Forums: Recreation:
Cars

1965 corvette fuel pump problems

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
tolly On August 13, 2008

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
#1New Post! Aug 13, 2008 @ 18:09:17
I have a 1965 corvette 327-365hp engine, and have fuel pump problems. This is the third one I put in over a period of ten years most recently two in the past year. All three had broken fuel pump arm springs. Could anybody out here tell me what is causing this problem. Tolly
MartianLeader On February 20, 2015
PazuzuPossessed

Exorcist Drive,
#2New Post! Aug 13, 2008 @ 18:23:51
I'm not much help, but I love the car!! Ask robbyf he might know. I need to learn about the Muscle cars for next month anyway!! YAY!!

View Image

martian leader
tolly On August 13, 2008

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
#3New Post! Aug 13, 2008 @ 18:33:43
Thanks martian leader for the feedback.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#4New Post! Aug 13, 2008 @ 18:47:59
Tolly --
If the springs are breaking,... that is due to a fatigue-failure.
The fatigue-failure could be due to repeated excessive force being applied, or.....cyclic fatigue. Since you've replaced two pumps recently, I'd rule out the cylic fatigue for now.

Go back to the excessive force idea.... Is there any way you have to change the amount of force being applied? That would normally be by changing a pivot-point on an arm, or moving the mount-location. Sorry, I don't have a picture in front of me, or I might have some other ideas.

That Martian Leader is quite a girl!
MartianLeader On February 20, 2015
PazuzuPossessed

Exorcist Drive,
#5New Post! Aug 13, 2008 @ 19:29:25
@tolly Said
Thanks martian leader for the feedback.

@saegespaene Said
Tolly --
If the springs are breaking,... that is due to a fatigue-failure.
The fatigue-failure could be due to repeated excessive force being applied, or.....cyclic fatigue. Since you've replaced two pumps recently, I'd rule out the cylic fatigue for now.

Go back to the excessive force idea.... Is there any way you have to change the amount of force being applied? That would normally be by changing a pivot-point on an arm, or moving the mount-location. Sorry, I don't have a picture in front of me, or I might have some other ideas.

That Martian Leader is quite a girl!

thanks to you both.

* Smirking and laughing*

View Image

martian leader
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#6New Post! Aug 13, 2008 @ 19:50:23
@martianleader Said
thanks to you both. * Smirking and laughing*

Pour quoi, mam'selle?
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#7New Post! Aug 25, 2008 @ 08:19:16
There could be a whole list of causes of that particular problem. Has the engine been rebuilt? If so, how many times and have the main bores been line-honed or resized? What that basically means is that the main caps are machined slightly and the mains are then re-bored. What this does (aside from resizing and straightening the main bore) is makes the crankshaft centerline incrementally closer to the camshaft. Since the mechanical fuel pump is driven by an eccentric lobe on the camshaft, this could increase the leverage on the fuel pump arm. It's a long shot, but anything is possible when it comes to old cars. Another thing that COULD have happened is that you could very well have bought three defective pumps. Try a different brand or maybe an aftermarket part that may be more expensive. It does happen. I know a tech who had to replace 4 BRAND NEW PCMs because each one was defective. I would focus on the connection between the pump and the camshaft though. It sounds like something is putting excess leverage on the arm.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs