Conscience

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#31New Post! Aug 23, 2008 @ 04:05:07
I believe that consciousness is a learned behavior that is supposed to benefit society as a whole. Before humans settled, they used to go in groups hunting, killing...etc and they did not have a consciousness. If they felt that their survival is being threatened, even from a fellow human, then they would get rid of that threat (by killing, running away...etc. So yes, consciousness does change. As to where it came from, I think it's from evolution itself. After all, you might notice how "good" things tend to benefit societies survival as a whole and "bad" things tend to usually benefit individuals (so it's obvious others would not like the "bad" things).
lupinstar On April 16, 2023

Wigmore, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Aug 23, 2008 @ 18:56:50
@asme251 Said
I believe that consciousness is a learned behavior that is supposed to benefit society as a whole. Before humans settled, they used to go in groups hunting, killing...etc and they did not have a consciousness. If they felt that their survival is being threatened, even from a fellow human, then they would get rid of that threat (by killing, running away...etc. So yes, consciousness does change. As to where it came from, I think it's from evolution itself. After all, you might notice how "good" things tend to benefit societies survival as a whole and "bad" things tend to usually benefit individuals (so it's obvious others would not like the "bad" things).

I agree that conscience can be learned, but i dont think it has too much to do with society. I especially dont think that the moral rightness annd wrongness of an action can be defined based on weather it helps society. For example, stealing when you have no food and no way of obtaining it i see as morally right, this obviously does not benefit society but could be said as morally accpetable and right. Another example would be the build up to the big russian revolution. Revolution being an act that could end a society into fighting and other such, i still believe there was need for such an act to happen even if there was a risk a revolution could have doomed russia.

Morally bad acts are also not just the things that help individuals, huge company's in my opinion commit terribly morally bad acts and it benefits for alot of hte high up people, its still very morally wrong what there doing. What qualifies an action as good and bad is your own conscience, which takes into account many situaltional points and then plausable absolutist rules. I make decisions based on my conscience and my own interpretation.

Im not even happy with evolution theory to be honest.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs