Politics

Race vs. Sex

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
rockdave On May 23, 2009

peterboring, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Jun 30, 2008 @ 22:46:52
in what way? he was the first bloke to say 'knackers to people who say the worlds flat, were going right around it' he discovered america and the west indies, how is that racist?
markthered On June 17, 2013

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Jun 30, 2008 @ 22:48:05
@rockdave Said
in what way? he was the first bloke to say 'knackers to people who say the worlds flat, were going right around it' he discovered america and the west indies, how is that racist?

he didn't discover america - go read a book
rockdave On May 23, 2009

peterboring, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Jun 30, 2008 @ 22:49:07
@saegespaene Said
It is not historically accurate... What Columbus first discovered were a few islands with indiginous folk, whom he called Indians, thinking he had already circumnavigated the globe. The first European to discover America was more likely Leif Erikson... The first bloke to find America was likely from Asia, hence the Alaskan Eskimo population....

How is that racist? I haven't got the slightest clue!

alright he was the first to patent america
jismo On August 09, 2012

bismarck, North Dakota
#19New Post! Jun 30, 2008 @ 22:53:38
@nonjohnston Said
Maybe we're only thinking about racism in its extreme forms. If you grew up in the US, you have a bit of racism that is taught to you. "Columbus discovered america" is the foundation of our history, and it is racist. And there are millions of points like that which have been taught to us.

I guess i can see your point, my grandfather is a racist pig, but if he had not been raised in the family he was raised in, he probably would see things alot differently. I find it extremely unfortunate that i had to be brought up around that kind of family, but i learned that people can be a*****es and talk about things they know nothing about.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#20New Post! Jul 01, 2008 @ 06:33:57
@jismo Said
So we all know that racism tends to be a big issue, as well as gender. But in our day which do you believe tends to be the bigger of the two? I'm not saying this because i am a woman, but i truly think that a tall rugged strong man would be hired for a job before a strong independent woman. Also on that note, i really doubt it matters on the color of the man's skin. He would still most likely be chosen over the female. This trend appeared to be dying out, but it has to be admitted that whether it is admited or not sexism does pose a threat in the work place. But what i wonder personally is why gender is such a big issue... I mean, both men and women have their own characteristics that they can provide and institute into a work place.

But back to the point.. which do you believe is a bigger issue in our day and age?
Sex or Race?
well i must tell you from my point of view....race is a much BIGGER issue with me.....and most blacks for that matter.....i'am bi-racial (white&black) i've never felt over looked for being a woman...but i sure as hell felt that way about my race.....CNN has a special in july called "Black In America" i wish everyone in this country would watch it....should be interesting!!!
pq On December 03, 2011

Deleted

Gainesville, Florida
#21New Post! Jul 01, 2008 @ 06:35:37
Race. You can make more assumptions with race than you would with sex.
warlock0622 On May 23, 2010

Shinglehouse, Pennsylvania
#22New Post! Jul 01, 2008 @ 06:38:57
I think racism is more in the public eye, but sexism is more commonly practiced.
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#23New Post! Jul 01, 2008 @ 14:09:44
@jismo Said
So we all know that racism tends to be a big issue, as well as gender. But in our day which do you believe tends to be the bigger of the two? I'm not saying this because i am a woman, but i truly think that a tall rugged strong man would be hired for a job before a strong independent woman. Also on that note, i really doubt it matters on the color of the man's skin. He would still most likely be chosen over the female. This trend appeared to be dying out, but it has to be admitted that whether it is admited or not sexism does pose a threat in the work place. But what i wonder personally is why gender is such a big issue... I mean, both men and women have their own characteristics that they can provide and institute into a work place.

But back to the point.. which do you believe is a bigger issue in our day and age?
Sex or Race?

I think both are comparable as issues when but racism is easier to 'spot' when it happens in a public situation so easier to prove sexism is as easy to 'spot' but not so easy to prove in public or a personal situation .
xoxosarahxoxo On June 16, 2009

wakefield, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Jul 01, 2008 @ 14:56:00
race
jismo On August 09, 2012

bismarck, North Dakota
#25New Post! Jul 02, 2008 @ 14:35:31
@pq Said
Race. You can make more assumptions with race than you would with sex.

I would definately have to disagree i think the tables are even, with the knowledge that each has their own assumptions with women they are seen as: weak, overly emotional, less valuable workers then men. Each race has its individual assumptins which could lead to the downfall of a company and the less likelihood of being hired.
ftw0890 On November 20, 2009

, Texas
#26New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 15:44:16
i believe that sex plays a bigger role than race.

in this day(well, at least where i live. i know it's not like this everywhere) nobody could really care less what colour you are, but your sex determines a lot of how people perceive you.

i can think of many times where people have thought i was dumb, or not capable of doing something just because i am female. however i can think of just as many times where i have gotten stuff for free or gotten people to do things for me just because i'm a girl.

so yes, it's true people do make judgements based on gender, every female is seen as a naaive little girl who can't help herself, but it does come with it's advantages.
not4sale On May 28, 2010

Banned

Melbourne, Australia
#27New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 16:14:34
Is sex race an option?
The guys have to make sure not to finish first.
simplydreadful On October 08, 2008

#28New Post! Jul 03, 2008 @ 20:10:20
I think it depends on the race/sex of the person doing the hiring.
Honestly, I've never understood why someone would want to be where they are not wanted.
If I sense that I'm not welcome, I move on.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs