The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Recreation:
Pets & Animals

Why do dogs attack a dog when it is hurt ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#1New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 06:52:06
-
When a dog is hurt bad , by being hit by a car, looses a fight with another dog, gets snake bit etc... and is crying and in pain , why do other dogs ,weather there is one or a dozen , jump on the one that is hurt and crying?

I have 2 dogs, one is 7 years old and the other a half grown pup a year old , the pup was kicked by a cow yesterday and today is pretty stove up and stiff, nothing is broken and there was no blood , but when he moves wrong he cries, the other dog seems to be ready to jump on the pup every time, like the crying is a signal to attack or something.

It's not just these 2 dogs. I have seen this 'behavior; many times before , every time there is a dog really hurt and or scared crying and yelping, any dogs close around jump on it and really seem to want to kill the poor thing .

I will not allow the 'healthy dog' to get any where close to the pup and had to smack him once last evening when he tried getting around behind me to get at the pup. Generally they are best buddies ,playing together ,eating from the same dish sleeping on the same doggie bed etc..

Just a bit of background info. We live on a cattle ranch and there is pasture all around our place, my dogs usually ignore the cows but yesterday a small bunch of yearlings can running and bucking past the yard and the dogs just joined in . except those yearlings hadn't invited the mutts and took exception one kicked the dog snot out of the pup . That is one lesson about cows he won't be needing a refresher course in, I'd be willing to lay odds on.
lets_see On May 17, 2009

Deleted

Alabama,
#2New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 06:57:13
crying is a sign of weakness and it is basic animal instinct to attack a sick or injured animal. basic rules of predatory animals, and dogs were once wild predatory animals.
backseatcynic On January 19, 2010

Henryetta, Oklahoma
#3New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 07:04:56
Dogs are also scavengers. Preying on the weak is easy kill, and so an easy meal. But it could also be dogs' way of putting the animal out of its misery. I remember watching Nature on PBS. They did a show on wild horses. I watched a fully grown stud shake a foal to death with its neck in its mouth. Needless to say it was difficult to watch, but the foal could not stand on its own. I can't imagine it was easy for the stud to do that, but sometimes you have to choose a lesser of two evils. So the stud chose to kill it instead of it being picked off alive by another predator.
lets_see On May 17, 2009

Deleted

Alabama,
#4New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 07:08:41
good point. my dog used to kill my neighbors cat. but only the ones that had inbred and thus had genetic and physical abnormalities. crazy how an animal can tell.
MartianLeader On February 20, 2015
PazuzuPossessed

Exorcist Drive,
#5New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 07:11:23
Its the way of surviving. In the age of before the dinosaurs say, the Female Dimetrodon would eat the weak young. Making only the strong survive!

View Image

Martian Leader
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#6New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 08:05:19
@backseatcynic Said
Dogs are also scavengers. Preying on the weak is easy kill, and so an easy meal. But it could also be dogs' way of putting the animal out of its misery. I remember watching Nature on PBS. They did a show on wild horses. I watched a fully grown stud shake a foal to death with its neck in its mouth. Needless to say it was difficult to watch, but the foal could not stand on its own. I can't imagine it was easy for the stud to do that, but sometimes you have to choose a lesser of two evils. So the stud chose to kill it instead of it being picked off alive by another predator.

I watched that program about the wild horses, that stud walked up so slow and almost gental to that foal after the mare had walked away. It was not an easy thing to watch but it happened so darn quick it was over almost before it registared what I was seeing.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 08:11:20
Thanks for the replies ,it never entered my mind about ' only the strongest survives' I was thinking along the line of the crys attracting unwelcome attention from other predators . I figured it was something in 'nature ' of the wild animals dogs came from.
MartianLeader On February 20, 2015
PazuzuPossessed

Exorcist Drive,
#8New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 08:13:13
@iwannano Said
Thanks for the replies ,it never entered my mind about ' only the strongest survives' I was thinking along the line of the crys attracting unwelcome attention from other predators . I figured it was something in 'nature ' of the wild animals dogs came from.

You are very welcome!!

View Image

Martian Leader
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#9New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 16:56:00
I never heard all this before, but could be...
yet, it's amazing how 'in tune' they are to our human suffering, and lay by ours sides protectively until better, like my dog does.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#10New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 18:12:54
Quote:
loveis I never heard all this before, but could be...
yet, it's amazing how 'in tune' they are to our human suffering, and lay by ours sides protectively until better, like my dog does

This got me to thinking and it may well be the reason I never considered the ' strong survive ' idea or reason, when I'm sickly or 'down in the dumps' my mutt Fred worries over me till it almost drives me nuts, it's always been more like I'm 'his human' instaed of he's' my pet',,
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#11New Post! Sep 21, 2008 @ 18:25:21
@iwannano Said
This got me to thinking and it may well be the reason I never considered the ' strong survive ' idea or reason, when I'm sickly or 'down in the dumps' my mutt Fred worries over me till it almost drives me nuts, it's always been more like I'm 'his human' instaed of he's' my pet',,

That is so funny, and so well put; my Lacey does the same thing...you might think they are fearful of "who will take care of me if something happens to them"?
But I know I saw genuine fear, and concern in my dog's eyes. (When I had a seizure)..
She kept putting her face up in my face afterward, looking dead in my eyes, with this little frown on her face.
I was touched actually by it. And it goes to prove that animals really are capable of deep love, just as we humans are.
nmontana On September 28, 2008

Canby,
#12New Post! Sep 28, 2008 @ 12:30:15
@iwannano Said
I watched that program about the wild horses, that stud walked up so slow and almost gental to that foal after the mare had walked away. It was not an easy thing to watch but it happened so darn quick it was over almost before it registared what I was seeing.

Stallions kill foals for the same reason that male cats kill kittens that are not thier own. They want to continue thier own genetic codes.
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#13New Post! Sep 28, 2008 @ 12:35:16
Its a dog eat dog world
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs