Watching "Titanic" -- What I learned:

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
nothingtodo On September 21, 2010

Deleted

#31New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 19:48:22
@4000earthquakes Said

I think things like this are interesting.

I think it's interesting too, but I know if I was left up my survivor skills I would die early on.
4000Earthquakes On April 25, 2009

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#32New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 19:52:30
AlexKidd
Quote:
i think in actuality in an emergency situations like that people trust those in authority,

That is true. Look at 9-11... when the s*** hits the fan, you can't rely on any authorities. Remember that one operator telling people in one of the towers to "Stay where you are"?

You should have some knoweldge yourself on how things work.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 19:53:41
@jonnythan Said
I haven't.

Gah!

Ray Mears

He kills red squirrels. He's a badass.
Vizzy On February 20, 2012

, Florida
#34New Post! Oct 07, 2008 @ 19:55:31
My only survival skill-- avoid going for walks in deserts and or jungles. That's about it.
AgentSmith On December 25, 2008

#35New Post! Oct 14, 2008 @ 20:48:56
The movie Titanic is a frightening possibility because of the existence of mass hysteria. In times of severe stress and dramatic events, people may suffer mental dysfunction en masse. In such situations, the mind is no longer rational and will not see what is obvious to the casual onlooker. Nevertheless, survival skills training is a must to all. The method of teaching factors this dangerous phenomenon. All life-saving skills are taught through drills-repetition ensures spontaneity of response which lessens the impact of anxiety.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Oct 14, 2008 @ 22:37:33
@AgentSmith Said

The movie Titanic is a frightening possibility because of the existence of mass hysteria. In times of severe stress and dramatic events, people may suffer mental dysfunction en masse. In such situations, the mind is no longer rational and will not see what is obvious to the casual onlooker. Nevertheless, survival skills training is a must to all. The method of teaching factors this dangerous phenomenon. All life-saving skills are taught through drills-repetition ensures spontaneity of response which lessens the impact of anxiety.

I can understand the need for teaching survival skills to people who live in, say, a desert region, or somewhere prone to earthquakes, but not everyone. It's a waste of time and money.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#37New Post! Oct 14, 2008 @ 23:33:14
What about common sense skills? (It's not "common" sense, if nobody knows it.)

What about the logic of going underground when you might be stuck out in the open for awhile? Does anyone know that a basement is alleged to stay the same temperature (50 degree area) -- year round?

So if you are stuck without shelter, would not "common sense" tell a person it might be smart to dig an underground shelter? No. they'll sit outside and build huts and deal with the winds, rain, heat, cold... yet anyone can survive 50 degrees...

How hard is it, and how long does it take -- to teach these things to anyone -- in high school? What? An 8-hour "survival" class -- would be too logical to ask schools to provide the kids -- just in case?

There's no "common sense" because the people ask the "government" to take the responsibility of passing on knowledge to our children, while we're busy at work, and they fail to do that.

All the government does is prepare kids for the "work" force. So they can work their whole lives away and pay the government taxes the whole time...

But an 8-hour "survival skills" training course would be too much? How to make fire? How to purify water? How to protect yourself from the weather? Simple ways to provide medical attention for a wound?

History teaches me -- the government doesn't give a s***.
It's up to the people to teach themselves, obviously.

Lets go learn to win a new video game!!!! (that'll help)

God are people really this dumb?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#38New Post! Oct 14, 2008 @ 23:41:33
Basements aren't "alleged" to stay 50 degrees all year round. It varies almost directly with latitude - in NY, it's pretty much always about 48-52 once you get a couple feet underground. By contrast, in Texas it's pretty much always about 62-65. And that's not alleged, that's reality A lot of people use this fact to heat and/or cool their homes. Run a few water pipes underground and you can have an effective way to add or remove a significant quantity of heat from the home for essentially free.

It's a good idea to seek shelter if you're going to be in the elements for a while. But you also want to maximize your visibility since people will probably be looking for you. And you need to find a source of water and possibly food. So you can't just head for a cave or basement and hole out there until you die.

And, oh yeah, you can't just survive 50 degrees indefinitely. A guy in a T-shirt and jeans in 50 degree weather for an extended period of time will get hypothermic, especially if he or she lays down to sleep on the 50-degree ground or a 50-degree rock, which acts as a humongous infinite heatsink.

This is just common sense, of course. An 8-hour "survival" class would teach a bunch of high schoolers pretty much nothing whatsoever that would ever be very useful to them or even stick with them.

An 8-hour BLS, CPR, first aid, or WFA course would be much, much more practical and useful.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#39New Post! Oct 14, 2008 @ 23:52:50
So it's "true" that "underground" makes a lot of sense in some weather-exposure situations jonnythan?

I allege I should have said "claimed", or "stated", or "asserted", or "said". Did i say that right?
Bob90 On February 09, 2009

, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 15:27:38
@jonnythan Said

*blank stare*

It's a movie.

jonnythan wins this thread.

Banned

Joshua Tree, California
#41New Post! Oct 15, 2008 @ 15:29:13
Jonnythan wins? Oh. I didn't know it was a competition. Silly me.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs