People who threaten suicide.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#61New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 04:12:14
@foxytrot Said

"we"? Who all are you speaking for? Sorry if I come off rude or uncaring, but I truly don't believe some people even deserve to breathe. Like that mother (I don't remember who posted it!) who allowed her newly wed to beat her 4 year old kid to death. I hope she offs herself

"we" meaning you and I disagree. lol
foxytrot On February 04, 2015
Turtle Ninja

Oceanside, California
#62New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 04:23:35
@annski729 Said

Eh, I can see where you're coming from. Although I can see the world as being a better place without people who commit horrible atrocities, I'm just not really comfortable saying I want anyone to die.

I just think often people's lives are so complex, and I guess I hope to try to figure out what got that drug addict or criminal to that low place in their life.

Don't mean to take this off topic, just thought I'd explain briefly.

Makes sense. You relate to or want to understand. I think some people just refuse to conform to society. I just want to exterminate by allowing them to exterminate themselves without caring what got them there. Everyone goes through hard times in life, but not everyone decides to hurt others along the way

@annski729 Said

"we" meaning you and I disagree. lol

Oh....that makes sense
annski729 On July 24, 2016

, United States (general)
#63New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 04:29:17
@foxytrot Said

Makes sense. You relate to or want to understand. I think some people just refuse to conform to society. I just want to exterminate by allowing them to exterminate themselves without caring what got them there. Everyone goes through hard times in life, but not everyone decides to hurt others along the way

Oh....that makes sense

I'm glad you asked and we understand each other now
foxytrot On February 04, 2015
Turtle Ninja

Oceanside, California
#64New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 04:31:23
@annski729 Said

I'm glad you asked and we understand each other now

I was like Which personallity am I speaking too?! I like to say "we" about myself to get reactions out of people
Suz74 On October 20, 2010

Nottingham, United Kingdom
#65New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 15:51:21
I would rather look at it as a cry for help than attention seeking - for anyone to threaten killing themselves they must be in a pretty dark place emotionally.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#66New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 16:11:35
@Suz74 Said

I would rather look at it as a cry for help than attention seeking - for anyone to threaten killing themselves they must be in a pretty dark place emotionally.

I agree.

I have a couple of friends who have tried to commit suicide when I was in secondary school, and one of them is STILL on medication and seeing a psychiatrist weekly. She has some pretty major issues, and to me, someone saying 'they should just get on with it' is a pretty awful thing to say.

The other person told his parents what he was going through, and how he was feeling (he had come out as being gay, and almost the entire school year turned on him - this was a a year after being diagnosed with Lukemia) and they just wrote it off as 'attention seeking'. He ended up in hospital, and was in the psych unit for over a month.

I don't think you should ignore a suicide threat, even if it IS attention seeking, they are doing it for a reason and need help.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#67New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 16:30:36
@iamthewalrus Said

My psychology professor put up a question today asking us whether or not we believed that people who threatened suicide are likely to actually do it. Most people in our class said no. They didnt believe that people who threaten suicide truly mean to do it; the general consensus was that these people are purely attention seekers with no means of following through.

My professor had a different opinion though. She believed that those people are extremely desperate, and that if they're willing as to go as far as threatening something that big, they're willing to actually do it.

What do you think? Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Would you actually tell the authorities, or someone else in charge if someone you knew threatened suicide? What if you knew this was a person who made threats all the time and wasnt taken seriously...what would you do?

I agree with the professor. I think everyone has thoughts of suicide one time or another...usually its not formulated...and often comes out like "man I want to kill myself" over a really bad period in their lives. But, I think if someone actually vocalizes it, especially in a manner of threatening the action in reference to something else, then the thought is well formulated enough to guess that this person has been thinking about suicide for a while.

And a thought can lead to more thoughts, which can lead to desperation to fulfill it.
MissOklahoma On June 04, 2010

Deleted

guymon, Oklahoma
#68New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:44:18
aren't they worried that it might hurt??? i can never imagine doing that to myself...
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#69New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:45:33
@MissOklahoma Said

aren't they worried that it might hurt??? i can never imagine doing that to myself...

You don't handle pain well?

Deleted

guymon, Oklahoma
#70New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:47:19
@grasshopper Said

You don't handle pain well?

if it happens the natural way!...but if your intentionally doing it, thats scary as hell!!!
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#71New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:51:12
@MissOklahoma Said

if it happens the natural way!...but if your intentionally doing it, thats scary as hell!!!

Yea true. Just think people are too afraid. I mean they talk about wanting to go in their sleep. But I'm curious why they don't wanna feel it. A little pain is good. Doncha think?

Deleted

guymon, Oklahoma
#72New Post! May 20, 2010 @ 23:54:59
@grasshopper Said

Yea true. Just think people are too afraid. I mean they talk about wanting to go in their sleep. But I'm curious why they don't wanna feel it. A little pain is good. Doncha think?

sometimes it might be!!!
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#73New Post! May 21, 2010 @ 00:50:01
There are absolutely people who threaten suicide for attention. They are people saying they want to die even though deep down they really don't; they are just saying, "Please. Look at me. Look at my pain. Convince me that it's worth living through." We all need attention though; it's not so bad to admit that the threats are for attention.

Then there are those who threaten suicide to get their own way. They are just manipulative little bastards that should just be shot, even if they aren't really going to kill themself if you break up with them. Especially if they don't mean to kill themself if you break up with them.

Then there are those who truly want to be dead. That's an inexplicabley dark and isolated place to be, and it's so huge that it's not uncommon for them to think about it for months or years, to talk about it, before actually trying anything.

And there are bunch of other types too. Bottom line though-- you had better be damned sure you know which suicide threat type you're dealing with before writing them off and telling them to stop whoring for attention. Otherwise you've just f***ed up your only chance to stop a death that will rip apart everybody this person knew, just because you were bothered that it might just be a plee for attention.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs