cant earn enough! as ive said, its down to government and employers who dotn pay ppl enough to live on! i also find it disgusting that your quick to slate soemone just because their opinion and choices differ to yours!

If someone were to ask me if I thought the government was screwed up and if current wages were unfair I would shout out as loud as I could, "HELL YES!" And, please, please, please get it through your head that I never said rich people should give ALL their earnings (think about Paris Hilton, who was born into money, has never worked a day in her life for the food she eats, spends wayyyyyyyy too much money on clothing and accessories that she wears once, then throws out. That is wasteful, pathetic, and completely wrong!) but more of them should be helping out. No one has ever "given" me anything, I have struggled my a** off to get the very few things I do have...and in doing that I have had three major nervous breakdowns, and have wanted to kill myself on several occassions instead of struggling for one more day. Why should people have to live like this? It's sad and so unfair...some of the sweetest people I know are poor, but behind closed doors these poor people are wanting to commit suicide so they don't have to face their struggles anymore. Stress can kill, ya know, so if that can be prevented, why shouldn't it be?
localisedgirl On October 03, 2007

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#94New Post! Oct 14, 2005 @ 08:51:40
@catt35 Said
If someone were to ask me if I thought the government was screwed up and if current wages were unfair I would shout out as loud as I could, "HELL YES!" And, please, please, please get it through your head that I never said rich people should give ALL their earnings (think about Paris Hilton, who was born into money, has never worked a day in her life for the food she eats, spends wayyyyyyyy too much money on clothing and accessories that she wears once, then throws out. That is wasteful, pathetic, and completely wrong!) but more of them should be helping out. No one has ever "given" me anything, I have struggled my a** off to get the very few things I do have...and in doing that I have had three major nervous breakdowns, and have wanted to kill myself on several occassions instead of struggling for one more day. Why should people have to live like this? It's sad and so unfair...some of the sweetest people I know are poor, but behind closed doors these poor people are wanting to commit suicide so they don't have to face their struggles anymore. Stress can kill, ya know, so if that can be prevented, why shouldn't it be?

in cases like Miss Hiltons, i believe the money shuold be pumped into charity, a lot of charities and a lot of money.
i still dont agree that lower income families shuold be handed out extra amounts from wealthier wages. this isnt my view or my words, but why is it their problem if a poorer person cant afford to live, or is struggling with money stress etc?
my familys needs and wants come before anyone elses, regardless of their situation. if i earnt a lot of money, and wanted to spend 7 grand on taking my son to Florida, why shouldnt i? i earnt that money and if i choose not to pump it into lesser families, then i wont.

#95New Post! Oct 14, 2005 @ 08:53:56
But the Hilton's have built their empire - can't they reep the rewards, thats plain as day punishment!!!
catt35 On June 05, 2012

, Illinois
#96New Post! Oct 14, 2005 @ 16:42:15
Maybe I was raised different, who knows, all I know is: We do not exist on this earth alone, and if I can help someone less fortunate than myself, I will and do. IF the selfish people of the world don't feel the same, then SHAME on you!!!!
baker63 On March 29, 2007

Deleted

, United States (general)
#97New Post! Oct 14, 2005 @ 18:01:01
What to do about those who don't have the means to get by is a very tough issue. Literally, it is a case-by-case issue. When I was working for this one bakery right about the time of welfare reform, my boss stated to use the county job placement program and we must have gone through 25 people in a 6-month period. All were very poor and were out of options. Almost all had no job skills so they started at the dish room. Washing pan at a bakery is dirty nasty job. Most quit within a week. No call just didn't show up. The job they did as a whole was very poor. Many items had to be re washed and when you asked them to do things, they didn't do it.

With that said I do remember 2 or 3 that worked out well and did a good job. Only one moved out of the dish room. This kid new nothing when he came in and he hustled, and did a great job. So we started to spend some time with him on a daily basis to show him how to make bread. He ended up working with the bakers, and after two years he took a position as a second baker with a satellite bakery in another state.

So giving money and opening doors for the poor is only part of the solution. The poor need to know what to do once an opportunity is presented to them.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#98New Post! Oct 14, 2005 @ 21:10:30
@catt35 Said
Maybe I was raised different, who knows, all I know is: We do not exist on this earth alone, and if I can help someone less fortunate than myself, I will and do. IF the selfish people of the world don't feel the same, then SHAME on you!!!!

may i be deemed for hell forevermore then
rocket325 On August 07, 2015

Northwest, Connecticut
#99New Post! Oct 16, 2005 @ 13:37:17
My concern if I lived in England, would be the amount of my income that goes to the support of the monarchy, in addition to taxes used to support legitimate gov't services. They spend more on pomp and circumstance yearly, than our President earns in his entire term!
bstumbo On April 26, 2006

Tiburon, Ca., California
#100New Post! Oct 17, 2005 @ 02:29:36
@baker63 Said
What to do about those who don't have the means to get by is a very tough issue. Literally, it is a case-by-case issue. When I was working for this one bakery right about the time of welfare reform, my boss stated to use the county job placement program and we must have gone through 25 people in a 6-month period. All were very poor and were out of options. Almost all had no job skills so they started at the dish room. Washing pan at a bakery is dirty nasty job. Most quit within a week. No call just didn't show up. The job they did as a whole was very poor. Many items had to be re washed and when you asked them to do things, they didn't do it.

With that said I do remember 2 or 3 that worked out well and did a good job. Only one moved out of the dish room. This kid new nothing when he came in and he hustled, and did a great job. So we started to spend some time with him on a daily basis to show him how to make bread. He ended up working with the bakers, and after two years he took a position as a second baker with a satellite bakery in another state.

So giving money and opening doors for the poor is only part of the solution. The poor need to know what to do once an opportunity is presented to them.

Baker,

I run a mentoring program through my networking firm that mentors 50 troubled kids each year. Some have been in it several years because they have worked at it and done a good job learning. Others disappear, just like in your situation. Education is a real priority, and if the kids get interested and work at it, we help them all the way through school.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#101New Post! Oct 17, 2005 @ 11:03:14
@rocket325 Said
My concern if I lived in England, would be the amount of my income that goes to the support of the monarchy, in addition to taxes used to support legitimate gov't services. They spend more on pomp and circumstance yearly, than our President earns in his entire term!

myself and many others have also stated opinions that the monarchy is the biggest waste of tax payers money and should be abolished.
i find it also a good example of this subject. Whilst us working class work our arses off hardly providing for our own, we also pay for the ott luxury lifestyles of the royals. whilst they live it up at our expense, we can only dream of earning a fraction of what they live on. whats worse is they dotn even work for it.
cashewgirl On October 25, 2005
Troll

shreveport, Louisiana
#102New Post! Oct 19, 2005 @ 04:59:37
im helping my daughters out they are always asking for money
cashewgirl On October 25, 2005
Troll

shreveport, Louisiana
#103New Post! Oct 19, 2005 @ 05:00:10
give give thats all i do
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#104New Post! Oct 19, 2005 @ 05:01:32
@cashewgirl Said
give give thats all i do

Can I have some too? lol

Seriously I think the rich should help those who can't help themselves.
rocket325 On August 07, 2015

Northwest, Connecticut
#105New Post! Oct 19, 2005 @ 14:30:48
@localisedgirl Said
myself and many others have also stated opinions that the monarchy is the biggest waste of tax payers money and should be abolished.
i find it also a good example of this subject. Whilst us working class work our arses off hardly providing for our own, we also pay for the ott luxury lifestyles of the royals. whilst they live it up at our expense, we can only dream of earning a fraction of what they live on. whats worse is they dotn even work for it.

well said!

A friend of mine who moved here from England, is a skilled mechanic
who said there, he could only earn enough to pay rent, buy food and necessities and a few pints of beer a week!

Here he was able to buy a condo and actually save a little each week!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs