Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

religion and beliefs

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
samanthaxox On November 19, 2011

Chesterfield/Derby, United Kin
#1New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 13:40:13
what do you believe in, if anything, and why do you believe in the things you believe in? i.e did something happen to you to make you believe in it, were you brought up believing in these things as a child?

my perants have always taught me to live the life i want, so if i want to believe in something it is up to me to go out and find it, in doing this my perants have done alot more than they originally set out to do, they have let me open my eyes to the many things of this world, so i cant just believe in one thing, because when i start to question this, someone else comes along believing in something differnt which opens my eyes again.
markfox01 On October 23, 2021
innit!

Welshman in Brum.., United Kin
#2New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 13:44:22
I believe in my self.
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

nottingham, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 13:49:20
I don't believe in god. We were taught about god at school, but I always had my own opinions on it. I believe that jesus existed just my version is a little bit off of mainstream story. I have my own set of morals and I believe in my own intuition. Not to say I 'm always right, but I think you have to have belief in yourself as a person. I do believe in good an evil, though not in terms of a little red man with a pitchfork.

#4New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:13:02
@kayxx Said
I don't believe in god. We were taught about god at school, but I always had my own opinions on it. I believe that jesus existed just my version is a little bit off of mainstream story. I have my own set of morals and I believe in my own intuition. Not to say I 'm always right, but I think you have to have belief in yourself as a person. I do believe in good an evil, though not in terms of a little red man with a pitchfork.

what made u believe that jeasus existed? im just curious into how people get into the beliefs they have
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

#5New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:36:15
@samanthaxox Said
what made u believe that jeasus existed? im just curious into how people get into the beliefs they have

It's a fair question. I just think that the story is too old to have had no real origins. I believe that he existed and was a follower himself. I don't believe he was the son of god. The church changes religeon to suit itself. If I was a believer i wouldn't find it neccessary to go to a church to prey.

#6New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:39:22
you found this your own way then? it wasnt something u were brought up to believe in
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

#7New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:42:50
My parents were't religouss, its just not a subject we talked about at home. I'm fascinated by the whole story though, I do my own kind of study into it, but that said what interests me is how the whole story has been manipulated to suit the church.
bfelosi On January 09, 2013

Benham, Kentucky
#8New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:52:06
I find it sad that someone doesn't believe in God. Try prayer, talk to God as you would your friend. You will be surprised he will be the best friend you ever had because no matter what he will never leave you or forsake you.

#9New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:55:51
well i dont really have anything i believe in, i am intrested in all religions and things though.
kayxx On August 13, 2008

Deleted

#10New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:58:27
@bfelosi Said
I find it sad that someone doesn't believe in God. Try prayer, talk to God as you would your friend. You will be surprised he will be the best friend you ever had because no matter what he will never leave you or forsake you.

You see I feel no need to talk god, I don't believe he exists so thats like me saying to you to go talk to the fairies at the bottom of your garden. I'm not being mean it's just that I dont share your beliefs.
abraxael On December 23, 2009

Seattle, Washington
#11New Post! Jul 26, 2008 @ 08:56:39
@samanthaxox Said
what do you believe in, if anything, and why do you believe in the things you believe in? i.e did something happen to you to make you believe in it, were you brought up believing in these things as a child?

My mother raised my brother and I to be open-minded about most things. I think that there are many powers, principalities and influences in the world --some good and others not so good. I have hopes of Heaven and I tend to think of God as both a benevolent Spirit and a sapient ocean through whom we swim. Also, I've seen magic work, and encountered what I take to be faeries or nature spirits. I'm not so sure about extraterrestrial life, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't believe in Hell or the Devil, though. I think that when you die, if you've been very naughty you go through an extensive reeducation process. It might be a little bit unpleasant for some, but not to the degree of being immersed in boiling lava for all eternity. That's a story that psychotic parents tell to scare their children.
abraxael On December 23, 2009

Seattle, Washington
#12New Post! Jul 26, 2008 @ 09:09:38
@samanthaxox Said

There's as much evidence for the existence of Yeshua bar Yussef as there is for most notable people who lived two thousand years ago. While it's true that itinerant preachers were not a novel thing in the Judea of the time --nor even wandering wonder-workers-- the teachings of Jesus are peculiar enough for the time to have come from a single unusual person. I'm not going to make any claims for the veracity of the more mythological-seeming stuff like the virgin birth and the Resurrection, because even as a card-carrying Catholic I'm trying to work out exactly what I believe about those things. But it's clear that it was one unusual person who uttered the injunction to "Love thy enemy". Like many of the sayings which come from the Gospel of Thomas, that is just so strange that it had to come from a single peculiar person.
drgoofymofo On September 12, 2011

Council Bluffs, Iowa
#13New Post! Aug 01, 2008 @ 04:37:53
I was told if I looked for God I would find him... All I found were to many unanswered questions and the realization that the true religion is not on this earth. i still believe there could be a God but human's have yet to figure out the truth... and maybe they never will.
buffey On August 04, 2008

Dublin, Ireland
#14New Post! Aug 04, 2008 @ 17:18:19
I was babtised a catholic, but I don't believe in any of it I think it is an anti christian religion and I believe in God, I can't tell you why I suppose partly because I was taught to but when I did question these teachings I just decided that I do believe in God. I think it's hard to give a reason for a beliefe when there is no scientific proof other than I just do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs