Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#76New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:07:30
It is.
rockdave On May 23, 2009

peterboring, United Kingdom
#77New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:10:14
i would quite happily kill the lot of them. your view is the morally right one but not the popular and most widely wanted one.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#78New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:23:56
f*** morals! Let's do what's popular!
MlissaBeth On February 13, 2013
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#79New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 14:33:18
@jonnythan Said
It is.

Yea, that's because your against the death penalty. Most others seem to be for it.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#80New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 15:25:17
@mlissabeth Said
Yea, that's because your against the death penalty.

No, that's not why.

I suggest you don't automatically assume you know the reasons for another person's statements or opinions if they haven't told you.

Incorrect assumptions are the biggest source of misunderstandings.

Here's a statement that will throw you for a loop: I'm 100% in favor of executing murderers, but 100% against the death penalty.
rockdave On May 23, 2009

peterboring, United Kingdom
#81New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 15:27:43
so what is stopping you being in favour of executing someone who ruins a life from a very early start, probably something worse than murder?
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#82New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 15:30:59
@jonnythan Said
No, that's not why.

I suggest you don't automatically assume you know the reasons for another person's statements or opinions if they haven't told you.

K, then what was your reason for the statement?

@jonnythan Said
Here's a statement that will throw you for a loop: I'm 100% in favor of executing murderers, but 100% against the death penalty.

What sense does that make? Because you are 100% correct it sure did throw me through a loop..
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#83New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 15:42:24
@mlissabeth Said
K, then what was your reason for the statement?

My reason is that the punishment does not fit the crime. Inappropriately touching a child should not be punished with death, just like robbery should not be punished with hand amputation.

@mlissabeth Said
What sense does that make? Because you are 100% correct it sure did throw me through a loop..

It makes sense because the problem is that in the vast majority of cases it's impossible to know for sure whether the "convicted murderer" is really a murderer or not. The justice system has to treat every convicted person as if we are absolutely, 100% sure that the person did it. There's no gray area. But the justice system relies on "reasonable doubt" and not "absolute certainty."

This invariably results in innocent people getting convicted. Which certainly sucks, but it's pretty unavoidable.

But.. when it comes to execution, it's a bigger deal. We have executed innocent people. There are innocent people on death row right now. Innocent people have been exonerated from death row.

So, while I fully support the execution of murderers, the death penalty should not be an option because "reasonable doubt" does not mean "absolute certainty."
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#85New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 15:54:02
@mlissabeth Said
So you would support the death of a murderer if it was absolutely certain that he did the crime?

Yes.

However, it is logically impossible to have the death penalty available in our legal system and only use it when there is 100% absolute certainty of the guilt of the accused.

The legal system is set up in such a way that there is literally no difference between one convicted and another. There are no "definitely guilty" and "probably" guilty convicts. Once convicted, the game is up and you are assumed to have absolutely without question committed the crime.
Wait for it!

Tucson, Arizona
#86New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 16:03:27
@jonnythan Said
Yes.

However, it is logically impossible to have the death penalty available in our legal system and only use it when there is 100% absolute certainty of the guilt of the accused.

The legal system is set up in such a way that there is literally no difference between one convicted and another. There are no "definitely guilty" and "probably" guilty convicts. Once convicted, the game is up and you are assumed to have absolutely without question committed the crime.

Which leaves way for those who are innocent to be falsely convicted.

And what for those who have admitted to doing the crime?
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#87New Post! Jul 21, 2008 @ 16:16:11
@mlissabeth Said
And what for those who have admitted to doing the crime?

People admit to crimes often because the evidence against them would probably lead to a conviction at trial, and they agree to "admit to the crime" in exchange for a lesser sentence.

They can do this even if they didn't commit the crime.
EricM On April 14, 2009

#88New Post! Apr 14, 2009 @ 18:47:32
I found this site, Criminal Pages, it shows a map of the location of sex offenders. These offenders are photographed and have brief descriptions. You should check this site out, it's pretty cool.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs